Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Documenting Wiper Motor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 AM
nhtshot
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a wiper issue with my 02 MC, but it's not quite the same.

The wipers turn on, but they won't stop when the switch is turned off. They run for about 10-15 seconds and then stop in a random spot.

I assume this is the park switch, but I have no idea where that is.

I found a thread on mini2 regarding this same issue, but the resolution "actually slices the brown and gree wire!! Out of all wire why only this one I don't frikin know! Any ways I had a thought today to pull the harness out and check and sure enough that was it. I have everything working and back in place. " doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Do any of you have any idea what harness this person is talking about?

Old 04-28-2015, 01:20 PM
LuigiTxMini
1st Gear
Wow!

Whoever said it is to "good to be true" did not have a Mini with the above mentioned wiper problem. Luigi, our 2002 MCS is wind shield wiping like crazy (from a frozen up) thanks to this brilliant fix! Thanks for saving me a lot of time, not mention money!!!!!

Old 09-02-2015, 02:18 AM
Hobine
1st Gear
I know this thread is old but I figure I'll post my problem with a 2004 R53. Yesterday when I started my car up, the rear wipers were running, I figured I must have bumped them or something but, nope, switch was in the off position. Could not get them to stop running. Tried turning the car back off and on to no avail.
To get them to stop, I pulled the fuse in the drivers side kick panel. Put the fuse back in, now they don't work at all. I also noticed the washers don't work front or rear?

Old 01-01-2016, 12:15 PM
tuttiquanti
Neutral
Wipers on MCS 02 fixed!

Just went through an episode of front wipers frozen stiff in ice and the motor not working after freeing the blades.

The grounding fix worked out on first try. Thanks!

It certainly points out to a flaw in the original design.

Of note, I removed the driver side cowl grille by prying it out with a flat screwdriver at front side of the gille (towards the front of the car), using a credit card to prevent damaging the paint.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:10 AM
Jason Lawless
Neutral
Hello, first post.

I am sorry for digging up an old thread however I am hoping that someone can tell me how I can see the pictures for this thread. Specifically, the images of the ground wire. I have searched all over the forum but can't seem to find any pictures. Maybe because they are older threads and/or I am new to the forum?

In any case, I am trying to fix my sister's 2002. They wiper blades just stopped working. She took it to a dealer here in Denver, CO for an oil change and they diagnosed the motor has failed. And, by the way, wanted $1100 to fix!!!! I have read all of the other threads on motor replacement and I feel like that is something I can do however I wanted to check the ground wire (and fuse) scenario first. But, I would really like to see picture(s) as they help me not knowing much about her car.

Thanks in advance to all that respond. If it would be easier to email me pictures please do so at jasonlawless23@yahoo.com

Old 02-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Lisa-in-dc
Neutral
can't see pictures?

Originally Posted by stevenee
All,

After a pretty serious freeze here in Cookeville, TN , I made the mistake of turning the wipers of my 02' Mini while they were still frozen to my windshield. Low and behold, they stopped working completely. I did some research, and I was scared that I burned out the motor. Nothing I did could get them working again, including thawing out the wiper motor.

However, I stumbled across this forum this afternoon and decided to give the "wiper motor ground" trick a try. I went to the local car audio shop and got approximately 4ft of 14 gauge power wire (for free, mind you - - thanks again to Innovative Audio of Cookeville). I followed the pictures posted in this thread and it WORKED LIKE A CHARM. I couldn't believe it.

I joined this forum just to make this post. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who posted in this thread to help me solve this problem. I was thoroughly convinced I'd have to spend $500 + to get this thing fixed. Instead, I fixed it for free. To anyone else with intermittent wiper problems, give this mod a try. It's worth the 10 minutes it took to complete.

