Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Blown Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:26 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmovierat
No I wasn't aware that autocross would void anything. I am aware of the caveat about mods. I have not modded this car. Do you know something I don't? Please enlighten me if you do.
I feel for you, however on page 2 of your "MINI Cooper & MINI Cooper S, Service & Warranty Information 2005" book it states Exclusions for Coverage under the Full Maintenance -Vehicles used in competitive events.

Also on page 29 of the same book:

Under This Warranty does not apply to the following:

This warranty shall be null and void if the vehicle identification number has been altered or can not be read, if the odometer has been replaced or altered and the true mileage cannot be determined, if the vehicle has been declared a total lossor sold for slvage purposes, or if the vehicle has been used in any competitive event.

Autocross is a competitive event, and even if MINI of Pittsburgh were to sponsor in whole or in part with PittStop MINI, the autocross, or track day at Beaver Run, you as a participant take sole responsibility for any mechanical failures that occur during the event.

Same thing holds true if you were to wreck your car during an autocross, your insurance company would most likely not cover the accident, as it is a timed competitive event.

An accident at Beaver Run is a little different as it could be viewed as "Driver Training", because of the instructors, which most insurance companies will cover.

Steve

Old 09-25-2006, 04:30 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I call it a timed event myself.
I don't think the autoX had anything to do with it.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:35 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mielnicki
I feel for you, however on page 2 of your "MINI Cooper & MINI Cooper S, Service & Warranty Information 2005" book it states Exclusions for Coverage under the Full Maintenance -Vehicles used in competitive events.

This warranty shall be null and void if the vehicle identification number has been altered or can not be read, if the odometer has been replaced or altered and the true mileage cannot be determined, if the vehicle has been declared a total lossor sold for slvage purposes, or if the vehicle has been used in any competitive event.

Autocross is a competitive event, and even if MINI of Pittsburgh were to sponsor in whole or in part with PittStop MINI, the autocross, or track day at Beaver Run, you as a participant take sole responsibility for any mechanical failures that occur during the event.

Same thing holds true if you were to wreck your car during an autocross, your insurance company would most likely not cover the accident, as it is a timed competitive event.

An accident at Beaver Run is a little different as it could be viewed as "Driver Training", because of the instructors, which most insurance companies will cover.

Steve
I thought I just said that

Old 09-25-2006, 04:37 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
I thought I just said that
Absolutely, you did! I was just giving the exact location of the information.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:41 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Regardless, I what I posted, I have found the MINI of Pittsburgh service department excellent to deal with. If there is any way for them to work within their guidlines to help you, I am sure they will.

But, MINI USA calls all the shots regarding warranty work, and if they won't cover it, the dealer will not eat the cost of the repair.

Steve

Old 09-25-2006, 04:45 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear

Steve
That's good info steve. Thank you. However, perhaps you or someone else in the mini club should make this caveat clear whenever you organize autox events. Perhaps make all members/participants aware that MINI will void the warranty if you autox the car.

Personally, I don't feel that autox caused this issue. So perhaps this thread is useful to mini owners who suffer a similar breakdown in the future.

Plus, the dealer hasn't mentioned autox as the reason the tranny failed. They are still going by the over-reving thing. And I can't understand how that holds water. If they claimed it was autox related, at least that would make some sense.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:46 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely, you did! I was just giving the exact location of the information.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:01 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
That's good info steve. Thank you. However, perhaps you or someone else in the mini club should make this caveat clear whenever you organize autox events.
I always thought it was clear. , maybe not so much.
Perhaps make all members/participants aware that MINI will void the warranty if you autox the car.
I wouldn't say they will, I would say they can.
Steve

Old 09-25-2006, 05:13 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
I have yet to find any actual example of mini refusing to cover a repair that they claimed was autox related. Not that that's the case in this situation. I searched. I couldn't find anything. For one, it would seem rather disingenuous for mini to sponsor events and promote the car's abilities on one hand, while refusing to cover repairs on the other hand.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:15 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
I have yet to find any actual example of mini refusing to cover a repair that they claimed was autox related. Not that that's the case in this situation. I searched. I couldn't find anything. For one, it would seem rather disingenuous for mini to sponsor events and promote the car's abilities on one hand, while refusing to cover repairs on the other hand.
AFAIK, the dealership has never actually sponsored the events, it's always PittStop MINI.

Steve

Old 09-25-2006, 05:33 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
AFAIK, the dealership has never actually sponsored the events, it's always PittStop MINI.

