Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

!!!2004 ENGINE BLEW UP WARNING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 03:07 PM
MiniOwner2004
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
!!!2004 ENGINE BLEW UP WARNING!!!

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
I have a 2004 mini cooper non S, 6 speed auto. I got the car used at 29,400 miles. Shipped it from new York to California. When I got it the pass window did not roll up also radio display was half burnt out. Called the dealer took it in they fixed both, no problem

1 month later oil light would randomly come on and off, also car getting hot some times. Called the dealer took it in they said it has a bad thermostat, they replaced and re filled the radiator, they also checked the oil said it was only 1/2 qt low. They could not figure out why oil light was coming on and off. 1 week later I changed the oil and used factory recommended oil and filter.
Now 2 months later oil light came on then off again while driving home. I pulled over checked the oil, level was fine. drove the car home & 1 block away from my house light came on and off again, then check engine light came on, car was not hot, All the sudden the car made a tapping sound then violently shook itself to a screeching halt!!!. It shook the car so bad I almost lost control, even engaged the air bag warning light!!!! I called the dealer they informed me to have it towed the 80+ miles to them and they would check it out. Well the next morning they called me and said that they checked the oil and it was black, I told them i changed the oil at 19,800 miles with the recommended oil and filter and then also again at 38k miles, and that was after I took it in the first time complaining about the oil light coming on and off. So a few hr later they called me back and said my radiator was bone dry, Impossible. if so that means they did not fill it back up when I took it in last and they replaced the so called defective thermostat. they are in fact that last people to touch that part of the car. So again they called me back and stated that the motor is in fact "TOAST" all 4 bearings are shot. I said How could this happen!!!! hey said that his boss, the lead warr manager informed him that it is my fault because I did not use the OEM filter or the OEM factory oil. CAN WE SAY BULL CRAP!!! Sounds to me like they are trying to avoid fixing this horrible defect!! if I was on the fwy when this happed I could have been killed when the engine locked up! So now the service manager said I'll have to wait until Monday when he can talk to someone higher up. The fact is I took it in for this problem documented, and now I have had the same problem but now I have a blown engine. How is this anyway my fault. I did not make the oil. I do not own make the filter. I looked and no where is says i have to use the stock oil or filter or else my warr will be void.

here is the letter I sent to BMW mini customer service.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 2004 mini cooper that I have taken to my local dealer for problems with oil light coming on and off and radiator getting hot. They informed me that the thermostat was bad replaced it and topped off the oil, said everything is fine and looks good. Now 1 month or so later it happened again, but this time the car stopped running and will not turn over. I took it to the dealer and they said that the motor is shot, they do not know why, but trying to say it's my fault. The car is in fact under warranty and I had already took the car in once ( documented) for the same problem and now according to the service manager Josh @ assel BMW mini the motor has failed. Josh has been more than helpful, very great guy. But according to him, his manager is calling it my fault. This is very disrespectful, I followed the book and used the same oil and filter the factory recommended. I Need to get in contact with some one about this and get this resolved with out getting our Company Lawyer involved. I own several high end luxury cars, BMW Infiniti, and I did nothing to neglect my car. I took it right into the dealer as soon as I noticed any issues. You can also reach me at my Office PilotAutomotive Inc. Industry California
Main line 626-937-6988 Mobile Phone 909-904-5071

Best regards
David A Gaudreau
[FONT='Times New Roman']2:17pm Friday April 20th[/FONT]

Last edited by MiniOwner2004; 04-20-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:13 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
another lousy dealer happy to fix a $100 part but who passes the buck to the consumer on anything over $1000 its a real shame

Old 04-20-2007, 03:20 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
dang that sucks! i hope you get it resolved

just fyi, my impression is that assael mini is not the greatest dealer in the la area. and also, since your car is still under warranty, you might not have wanted to tell them you changed the oil/filter on your own. i'm sure you used the right oil and filter, but since it's still under factory maintenance program, they might give you some sh**

good luck!

