STX (Street Touring X) STX Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 04:17 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have done the basic mods on my car. Pulley, springs, sway bar, intake etc. My question is I see some people running undersized tires on the "S" (15&quot running in STX. And I see some "S" in G-Stock class with pulley's. With the items I have I know G-stock is out. Is there any other class I could run in and be competitive besides STX??

Old 01-05-2004, 09:31 AM
minifinn
4th Gear
As far as I can tell you don't qualify for STX with the pully mod. Refer to this link.
SCCA Car Classifications

Old 01-05-2004, 09:32 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
The pully puts you into Street Mod (SM) with some monster horsepower cars.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
Does not seem fair to be put in SM with cars that can flat out kick the MINIs ***. SCCA needs to look at this and re-think the classification of this car with the modded pulley. With so many people making the improvement it only seems fair to consider it in another class that it could compete.

Old 01-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
>>Does not seem fair to be put in SM with cars that can flat out kick the MINIs ***. SCCA needs to look at this and re-think the classification of this car with the modded pulley. With so many people making the improvement it only seems fair to consider it in another class that it could compete.

Welcome to the wonderful world of SCCA Solo2 classing :smile: This is a common complaint across all the classes and cars. Unfortunately there is no kinder, gentler classes for MINIs with a pulley because the rules state you can't change boost and remain in a stock class or Street Touring class. All cars that change boost levels go to SM or into a Mod class (where cost and power-to-weight get really scary :smile: ) That said, the way that new classes get created and cars get moved is from a grassroots efforts to make the changes. I would recommend getting in touch with your regional SCCA chairperson and find out how best to make your case. There is also a fellow MINI owner that is very active in the Street Touring board which I will try to reach and bring into the conversation.

Mark

Old 01-07-2004, 08:12 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
That would be the Main reason I haven't and am not going to do a pulley change. It's a great, relatively inexpensive mod that produces good HP gains. Its too bad you'd have to do SO MUCH MORE to a MINI to make it competitive in a modified class. Just look at what happens if you have a JCW MINI. ASP. uh no thanks. I'd love to have a pulley, but I also like winning.

David
-V--V-

Old 01-07-2004, 08:42 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Yeah, I hear that. If all I cared about was autocross, I'd get a COOPER.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:54 PM
Tremec
2nd Gear
JCW in STU, no STU thread can I post here?

Well I Just ran my JCW in STU for the first time since they named it in that class, i've been running in ASP but nobody shows locally to run against me. I ran the SEDIV in Gainsville and was beaten soundly by a Z06 vette and a 04 boxter. With that being said, I just added the phantom Grip LSD with the stiffer springs, I have camber plates, Madness CAI with cowl mod, rear 22mm 3 way adj. sway bar, and a new set of 225/45/kumho mx'es on Enkei RSF1 wheels (14.9 lbs). It took a couple rund to find the correct pressures, and get used to non r-compound tires by the 3rd run the WRX STI had me down by 3 seconds and it wasnt looking good, checking the temps the tires looked good and even in the 95+ degree temp, 125 on the concrete the tires were in the 130s front and low 120s rear. A little frustrated with my performance I reved to 4k at the launch and dumped the clutch thaqt resulted in squeels and smoke from the mx'es and cheers from the bystanders so loud I could hear over the supercharger whine! The heat generated from the launch combined with the LSD allowing both tires to spin, and grip enough to set me deep into the seat. The end result was a drop from 54.460 to 51.113! besting the STI's prior 52.203 the bad part was the STI was running after me and had a good 50 second run going untill he coned on the last box before the finish. The last run I pushed to hard and got out of shape in the front side of the course and I came in at 51.962 at least prooving the prior run wasnt a fluke. The STI's last run was a near miss with him finishing with a 51.133! Yes! a win in my first outing by .02 against the big bad STI with coilovers, electronically adjustable Tiens, Falcans, and who knows what else as he is the leader for the local SOJ club and does all the ECU mods for the gang. Well he is a friend of mine too he has been posting my wife and my times on the national scooby forum along with their times. He posted our times as soon as he got home and is taking his first loss in STU with good humor. Im sure the game is on now and the wrenches wilol be turning at the scooby camp. Im not sure what to do next, rear control arms for rear camber? Shark injector? What do you guys think?

Old 07-26-2004, 06:59 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Tremec,

I think you can start your own thread rather than add to this one and just copy out the details in your last post. The places to consider posting is in the general Solo 2 forum and here since STX is sorta close and for MCS but you're kinda close to SM as well.

In fact compared to most people that run in SM you are much more modified. Most MCS owners are in SM due to having a pulley upgrade alone and have not done much except for intake, exhaust, springs, and non runflat tires.

What to do next? Sit tight and get to know your MINI better- just get seat time, seems like you are good already with your set up.

Rear lower control arms- Allows adjustment for rear camber to various settings. Stock is -1.0 to -2.0. Probably something around -1.2 to -1.4 would be about right but it may depend on your rear swaybar setting, wheels and shocks and springs.

Shark injector- easy to install and cheap, not much of a power gain, not sure if you can reduce your run time if you add it. Maybe 4-5 HP if that much.

Strut tower brace- good for high speed turns and track, not useful for autocross.

Throttlebody- Good for high rpm power as near redline or for track use, not useful for autocross unless you are redlining alot.

Autocross alignment- You have camber plates in the front yet you don't have rear control arms? What alignment settings are you using for front and rear camber. usually it's been suggested to have the front about -2.2 or -2.4 degrees and the rear about 1 degree less negative but with no adjustable control arms I'd guess your rear camber to be about -1.7 to -2.4 degrees.

I don't think your loud wheel spinning launch did much for the lowered time on your run, in fact your start probably lost you time due to wheel spin, but rather you made up some time doing the rest of the course well enough and didn't make other errors that cost time- Good showing.