Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Car Not Starting!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 04:39 PM
knoteynada
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Not Starting!

Ok, 2003 MCS 41,000 miles....

.... for some odd reason, it takes a while to start up. I turn the key (pressing the clutch of course) and it's like almost starting, but doesn't and then I turn it off and it starts quick. But sometimes, it starts but takes a little bit to start. It's weird. I'm guessing it's the battery.. but it's a new car. Could it be alternator? or Spark plugs? I'm not sure.

Help!?

Old 04-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Check the batt first; not just the color of the "dot" but also the terminals, I went through a few odd weeks until I pulled the batt cleaned the terminals and reinstalled it @ 54k and 4 years, 41k isn't "new" and stock battery warranty only lasts a year. How much of an 03 is it? (i.e. are you still under warranty?)

Old 04-21-2007, 06:45 PM
knoteynada
1st Gear
Hmm... so maybe I don't need a new battery? just need to clean it.

Yea, I just bought it, it's def. still under warranty.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Under warranty then take it in it might be any nubmber of things I was just giving you a logic starting point given the described symptoms.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:08 PM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hard to tell from your description. Does it turn over fast, or does it turn over slow. Your battery is probably 4 years old. I'd buy a new one. Most batteries don't last more than 4 or 5 years under regular use. I have an 04 and I'm shopping around for one for my car. Mini batteries looke kinda underpowered. I'd love to get something with at least 800cca's.
Is your car a daily driver or does it sit for long periods of time?
If you want to throw parts at it, get a battery. Otherwise you can go to a place like Batteries Plus and have them test it. They do that for free around my neck of the woods. That'll get you started. .

Old 04-22-2007, 06:57 PM
knoteynada
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chpsk8
Hard to tell from your description. Does it turn over fast, or does it turn over slow. Your battery is probably 4 years old. I'd buy a new one. Most batteries don't last more than 4 or 5 years under regular use. I have an 04 and I'm shopping around for one for my car. Mini batteries looke kinda underpowered. I'd love to get something with at least 800cca's.
Is your car a daily driver or does it sit for long periods of time?
If you want to throw parts at it, get a battery. Otherwise you can go to a place like Batteries Plus and have them test it. They do that for free around my neck of the woods. That'll get you started. .

yea, i guess i didn't even realize it would be 4 years old -- considering i just bought it, you know? it's a daily driver... i drive A LOT to and from work and school and home. It turns over slow... and then starts.. or turns over slow and doesnt start so i have to turn it off and when i try again it works PERFECT. I guess I'm just going to test it. Warranty covers a battery right? i got the full (gold) warranty.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:35 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Suggestion...Battery recall??

Originally Posted by knoteynada
yea, i guess i didn't even realize it would be 4 years old -- considering i just bought it, you know? it's a daily driver... i drive A LOT to and from work and school and home. It turns over slow... and then starts.. or turns over slow and doesnt start so i have to turn it off and when i try again it works PERFECT. I guess I'm just going to test it. Warranty covers a battery right? i got the full (gold) warranty.
Check with your dealer...I believe there was a recall on that battery anyway. I got a letter on my 03 from miniUsa offering to replace mine at no chg last year...of course by that time it had already died and been replaced...worth a shot.

Also the previous poster was correct...that BMW battery is a weak one at best! Mine had 2 dead cells at about 20k mi and 2.5 yrs.

Note; I no longer own a Mini (miss it but)...No more of those special "Mini Features" to worry about

Old 04-23-2007, 04:21 AM
dwgates
1st Gear
I'm not saying it isn't the battery but if the battery turns the engine over it wouldn't be the place I'd start. It almost sounds like it's not getting gas. I've seen several FI cars (not Minis) with fuel delivery issues at start up due to system pressure bleeding down at rest (bad check valve) or a plugged fuel filter. It would be good to check the plugs too as any crud on them makes starting tougher. The slow start and or trying two times to get started makes me think you are just taking up the time for the system to pressurize though. You might try just turning the key to get the fuel pump to turn on, wait until you hear it stop humming, and then start.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:36 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's the summer fuel coming on board . mine was fine all winter (after the winter fuel crap of coarse) and now it's doing this also . it'll go away soon .