Old 04-20-2007, 03:22 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniOwner2004
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
I have a 2004 mini cooper non S, 6 speed auto. I got the car used at 29,400 miles. Shipped it from new York to California. When I got it the pass window did not roll up also radio display was half burnt out. Called the dealer took it in they fixed both, no problem

1 month later oil light would randomly come on and off, also car getting hot some times. Called the dealer took it in they said it has a bad thermostat, they replaced and re filled the radiator, they also checked the oil said it was only 1/2 qt low. They could not figure out why oil light was coming on and off. 1 week later I changed the oil and used factory recommended oil and filter.
Now 2 months later oil light came on then off again while driving home. I pulled over checked the oil, level was fine. drove the car home & 1 block away from my house light came on and off again, then check engine light came on, car was not hot, All the sudden the car made a tapping sound then violently shook itself to a screeching halt!!!. It shook the car so bad I almost lost control, even engaged the air bag warning light!!!! I called the dealer they informed me to have it towed the 80+ miles to them and they would check it out. Well the next morning they called me and said that they checked the oil and it was black, I told them i changed the oil at 19,800 miles with the recommended oil and filter and then also again at 38k miles, and that was after I took it in the first time complaining about the oil light coming on and off. So a few hr later they called me back and said my radiator was bone dry, Impossible. if so that means they did not fill it back up when I took it in last and they replaced the so called defective thermostat. they are in fact that last people to touch that part of the car. So again they called me back and stated that the motor is in fact "TOAST" all 4 bearings are shot. I said How could this happen!!!! hey said that his boss, the lead warr manager informed him that it is my fault because I did not use the OEM filter or the OEM factory oil. CAN WE SAY BULL CRAP!!! Sounds to me like they are trying to avoid fixing this horrible defect!! if I was on the fwy when this happed I could have been killed when the engine locked up! So now the service manager said I'll have to wait until Monday when he can talk to someone higher up. The fact is I took it in for this problem documented, and now I have had the same problem but now I have a blown engine. How is this anyway my fault. I did not make the oil. I do not own make the filter. I looked and no where is says i have to use the stock oil or filter or else my warr will be void.

here is the letter I sent to BMW mini customer service.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 2004 mini cooper that I have taken to my local dealer for problems with oil light coming on and off and radiator getting hot. They informed me that the thermostat was bad replaced it and topped off the oil, said everything is fine and looks good. Now 1 month or so later it happened again, but this time the car stopped running and will not turn over. I took it to the dealer and they said that the motor is shot, they do not know why, but trying to say it's my fault. The car is in fact under warranty and I had already took the car in once ( documented) for the same problem and now according to the service manager Josh @ assel BMW mini the motor has failed. Josh has been more than helpful, very great guy. But according to him, his manager is calling it my fault. This is very disrespectful, I followed the book and used the same oil and filter the factory recommended. I Need to get in contact with some one about this and get this resolved with out getting our Company Lawyer involved. I own several high end luxury cars, BMW Infiniti, and I did nothing to neglect my car. I took it right into the dealer as soon as I noticed any issues. You can also reach me at my Office PilotAutomotive Inc. Industry California
Main line 626-937-6988 Mobile Phone 909-904-5071

Best regards
David A Gaudreau
[FONT='Times New Roman']2:17pm Friday April 20th[/FONT]
I love how they try to say the engine blew because you used non factory oil but the factory recommends 15k mile oil change intervals . Maybe if they changed it more than once every year and a half the engine wouldn't blow...I change my oil every 3k miles with factory synthetic oil, and pay for it! My car will NEVER see the dealer unless something insane happens

Old 04-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ride this as far as you can...

the zone rep should see this different. Sad thing is, if they don't, you'll have no recourse but a complaint with the BBB. It would cost more to sue than to repair!

Matt

Old 04-20-2007, 03:27 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
and btw, not using *oem factory* oil will not cause the motor to blow up, unless you used something ridiculous like diesel oil

Old 04-20-2007, 03:49 PM
MiniOwner2004
1st Gear
Another thing i just thought of,....... If they are infact stating that "Due to the fact I used and aftermarket part (OIL FILTER) this caused complete engine failure, well then I guess the company Fram would really enjoy hearing that the dealer is stating that "there oil filter will cause the mini cooper motor to blow up!!" I'm sure they would be all over that kind of a bold statment in aheart beat. HAhahaha

Old 04-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
What a load of crap. If you have to use the factory supplied oil & filter, it has to be supplied for free. As long as your oil & filter meet factory spec's you are fine. They do meet them!

