Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Great Power Steering Pump Failure/Problems Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 PM
polit
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terry Gallentine
One thing that they needed was the specific part number on the fan and pump that was used for replacement. They seemed to want to see BMW parts as the replacement parts.
the dealer i went to asked for none of that. they just scanned the key

from the way the guy handled it i believe there were many others b4 me

Old 06-18-2013, 12:04 AM
volki
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by polit
YAY!

after years of waiting for BMW to do the right thing i am getting my money back...including labor. i went through the dealer

YAY!
Was your replacement(s) performed at the dealer or an independent shop?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 AM
MCLeonard
5th Gear
Power steering pump replaced finally.

I'm pleased to report that East Bay Mini in Pleasanton fixed my power steering and all seems to be well now. It's a long story but I'll try to make it short.

I took my 03 MCS in three weeks ago after getting the letter about the extended warranty. It has about 130,000 miles on it. At first the service writer told me that the technician didn't hear anything. I had described the noise and symptoms in detail and it was happening several times a day, so I expected them to figure it out.

I talked with the service manager and he offered to drive it home. He heard the sound but still needed confirmation from the technician about what it was. After a couple more days they finally agreed to fix the power steering but the parts were on back order. A week later they called me and I took it back in and they replaced the pump and fan. I drove it yesterday and it seems good. The steering is more firm and precise and consistent and the sound of the grinding fan hasn't happened.

Apparently BMW is a real stickler about this repair and they require the dealers to send back the parts for verification before they will pay them. The parts are on back order at the factory so having to wait is usual.

This all started two years ago and when the car was making a grinding noise in the front. It would happen more on warm days and would happen when I stopped like at a light or when parking. It was not related to road speed or engine speed and twice it happened when the engine was off but the ignition was on. Also the steering pressure would vary some and it wasn't as precise as before. After doing some reading on here I decided that it had to be the steering pump cooling fan making the noise and that the pump was going out.

I took it in to the shop but they weren't sure if it was the steering or the supercharger or the harmonic balancer and didn't want to fix something if they were not sure. I put up with the noise and aggravation not really knowing what to do. I was considering just paying them to fix the steering as a precaution but it wasn't cheap. Finally the letter came so I went to the dealer and got to the end of it.

Last edited by MCLeonard; 06-23-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:15 PM
GTA_R53
Neutral
Post mine on the sticky:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-post342.html

BUT I really want to point out after over 3 full months, my car's still under repair, with snow tires on! This pretty big "mini Experience" is getting too long.

"You wish? Get long n big? start with the mini experience."

Old 03-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Bradfinger
1st Gear
Pump failure

Hello all,

Just moved to Macon, GA from Tupelo, MS and had a strange break-down this weekend. Not sure if it's the EPS or what, but was traveling down highway when the battery warning light came on, then in rapid succession, the EML light, check engine light, airbag warning, and ABS light. I moved to the shoulder of the road and shut engine down for a few seconds then re-started. Some of the lights reset, then in random order came on one by one. Then when I pulled back on highway I noticed the steering was very stiff. I'm thinking it's the power steering unit failing and somehow has caused a power surge or something causing the lights to come on. Managed to limp back home and parked until Monday. I contacted Roberts Automotive in Boilingbrooke, GA and had the car towed in this morning. The battery was dead when I tried to start it this morning. Thoughts or similar experiences?

Old 03-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Certain
2nd Gear
IDENTICAL problem last year. Alternator died. Towed home, about a 4 hour job, didn't remove radiators, just pull them forward. Good to go.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
I had all but the stiff steering issue last year, replaced the battery and the mystery symptoms went away. It really seemed like a computer failure to me at the time.

Oh, and welcome to Georgia!

Last edited by Stanislaus; 03-10-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: redundant info after reviewing thread
Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Bradfinger
1st Gear
Mr. Roberts just called me from Bolingbroke and confirmed it IS the alternator. Thanks for the welcome Stanislaus! I've been enjoying living here so far, much nicer than Mississippi. Kinda strange as my battery died about a year ago, and I don't recall having any steering issues at all. Oh, well. If anything these little cars sure have some strange quirks in their personalities, no?

P.S.> Odometer reads 187,580 miles, so I expect I'll be seeing Mr. Roberts a lot over the coming years.

Last edited by Bradfinger; 03-10-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Added odometer reading comment
Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
I will soon be taking mine in for replacement of the power steering pump per the extended warranty campaign. Question: will the dealer insist on replacing the power steering hose that has a very slight leak, at my expense? I wouldn't mind paying for the part, but expect they would rob me on the labor even though the incremental work under the circumstances would be slight.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 AM
edgy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd love for the opportunity to replace a leaking hose while the dealer is changing out the warranty-covered power steering pump. Might be a good question to ask the service manager before you give them the key if it worries you. I was pleased to finally receive a check from BMW/MINI last month for my repair done last April 2013. Mine is an '02 - yours is an '04 - you are getting a $1000 repair covered and won't have to wait a year for the check like I did. I wish I could have arranged it like that.