Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

07 MINI limps home after 8 days.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Wapcaplet
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 MINI limps home after 8 days.

8 days and 380 miles into ownership this past Sunday, my 07 Mini Cooper automatic wouldn't go. I'd been driving it within the owner's manual recommended break-in guide. There were no warning lights. I step on the gas and nothing, just the tach revving. Called roadside assistance. After holding for 15 min. they came on. I wasn't entered into the system, so I had to give them all my info. They told me it would be 2-3 hours before a tow truck to get to me. I was at a mall, 40 miles from home. Roadside said they could try to get a non-contract towing co, but I'd have to pay for it and submit a claim. And the cab I'd have to take, I'd also have to pay for and submit a claim.
Exasperated and with a child who was feeling hot (we noticed it while shopping and thus immediately decided to head home), I revved it again, higher this time, until at about 4000 rpm, it began to slowly move forward. I went around the lot and then my wife and kid got in. While driving home, the trans warning light came on. I used the paddles and saw it was stuck in 5th gear.
Had roadside assist. pick it up the next day, Monday and taken to NWMini (the only dealer in the state of WA, some 50 miles away). I still wasn't entered into their system either -- though you'd think they should've had my info from the previous day.
The dealer didn't look at it until today, Tues.
And by 5, it was ready. "Fault code for a transmission signal postition, causing disruption. The wiring harness that goes into the shifter was miswired", said the service advisor. They took apart the console and re-routed the wires to the shifter.
Now the problem is how to get it back. Their shuttle driver is off Tues. and Wed. I'm booked solid at work. I will say the tech advisor, who seemed affable enough did say he'd seek to make arrangements to pick my wife up tomorrow, Wed. We'll see tomorrow when they (or we) call to see if that comes about.
Although I'm glad that it appears there's nothing (fingers crossed) majorly wrong with my brand new car, I'm disappointed that it flaked out like this so soon and even more disappointed with the "roadside assistance" and the fact that the car took almost two full days to repair. (And I can't get it back that easily/quickly).
After this, I think I'll wait awhile before I use my new Mini as the family car on weekends, fun though it was for all of us until last Sunday afternoon.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:56 PM
jjtricket
2nd Gear
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Something is definitely up with the 07's.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:03 PM
spykdpunch
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jjtricket
What do you mean by that? This is the first recorded instance of this particular issue. The 02s, when they first arrived, were not without their fair share of issues.

Perhaps you meant there is something up (or was) with Wapcaplet's MINI and not all 07s in general?

Wapcaplet: Sorry to hear about the drama. It sounds like everything has been sorted out and you'll get your car back soon. I always say that situations like these create the best stories.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:13 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
It happens. I had a 1999 Z3 coupe manual that would POP out of second gear under hard acceleration. While it sucks to have a new car with problems, that is what warranties are for. BMW in my past experience has always been great at replacing/repairing things. Good luck to you! Keep us updated!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:19 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Sorry to hear that - Here's to the rest of your days of motoring remaing trouble free.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Wapcaplet
Neutral
Thanks for the well wishes, all. Will post an update tomorrow.

:

Old 03-20-2007, 10:22 PM
JCH
1st Gear
x

Last edited by JCH; 03-20-2007 at 10:22 PM. Reason: nevermind
Old 03-20-2007, 10:29 PM
EENY
3rd Gear
Well, the good news is this sounds like a relatively minor problem, though certainly it has inconvenienced you considerably. I feel for your anguish.

A digression, if you don't mind. Once I was on the highway very late at night coming home and my car ('69 BMW 2002) had a bang like a rock hitting the undercarriage, then was quiet. I pressed on the gas, nothing happened except the tachometer needle went up. I was next to an exit, luckily, so coasted off. Under the car I noticed the half shaft going to the rear left wheel was hanging, detached. I thought about it, then decided to borrow some bolts from the other side and thusly after about an hour was on the road again, 3 bolts on each outer flange side instead of 6. It was a bit scary and unnerving, the tired passengers were grumpy, but we were home safe that same night.

Moral of the story - things happen with cars. They're mechanical. Hopefully, you get 'em fixed with low cost and hassle and no lasting damage, and it sounds like that's going to happen for you. Good for your car that it's a relatively easy fix, but I know this is a bummer for you.

A 2-3 hour wait, when you're at a mall (not exactly lost in the wilderness) is terrible. I'd be most upset about that. I hope your tech advisor follows through for you, as that might help turn the emotional tide in your favor.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:22 AM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by spykdpunch
What do you mean by that? This is the first recorded instance of this particular issue. The 02s, when they first arrived, were not without their fair share of issues.

Perhaps you meant there is something up (or was) with Wapcaplet's MINI and not all 07s in general?

Wapcaplet: Sorry to hear about the drama. It sounds like everything has been sorted out and you'll get your car back soon. I always say that situations like these create the best stories.

Nope is not the first recorded case. There was another one in the UK, '07 R56 Cooper automatic, transmission sensor failed at 4K miles causing vehicle to stall at the exit ramp of a Motorway. I posted a link in the "Faults and fixes"forum.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:28 AM
C4
Banned
Here is the link to the discussion thread:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...olls-halt.html

This is the first post:

Mini Adventure - Rolls To A Halt

Sad News,

Mini Cooper Automatic is off the road

Just over 4,000 miles on the clock and pulling off on to a motorway exit roundabout this morning ........ BANG!!!!!

Nope, not run in to, but something that sounded very horrid failed in the transmission, no gears could be selected manual or otherwise.

Manged to roll to side of the road hazards a blinking.

Positive Points - Mini Assist very good and were recovered in just under an hour.

Bad Points - Enterprise replacement car, when it arrived, was a Nissan X-Trail It's a temporary car for a Mini for Gods sake, sent it away and told them to find something we can fit on the drive!

Now waiting for news from the dealer but they may need "to get BMW to inspect it". Didn't sound good, like something exploded in the gear box.

Will keep you all updated.

Missing the Mini Already

Old 03-21-2007, 06:34 AM
Golsco
2nd Gear
It was a broken drive shaft, not any sensor.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:45 AM
minimaximini
3rd Gear
And mine is a third incident

Posted in a previous thread:

240 miles. 2007 R56 MC Automatic. Check engine on.

Was told that the firmware had to be upgraded. Got a loaner.

They told me few days later that MINI told them that they have to bleed the cooling system - it might be a bubble. They told me there was a largebubble in the cooling system, and all that was triggering the Check Engine light was that. was told that - even if I drove few miles with it like that - shouldn't be a problem on the long term.

Pretty upsetting, though. Dealer dealt with it ok, though.

MMM

Old 03-21-2007, 07:02 AM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by Golsco
It was a broken drive shaft, not any sensor.

I stand corrected.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Buffdigits
1st Gear
hmm seems to be the automatics maybe that have this problem.

I have 800miles on my two week old 07 S and its been completely
trouble free so far, its the 6-speed and not the automatic.

but I can tell you there are examples of problem cars for every single car made every year they are made.

so its not necessarily a big deal to see a few flawed mini's as unfortunate as that might be.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wiring on my Aux gauges in my 04 Frayed to bare wire.

Last edited by chows4us; 06-07-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:46 PM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
hey hey hey don't be so hard on the little r56 he is still learning the ropes

Old 03-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hehe, I like that My2ndMINI.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:04 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
numerous posts removed.

Let's get this thread back on track: Wapcaplet's specific problem

Old 06-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Bullydog
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jjtricket
That's an understatement! I have read all kind of threads about the Christmas list of problems.....Thank god I didn’t impulse buy "again".