Old 04-20-2007, 04:28 PM
MiniOwner2004
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
What a load of crap. If you have to use the factory supplied oil & filter, it has to be supplied for free. As long as your oil & filter meet factory spec's you are fine. They do meet them!
Man.....Thats what I'm saying!! I'm blown away that they are trying to avoid this.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
the zone rep should see this different. Sad thing is, if they don't, you'll have no recourse but a complaint with the BBB. It would cost more to sue than to repair! Matt
When I was working to resolve a squeel problem with my flywheel that Morristown Mini in NJ didn't want to cover I spoke to the zone rep. That person said "we let the dealers make the call. That is what we pay them for and it is totally in their hands". It incensed me so much I took a ride to Mini headquarters up the Parkway and stopped in. A tech there simply told me to take it to Prestige Mini. They are well aware of the problem and it will be covered.

So, you may not get satisfaction from the zone rep. But if you go to the owner of the dealership and show your receipts then they might change their mind. That said I think there may be some neglect from the prior owner here. Was it a Mini Certified used Mini? Also my guess is that even if you didn't run an oil filter at all for the miles since your last oil change, that wouldn't have made any difference at all.

It always bothers me that the dealers want to charge their customers when if they were actually helpful they would be paid anyway as a warranty repair. You'd think that customer service would be paramount except in cases were there was clear abuse.

We're pullin for you.

Rich

Old 04-20-2007, 05:26 PM
BartMack
6th Gear
First, I agree that this is crap coming from the dealer...

But I must point out that ALL maintenance including oil changes is provided *FREE* for 4 years/48k... so why would you change the oil yourself and use any non oem parts? If you had made the dealer either change or certify that the oil was ok, the entire responsibility would lie with them no question!

I still don't think it justifies them washing their hands of the matter, but the fact should be pointed out

Old 04-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
At the most you're going to get 4 oil changes in that amount of time. Seems to me changing ones oil more often is a prudent thing to do. IMO MINI BMW could care less what happens to your car after the warranty is up. By then the damage may be done.

Seems as though this fellow took his car in for an oil light issue. They replaced a thermostat & filled the radiator. Checking the oil was all they did to remedy the oil light issue. Seems as though the dealer really dropped the ball & doesn't want to own up to their screw up.

Good luck with this.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
A flickering oil light

isn't going to come from a thermostat. It will come from REAL LOW oil, or a faulty oil overpressure bypass.

Matt

Old 04-20-2007, 07:49 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
What exactly was the failure? The radiator was dry, so was it from overheating (and no warning light)? Or from low oil pressure?

Old 04-20-2007, 09:44 PM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
It could have been the Fram filter that caused the problem. My brother had a Misubishi pick up and used a Fram filter. The engine had a major problem as a result and Fram worked with the Dealer to get it fixed. In the Mitsu case the filter that Fram made was missing a valve that the factory filter had. This missing valve caused the failure. This was around 1984, so not exactly current info, but something to consider.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:15 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BartMack
First, I agree that this is crap coming from the dealer...

But I must point out that ALL maintenance including oil changes is provided *FREE* for 4 years/48k... so why would you change the oil yourself and use any non oem parts? If you had made the dealer either change or certify that the oil was ok, the entire responsibility would lie with them no question!

I still don't think it justifies them washing their hands of the matter, but the fact should be pointed out
First off, you have free maintainance for the first 3 years or 36k miles, not 4 years 48k miles. You're thinking of the factory WARRANTY which is 4 years 50k miles.

Second off, I have my mechanic change my oil because I don't care WHAT MINI says, my engine is not going to last as long as it could by changing the oil once every 16k miles. Basically you get 2 maybe 3 factory oil changes. The dealer won't so much as touch your car unless the Maintainence Indicator says so.

Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:52 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gregdconsulting
It could have been the Fram filter that caused the problem. My brother had a Misubishi pick up and used a Fram filter. The engine had a major problem as a result and Fram worked with the Dealer to get it fixed. In the Mitsu case the filter that Fram made was missing a valve that the factory filter had. This missing valve caused the failure. This was around 1984, so not exactly current info, but something to consider.
The OP doesn't state that he used a Fram. Not even sure they make one for the MINI. I an curious to know what brand he did use.