Steve
Actually, Steve, I didn't mention MINI of Pittsburgh. I was referring to MINI corporate. They do sponsor several MINI drivers (just look up the SCCA nationals results later this week; I'm sure you will find more than a few drivers sponsored by mini usa). Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:41 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Actually, Steve, I didn't mention MINI of Pittsburgh. I was referring to MINI corporate. They do sponsor several MINI drivers (just look up the SCCA nationals results later this week; I'm sure you will find more than a few drivers sponsored by mini usa). Sorry for the misunderstanding.
All manufacturers sponsor some sort of racing, however there is no manufacturer that will warrant their cars for competitive use. Even Ferrari!

Steve

Old 09-25-2006, 06:07 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve
That's an interesting choice of words - "If the vehicle has been used in any competitive event". That makes it sound like your entire warranty ends the first time you race.

One of the pop rivets attaching the dealer-installed driving lamps on my wife's car came loose last week. Since I drove it in an autocross event last month, I guess the dealer could have denied the service, based on a strict interpretation on the warranty agreement.

Makes you wonder if such a blanket exclusion would really hold up, if push came to shove.

Scott

Old 09-25-2006, 06:16 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
It broke at the race, excuse me, the "timed competitive event", what about that gives any wiggle room for the dealer? I am a bad news protagonist because I say what ANYONE who has raced for any time knows. It breaks or wrecks, YOU fix it, no one else, no warranty, no insurance co. anywhere will cover it for you. I didn't have to read the warranty to know that but maybe some here should read these things. It's also in your finance and insurance contracts. I am not exporting anything to Mexico, if I drive as a tourist a financed car into Mexico it voids my insurance, rental or finance contracts and I am on the hook for the full value of the vehicle or the note. Racing/competitive events are the same, loophole for driver's schools, but some contracts may contain the language closed-course track, then you're done there as well.

My original question still holds, why would or should any car maker subsidize someone's racing hobby?

Try the Go-karts, did you know a go-kart used to hold the overall course record for the Daytona Road Racing Course?

Old 09-25-2006, 06:41 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think one of the issues is that sometimes our cars *do* legitimately have defective parts, and just because the car has been used competitively at some time in the past, that doesn't absolve the manufacturer of the responsibility to fix the part.

I've autocrossed my wife's car twice now, but if the climate control (for instance) stopped working tomorrow on my way to work, you bet your *** I'd pursue a warranty claim to get it fixed.

Maybe the OP's transmission was 100% perfect from the factory, and all of the damage came from autocrossing. But what if it was legitimately faulty, even before she began racing?

Scott

Old 09-25-2006, 06:47 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
They may not cover cars used in competitive events, because that puts more wear and tear than the parts were designed and warranted for. Period!

But if they find out it was used for "Racing" they can void the warranty, because you have breached your end of the contract.

Steve

Old 09-25-2006, 07:14 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4GAZM
howdy their sorry to hear of this problem

basically you can over rev an engine by accedent by simply downshifting while going to fast for the lower gear you pute it in like if yer going 70 and pute in in 1st gear basically the egine will rev super fast and blow, dosent matter about the drive by wire, that only helps when accelerating so if you were going to fast and egine braked into a turn and thru it in first gear you may have a problem in that respect but that was just to answer your queschin about how to over rev a drive by wire car

anywho

while i worked at the mini dealer for a while i found out a cool little thing on our mini computers

they record EVERYTHING they can tell the dealer rpm's how hard the gas was applied and how you were driving, so basically they can tell if the car looked as if it was being auto x [Emphasis added.]

its really scary

the car told the dealer my car stalled because of low fuel and showed how much fuel was in the tank witch caused a miss fire then stall in the morning and other things

that adaptive logic on your computer logs driving habits and also shows the dealer how your driving witch has been the reason why they denied claimes at my dealer a while ago !

be carfull their watching !!!

but i say stick with it or try another dealer if possible
my dealer lies sometimes or just dosent know what their talking about (they lied to me about waranty work) i go to another dealer and they fix it so its really up to you if you want to stick with them or try another, id try another since they dont sound very helpfull anyway
I you are certain you didn't over-rev the engine, force the issue by telling the dealer to download the engine history and show where the engine was over-reved. If they can't do that, you have almost an open-and-shut case in small claims court.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:17 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
I would seek a second opinion, or dealership. Are there any other dealerships in Pittsburgh?

Also, as the Magnusson warranty act (forgot its' real name), clearly states, the burden of proof is on the DEALER. It is within your right for them to prove to you that you over-revved your engine, causing the failure of the transmission.

