Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Skidplate Hardware Help

Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 PM
myzamboni
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skidplate Hardware Help

Bolt and washer sizes for Skid Plate installation? I have a line on a plate without hardware and need to source my own hardware.

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2007, 05:56 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a link to the install instructions for the Cobalt plate: Link
You can see that all the hardware for install is already there - don't need anything new except the plate.
I installed this a couple of weeks ago. It is very easy unless, like I, you have the M7 USS. Then you will need to cut out some notches in the skid plate to fit under the USS. The notches are for the bolts that are part of the USS.
Still not hard at all.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:32 AM
myzamboni
5th Gear
Thanks! When I read through it the first time, it sounded like the allen-head screws were included 'new' hardware.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure you buy stainless steel hardware. If you don't you will end up cursing the next time that plate has to come off...RUST

Old 02-28-2007, 09:57 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
Make sure you buy stainless steel hardware. If you don't you will end up cursing the next time that plate has to come off...RUST
Does anyone know what SIZE hardware is needed? It would be really convenient to buy the hardware before i jack up the car to install the plate!
thanks..

Old 03-01-2007, 05:49 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
You don't need any hardware. You use existing screws and bolts to attach it. Once underneath your MINI, if you hold the skid plate up you will see the attachment hardware is already there.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
You re-use the existing three bolts at the front & the two strange ones to the sides that hold the factory plastic piece on. The four bolts that do the majority of holding do come with the plate. They screw into the cross-member. Those are the ones that should be replaced with Stainless Steel. I just took the supplied bolts to the hardware store & matched them up. I also used blue Loctite 242 on those bolts. Sorry I don't remember the size of those bolts.

EDIT...The four bolts that came with mine were an allen head. The stainless steel bolts I used were regular hex head bolts & they worked fine for the job.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:12 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Perhaps I've forgotten getting any hardware with the skidplate. Sorry if that was misinformation. I really don't recall any special bolts or screws coming with the plate however.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:15 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by myzamboni
Bolt and washer sizes for Skid Plate installation? I have a line on a plate without hardware and need to source my own hardware.

Thanks!
Nobody answered the question! It obviously does NOT come with hardware ......Can somebody answer the question?

Old 03-01-2007, 08:20 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Call Moss and ask: 805-681-3411
Sorry, that's the best I can offer.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:35 AM
miminut
3rd Gear
Location: Half Moon Bay California, 25 miles south of SF on the coast
I have to change my oil today requiring me to remove my skid plate. If you can wait a while I'll get back to you later today about the bolt size and how to.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
Nobody answered the question! It obviously does NOT come with hardware ......Can somebody answer the question?
Mine obviously DID come with hardware....I've answered to the best of my knowledge. Limited as it is.

Maybe one wiser than me will answer.

I have to change my oil today requiring me to remove my skid plate. If you can wait a while I'll get back to you later today about the bolt size and how to.
See I told you someone would.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:41 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
no need for a how to....but bolt size and thread pitch is what is needed. I am eager for this info as well as the original poster because when I recieved and installed my skidplate moss left out the hardware, I eamialed them twice with no response so moss will not be getting any more of my buisness.... I made many trips to the hardware store trying to get the right hardware only to end up getting non-stainless hardware that required me to get a shop to remove the bolts when I changed my oil....right now my plate is sitting in my garage waitng for me to find the time to re-install it but I dont have 3 hours to spend making 6 more trips to the hardware store guessing ad thread pitch and bolt size

Old 03-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Just a thought here.....I've changed my oil 4 times with the plate on & did not have to remove it. There is a hole in the plate that lets me access the drain plug. My plate is an aluminum one made by Cobalt & sold by Moss. Hope this helps.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:45 AM
myzamboni
5th Gear
I needed to buy bolts for the rear mounting holes. They are M10X1.50x20 (10mm diameter, 1.5 thread pitch, 20mm long(found this out on another thread)). For now I picked up hex-heads from Lowes and installed with some anti-sieze. I had the car already on ramps when I realized I needed them (this is why you should be sure when you post MiniMayBee, and calling Moss got me nowhere prior to install). Now that it is mounted and I am not in 'need it now' mode, I will source some nice button-top allen head bolts that will not only look better, but reduce the minor chance of snagging hex-head on something.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:52 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Now that it is mounted and I am not in 'need it now' mode, I will source some nice button-top allen head bolts that will not only look better, but reduce the minor chance of snagging hex-head on something.
Let us know where you get those stainless button heads.....Because that was my mistake. I installed the common black button head cap screws and they rusted in tight! the ace hardware did not carry(or i couldnt find them) those sizes in stainless

Old 03-01-2007, 09:26 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Now that it is mounted and I am not in 'need it now' mode, I will source some nice button-top allen head bolts that will not only look better, but reduce the minor chance of snagging hex-head on something.
Personally, I recommend against this. When we first installed the skid plate, I used the hardware that came with it: those fancy-looking button-head hex-bolts. After a Winter of driving through slush and salt, they thoroughly siezed into the subframe. Yes, I DID use a liberal amount of anti-sieze when I installed them. Stainless steel is really too soft of a material for his application and 6mm is too small for an M10 bolt. A recipe for stripping.

Ours is apparently not an isolated incident. When we had a pully installed at Helix, Eric thanked me for changing the bolts as he's had trouble with that hardware as well. I keep pre-made extra bolts around to swap out whenever I work on friends' MINIs with the skid plate.

Still use a ton of anti-sieze on the threads. I put a split lock washer on as well.

I also replaced the front lip hardware with longer bolts and larger fender-style washers. Makes installation easier.

FWIW, I always remove the plate when doing oil changes. This has less to do with drain plug access and more with checking for leaks and CV-joint condition.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:35 AM
aminicooper
4th Gear

Thanks!
Should have pm'd me for the answer

btw, I had used hex bolts

Old 03-17-2007, 05:23 AM
72guy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by IanF
Personally, I recommend against this. When we first installed the skid plate, I used the hardware that came with it: those fancy-looking button-head hex-bolts. After a Winter of driving through slush and salt, they thoroughly siezed into the subframe. Yes, I DID use a liberal amount of anti-sieze when I installed them. Stainless steel is really too soft of a material for his application and 6mm is too small for an M10 bolt. A recipe for stripping.

Ours is apparently not an isolated incident. When we had a pully installed at Helix, Eric thanked me for changing the bolts as he's had trouble with that hardware as well. I keep pre-made extra bolts around to swap out whenever I work on friends' MINIs with the skid plate.

Still use a ton of anti-sieze on the threads. I put a split lock washer on as well.

I also replaced the front lip hardware with longer bolts and larger fender-style washers. Makes installation easier.

FWIW, I always remove the plate when doing oil changes. This has less to do with drain plug access and more with checking for leaks and CV-joint condition.
Ian,
So what bolts do you use and recommend??
Thanks