A flickering oil light
isn't going to come from a thermostat. It will come from REAL LOW oil, or a faulty oil overpressure bypass.

It was my impression that the oil bypass was there to protect the engine in case of a plugged filter. Supposed to keep the oil flowing just in case by bypassing the filter.

My guess is low oil pressure over a long time at the bearings. Along with many other parts. Sounds like they dropped the pan & pulled the rod caps. The engine is indeed a large paper weight.

Shouldn't be your fault. You brought it in with an oil light complaint. They sent you on your way.

If your rad was dry you'd have cooked your engine, not ruined the bearings. Lack of oil pressure did that.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
First off, you have free maintainance for the first 3 years or 36k miles, not 4 years 48k miles. You're thinking of the factory WARRANTY which is 4 years 50k miles.

Second off, I have my mechanic change my oil because I don't care WHAT MINI says, my engine is not going to last as long as it could by changing the oil once every 16k miles. Basically you get 2 maybe 3 factory oil changes. The dealer won't so much as touch your car unless the Maintainence Indicator says so.
If you are happy to pay the extra that's fine but there is no evidence that more frequent oiil changes will prolong the life of the car's engine

Old 04-21-2007, 09:41 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rastven
If you are happy to pay the extra that's fine but there is no evidence that more frequent oiil changes will prolong the life of the car's engine
I'm more than happy to pay the extra $100 a year, it's cheap insurance. I didn't buy a 32k dollar car to skimp on maintainance and put crappy gas in it.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
It is...

Originally Posted by Crashton
It was my impression that the oil bypass was there to protect the engine in case of a plugged filter. Supposed to keep the oil flowing just in case by bypassing the filter.

My guess is low oil pressure over a long time at the bearings. Along with many other parts. Sounds like they dropped the pan & pulled the rod caps. The engine is indeed a large paper weight.

Shouldn't be your fault. You brought it in with an oil light complaint. They sent you on your way.

If your rad was dry you'd have cooked your engine, not ruined the bearings. Lack of oil pressure did that.
but if the spring fails, then it's just a short in the oil system. If the bearings were so shot that it wasn't holding pressure, then they should have seen that at the first service..... But you're right, real bad bearings would lead to bad oil pressure as well.

Matt

Old 04-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
but if the spring fails, then it's just a short in the oil system. If the bearings were so shot that it wasn't holding pressure, then they should have seen that at the first service..... But you're right, real bad bearings would lead to bad oil pressure as well.

Matt
If the spring in the bypass system fails, does oil pressure drop?

The dealer screwed up. In any case the dealer wants to put a screwing to this guy he does not deserve. This kind of stuff hacks me off bad.

Here's a tip for everyone. If you run your car out of any fluid. Make sure to top it up before it gets to the dealer. Could save much grief later.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:16 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Which dealer are you dealing with?

Old 04-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Rastven
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
I didn't buy a 32k dollar car to put crappy gas in it.
But you live in Cali, ergo

I understand your point but I'm more of the opinion that the average person, using modern oils, doesn't need the frequency of oil changes that were more common even 10 years ago

On the topic at hand I think the dealer obviously needs to step up. If they have been involved in the maintenance of the car they need to take some responsibility.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:02 PM
MiniOwner2004
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JustGo4It_
Which dealer are you dealing with?

Right now it is sitting at Assel BMW Mini. The Service manager Josh told me that he was going to speak to a rep that was higher up than the other manager that shut me out. I talked to the C.O.O. of the company I work for and hes told me they better warr my engine or else he will get his good freind involved. His freind is chairman of the SEMA board. They will not stand for any company the pushes around the end consumer. He said we will go as high up as we need to go to get them to put in a brand new engine,With an extra warr.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Sounds like the ball is rolling. Hopefully this will have a favorable outcome for you. Don't be afraid to use the big guns that are there to help you.

Keep us informed as this unfolds.

Good luck to you.

Quick Reply: !!!2004 ENGINE BLEW UP WARNING!!!