Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

P1229 - throttle potentiometer adaption fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 04:26 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1229 - throttle potentiometer adaption fault

But why? My car was running awesome! Although this morning the car did the usual cold start issue. But it has only done it twice in the last 10 months. Although only twice on the new motor.

This morning I went to crank the car and it just cranked and cranked. I then shut it off and then cranked and it turned right over.

So I drive to catch the train and noticed a SES light. Oh crap..

Well ever since my troubles with the last engine I have carried around a Actron 9215 Code reader. I popped off my OBD2 cover and checked the code, P1229. I then cleared the code so I could get rid of the light. Which for a VW means Injector Circuit Cylinder 5 Short To Ground according to obd-codes.com. I did a quick search on NAM and found MSFIT had the same code recently, throttle potentiometer adaption fault.

Now that I know some what the cause I feel like an idiot for clearing the code. Now I have to wait for the problem to rear its ugly head 2 times more to be able to take it to the dealer. Also my exhaust sounds throttier…not totally a bad thing. But I wonder if my code came out wrong and my car is trying to tell me my CAT is totaly dead and my exhaust note is part of it.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:32 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
But why? My car was running awesome! Although this morning the car did the usual cold start issue. But it has only done it twice in the last 10 months. Although only twice on the new motor.

This morning I went to crank the car and it just cranked and cranked. I then shut it off and then cranked and it turned right over.

Well ever since my troubles with the last engine I have carried around a Actron 9215 Code reader. I popped off my OBD2 cover and checked the code, P1229. I then cleared the code so I could get rid of the light. Which for a VW means Injector Circuit Cylinder 5 Short To Ground according to obd-codes.com. I did a quick search on NAM and found MSFIT had the same code recently, throttle potentiometer adaption fault.

Now that I know some what the cause I feel like an idiot for clearing the code. Now I have to wait for the problem to rear its ugly head 2 times more to be able to take it to the dealer. Also my exhaust sounds throttier…not totally a bad thing. But I wonder if my code came out wrong and my car is trying to tell me my CAT is totaly dead and my exhaust note is part of it.
If I remember correctly I think your TB is going bad......check it out.....I had that issue and it was either the cat or TB and I can't remember which

Old 05-02-2006, 04:33 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Goody...another part of the engine is going for replacement...

I am trying to be sarcastic..

Old 05-02-2006, 04:41 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Goody...another part of the engine is going for replacement...

I am trying to be sarcastic..
you might try disconecting the Unichip for a few days.... I wish I kept a log or had a better memory as I know I have been there..... Call Josh at Unichip and ask him.... there was an issue in which some unichips create an easily fixed problem but the dealers will try to sell you something unessesary.....need more caffiene.... you can call me to discuss....404 277 7636..... now the world has my number..... do you think Charlize will call?

Bob

Old 05-02-2006, 05:00 AM
CustomAV
5th Gear
I had the same problem over a year ago and mine was a bad cable to the throttle body. It actually had a loose pin which was giving it an erratic reading for the TB which then put me into limp mode.

You may want to pull the cable from the TB and try and clean it or see if any of the pins may be missaligned. it is possible you could fix the problem yourself but more likely something will need to be replaced.

Be careful as it is possible it will throw the code and throw you into limp mode.

chris

Old 05-02-2006, 05:38 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CustomAV
I had the same problem over a year ago and mine was a bad cable to the throttle body. It actually had a loose pin which was giving it an erratic reading for the TB which then put me into limp mode.

You may want to pull the cable from the TB and try and clean it or see if any of the pins may be missaligned. it is possible you could fix the problem yourself but more likely something will need to be replaced.

Be careful as it is possible it will throw the code and throw you into limp mode.

chris
I hope that this is all it is....wouldn't that be nice.....

Old 05-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Skiploder
Banned

This is also an indicator of the infamous wiring harness TSB. This TSB calls for the complete replacement of the wiring harness and throttle body unit in 2 of the 3 scenarios described.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check the TB wiring. This is a somewhat common issue. Sometimes simply unplugging the connectors, inspecting the pins on both then reconnecting is all that's needed (albeit temporarily). There are TSBs covering this problem.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:50 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
The dealer guy is funny. "If it stays out then its fine"

Old 05-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're still under warranty

The dealer guy is funny. "If it stays out then its fine"
make sure they log the issue with your milage. Then when it comes back later, you'll have a paper trail.....

Matt

Old 05-02-2006, 10:01 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
make sure they log the issue with your milage. Then when it comes back later, you'll have a paper trail.....

Matt
Well I wonder if its worth to troubleshoot this myself with forum help.

Suggestions have been:

1. Disconnect, clean connector and reconnect TB cable.
2. Remove Unichip, reset ecu and drive for a few days to see if the problem occurs again.
3. TB is (going) bad.
4. CAT is bad. This one I was told by my tech on Friday. I don't know. We'll see hot it runs when I get off work.
Thank fully a Unichip comes off without the use of tools

Old 05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Cat bad? that makes no sense at all!

There are two potentiometers in the TB that are used to make sure that the ECU knows where the TB is set. There are wires used to drive the stepper motor, power and ground as well. The trouble code is telling you that there's an issue with moving, or reading the TB position. Cat is bad? Things like this are what really make me repect the dealers.....