If your computer really does record everything, as one poster suggested, then there should be a record of this.

You seem to have a very strong case, in my opinion!
Magnusson-Moss does not cover denial of warranty coverage for abuse (over-reving), which is what is being alleged by the dealer.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:23 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Getting back on topic, how is it possible to over-rev a differential and not have any damage to the engine?

Food for thought and this is the last I mention this since the dealer never even mentioned this as an issue and they KNOW we autocross the car:

http://www.miniusa.com/crm/load_mini...oron/freestyle

Click on the link that says "Win race money from MINI"...

We have been unable to find any reference to any claim being denied by MINI due to autocross. That either means autocross isn't as hard on your car as some people seem to think or the issues were covered under warranty.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:24 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
I have yet to find any actual example of mini refusing to cover a repair that they claimed was autox related. [Emphasis added.] Not that that's the case in this situation. I searched. I couldn't find anything. For one, it would seem rather disingenuous for mini to sponsor events and promote the car's abilities on one hand, while refusing to cover repairs on the other hand.
Skiploder started his journey that ultimately ended with selling his MCS based on the dealer denying warranty coverage due to his car having been tracked.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:00 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by caminifan
Skiploder started his journey that ultimately ended with selling his MCS based on the dealer denying warranty coverage due to his car having been tracked.
Thanks for the reference. Unfortunately, now that I have read through some of the skiploder stuff, I see that you know the following full well:

Originally Posted by skiploder
"they are denying warranty service on my car because they have not performed all of the work under the hood."
We have no mods. We have never had any work done under the hood, aside from oil changes, which I do myself. Anything done under the hood has been done by MINI. So I do not understand why you bring up skiploder's situation when the circumstances are very different. As I said, we have found no denial of warranty coverage for our circumstances.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:20 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
We have no mods. We have never had any work done under the hood, aside from oil changes, which I do myself. Anything done under the hood has been done by MINI. So I do not understand why you bring up skiploder's situation when the circumstances are very different. As I said, we have found no denial of warranty coverage for our circumstances.
In this thread https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=49580 , Skiploder talks about MINI's decision for warranty denial being due to the car being tracked: "Oh, by the way - do not let them find out you track the car - that is also an issue......." (See post number 55 in the thread.) Also: " And I am serious about the track issue - it came up and was cited as a cause for voiding my warranty. I know the dealer did not rat me out because he did not know. A P-car buddy of mine claimed at an event last year he caught a Mini rep writing down my VIN number..............I'll let that one sink in." (See post number 57 in the thread.) And, one more citation: "Keep in mind that the MINI USA rep informed me directly that a goodly portion of their decision to sh**can my warranty came from the fact that I track the car." (See post number 60 in the thread.)

Hopefully you get my point about MINI's aversion to their cars being used on the track.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:04 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
R53 Cooper S MANUAL TRANSMISSION GS6-85BG/DG</B>
RealOEM.com Home => Select another car => MANUAL TRANSMISSION => MANUAL TRANSMISSION

No. Description Supplement Qty From Up To Part Number Price Notes 01RMFD-6 SPEED GEARBOXGS6-85BG - TBKE107/200423007533350Notes:

Is this the transmission?

Old 09-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Thanks for the reference. Unfortunately, now that I have read through some of the skiploder stuff, I see that you know the following full well:

When I called MiniUSA and gave them my VIN, they immediately mentioned the fact that I track the car - subsequent research showed that my VIN had indeed been tagged for "racing".

The correspondence my counsel received from BMW's hired gorillas stated that my car had been noted as a participant in several track events and referenced the fact that BMWNA had clearly stated in their warranty that competitive and/or time events were cause for nullifying my warranty.

Our response was simple - the car had not been autoxed or in an actual competitive event - but had been tracked as part of HPDE and open track days. They then reverted to their final stance of "we're pretty sure we can outspend/outlast you.".

BMovierat - whether you realize it or not, this is not a M-M Act issue. They can rest their position firmly on the fact that you autrocrossed the car - which per their warranty statement is grounds for nullifying your coverage.

There is no need for burden of proof on their part.

Trust me, I feel your pain. It's frustrating. What's worse is that people constantly give bad advice regarding aftermarket parts, racing and warranty coverage.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:58 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I guess I am naive, but I do not see how driving around cones in a parking lot can be considered "racing." I feel for you, b...and hope you can find a way through this situation that will be acceptable to you.

Quick Reply: Blown Transmission