All the best,

Steve

I can't open any of the pictures (what am I doing wrong?) but it *seems* straightforward. Going to give it a shot (off to get some wire). My front wipers didn't work after carrying weight of snowzilla for a few hours. Didn't stop working, just wouldn't turn on after being propped up during snow - penalty of trying to have wipers not freeze to wind shield.... Rear wiper works fine.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:32 PM
Khai
2nd Gear
mine failed at 80k, sourced a used module from cali for $80, not bad.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:02 PM
tompullin
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks and You're not doing anything wrong. I think they moved the pictures around.

Originally Posted by Lisa-in-dc
I can't open any of the pictures (what am I doing wrong?) but it *seems* straightforward. Going to give it a shot (off to get some wire). My front wipers didn't work after carrying weight of snowzilla for a few hours. Didn't stop working, just wouldn't turn on after being propped up during snow - penalty of trying to have wipers not freeze to wind shield.... Rear wiper works fine.
The pictures are here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/g/picture/3787434

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/g/picture/3787435

And in case they move them again, I just went to Djmuka's profile and looked in their gallery.

I'm glad I found this page just like everyone else. Our '03 had the same problem these last few weeks. Had to cut up a lamp cord, but it worked just fine. Now we can head to the Outer Banks for the 4th and not worry about stopping for rain.

The following users liked this post:
RIPPER (01-16-2022)
Old 09-17-2016, 10:52 AM
mrgreen
Neutral
Thanks for this - helped me find my issue too.

Per the tip earlier, I was was able to get the motor to work when connecting the bolt to a negative terminal on the battery . So seems my motor isn't broken. Yay!

However, I can't get the motor to work when grounding the bolts to... well, anywhere. I've tried any other frame bolts that I can.

Any tips on where I should look to debug what looks like a wiring issue?

**EDIT** turns out I needed to actually bolt the ground wire down to get good contact. works great now. thanks all!

Last edited by mrgreen; 09-17-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:02 AM
Johnbb
Neutral
Great tip! Many thanks,saved me a lot of time.wipers stopped working on my wife's 02 Mini One last night in a rain storm.She was not happy when she finally got home.found this site & yep it was the poor earth problem.10 minutes work and she's smiling this morning!

Old 03-21-2019, 01:15 PM
BlackBayJonesy
Neutral
You guys are AWESOME!

Wipers stopped working last night on my 2002 R50. They had been working about a month ago.

Checked the fuses and relays, everything looked good. Found this thread and checked the ground, bingo worked.

15 minutes of effort and wipers are now working. Saved myself $100's if I had to take into a shop.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:53 PM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
So same problem as nhtshot. I did a auto to manual swap in a 2005 cooper S with rain sensing wipers. As part of process
I pulled a new wire for Engine computer (pin 4 that ended up being blocked off and unusable). Evidently during this I also
cut the brown/green wire coming to the main engine loom from the wiper motor. My symptoms were no one swipe operation
when pulling down on stalk. Wipers would work one time and when you turned them off they would park in random position
Also they wouldnt work again until you cycled the ignition switch.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:06 PM
frankiev
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
03 mcs . My issue is a little different. Wipers work only on high and pulse . Low speed and intermitten speed I get nothing and when I turn them off there's no park . They jusr stop wherever they are ...
To make it more screwy sometimes they work 100% ok but that seems to be happening less and less

Old 10-14-2023, 11:31 AM
Kinger
Neutral
2013 mini front wipers not working

Hey All,

Hoping you can help.

I tested both relays..ok

I checked the fuse..ok

The motor is working..tested it and it spins

But i get nothing when i turn them on…

I tried running anew ground cable and that didn’t work either..

The sunroof drain was plugged and the right side of the car did get soaked.. is it possible the water shorted something down around the fuse panel on the passenger side?

Cheers

Andrew

Old 10-15-2023, 03:38 AM
Daftlad
4th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts
Sounds like switch, connector or BCM issues, particularly if / where water intrusion is an issue.
That said this is an old thread in the 1st Gen forum (R50/52/53); would post a new one in the Gen 2 forum:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ms-issues-188/
Good luck.