I'd go ahead and troubleshoot it on your own. If it's just a connection thing, it may be easy to fix. But you may run into needing to change pins or the like in the connector, and this gets messy fast. If there's a way to make it go away easily, it will be by making sure that the pins are straight and clean.

This is a try at your own risk.. But in the past (not on a Mini TB though), I've slightly BENT pins to make sure they have contact with the sockets. Not for the feighnt of heart....

Oh, and FWIW, I once had a code on a TB position sensor. One of the two pots wasn't giving a voltage, and it was a different code. So I'd guess is one of the pins for the stepper motor, or the ground. But I don't know which pin is what in the harness....

Good luck,

Matt

Old 05-02-2006, 11:21 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Dr Obnxs I am only going to try #2 on my list. I am not going to start trying to disconnect my TB just for the vary reasons you listed.

But we will see what the car does. I will be back to it shortly from work and the troubleshooting will begin.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:42 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off the whole wiring harness replacement.. Service Bulletin...is for 02's and early built 03's....

And it's not the throttle body itself it is the harness near the tb that gets a cross connection or a short, they wouldnt even describe it to me...dealers :/

so you car should still be well into warranty, I would just take like everything off..the goodies you can at least....then get it to the dealer and tell them to give you a rental car.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by MSFIT
First off the whole wiring harness replacement.. Service Bulletin...is for 02's and early built 03's....

And it's not the throttle body itself it is the harness near the tb that gets a cross connection or a short, they wouldnt even describe it to me...dealers :/

so you car should still be well into warranty, I would just take like everything off..the goodies you can at least....then get it to the dealer and tell them to give you a rental car.
Yeah, the TSB references early builds, but the two Techs I talked to said that they are seeing the same exact issues in the 04s and 05s and that the replacement TBs and harnesses have the same issues...............

It has something to due with the plug end of the harness that feeds the TB - they have a test they can do in about 15 minutes to check the integrity of the part but they will try like hell to avoid doing it.

The two dealers closest to me always keep the harnesses in stock...........makes you think.........strange part to have to keep on hand - huh?

Old 05-03-2006, 04:07 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Thank you all for your suggestions. Well I got to my car @ 3:30pm and it wouldn't start @ first. It was just turn and turn. I then put the key to position 2 and turned it. It started! But would then bog down, SES, EML and ABS lights on. Rough as hell...in limp home mode but worse. Wouldn't go above 1000 rpm or 10mph. I pop the bonnet and pull the Unichip, reset the ecu. Same thing...pull the battery for the heck of it. SAme thing...

MINI Roadside/AAA are pathedic....9:30pm rolls around and this finally
happens.

Don't mind my spare...I am having a wheel refinished due to a tire shop screw up.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:37 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Thank you all for your suggestions. Well I got to my car @ 3:30pm and it wouldn't start @ first. It was just turn and turn. I then put the key to position 2 and turned it. It started! But would then bog down, SES, EML and ABS lights on. Rough as hell...in limp home mode but worse. Wouldn't go above 1000 rpm or 10mph. I pop the bonnet and pull the Unichip, reset the ecu. Same thing...pull the battery for the heck of it. SAme thing...

MINI Roadside/AAA are pathedic....9:30pm rolls around and this finally
happens.

Don't mind my spare...I am having a wheel refinished due to a tire shop screw up.
It has to be down hill from here.....sorry for all the trouble, what a mess

Old 05-03-2006, 05:02 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
My wife's '05 MCSa (late May-early June build) was recalled for the wiring harness issue. We weren't having any issues but they did replace the wiring harness. Good luck with your problem.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:07 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by rhawth99
My wife's '05 MCSa (late May-early June build) was recalled for the wiring harness issue. We weren't having any issues but they did replace the wiring harness. Good luck with your problem.
My car has already had the engine wiring harness replaced for the tranny problem recall.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
That really sucks!

FWIW, if it's just a connectivity problem with the pins, I'd guess that thefemale pin isn't grabbing the male pin properly (I hate it when that happens).
A risky fix, but one that has always worked for me with problem connectors, is to put a couple of slight bends in the male pin (just a few degrees each). You have to be carefull, because if the pins don't line up anymore, you'll squish one and really be screwed. But if Mini is having all these problems, even with replacement harnesses, it might be worth a try, and a look of "what are you talking about ?" if asked if you've tried anything to fix it yourself.

If it is just the connector, and you are out of warranty, you can solder wires on the pins, hack the wiring harness, and use a different, weatherproof connector!

Matt

Old 05-03-2006, 11:22 AM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
Well, it sounds like a bad TB, but it seems as if it is on the road to recovery. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2006, 04:56 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
I'd guess that the female isn't grabbing the male pin properly (I hate it when that happens).

edited for extra humor

Old 05-03-2006, 07:04 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Dealer called and told me the TB is bad. But that if its not the TB when they get that its a wiring harness...oh goody..

Old 05-09-2006, 04:08 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Before I forget to post the final resolution of this problem. The final ticket showed that one of the wires that connect to the TB was improperly grounding. So they fixed the wires and didn't replace the TB.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:49 AM
minimort
5th Gear
Is the TSB for MINI's under warranty, or is it like a recall that is effective regardless of mileage?

Quick Reply: P1229 - throttle potentiometer adaption fault