Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

OMG, ABS issue again!!!! Help....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 04:44 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG, ABS issue again!!!! Help....

I had this problem back in December when El Kabong had about 600 miles on him. I'm now up at Road Atlanta (borrowing the Holiday Inn Computer) and when I left the track tonight the ABS light is on again!!!! Plus I'm getting the ticking from the steering column area again and the brakes are kind of "chirpy". Grabbing off and on????
I'm so beyond pissed, I still have another day of driving school tomorrow, to the tune of over $500.00 , when you figure in the hotel, and I guess I'm out for tomorrow. I've had this issue once before, I mean this is ridiculous.
I'm really about to cry, I was just getting my confidence on the track and was actually starting to look forward to driving tomorrow.
GRRRRRRRR!!!
I know I'm reaching, but does anyone have any suggestions? I was careful about tire pressure, and checking lug nuts. Brake fluid is ok and car never ran hot or had any problems, other than driver error.
Here's the prior thread
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=56726

Annette

Old 03-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the same problem as your previous one. Most likely the steering angle sensor fault again. :( Are you able to disable DSC at all? That way you can still take your car to the track.

EDIT: Sorry, wasn't reading carefully...thought it was a DSC light

You should check the front and rear wheel areas by the strut towers for loose connections. It might be that the wires for the wheel speed sensors got knocked loose. It could also be the slip ring for the angle sensor, but as it sounds like a repeat of your last problem probably is. You can disable the ABS function, but isn't recommended until as a last resort.

Oh one more thing, if you checked the wires for the wheel speed sensor making sure they're not disconnected try disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for 30mins and see if that helps

Old 03-15-2006, 06:41 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you get this resolved?

If so, please post what the fix was.
Thanks, norm

Originally Posted by BoCRon
I had this problem back in December when El Kabong had about 600 miles on him. I'm now up at Road Atlanta (borrowing the Holiday Inn Computer) and when I left the track tonight the ABS light is on again!!!! Plus I'm getting the ticking from the steering column area again and the brakes are kind of "chirpy". Grabbing off and on????
I'm so beyond pissed, I still have another day of driving school tomorrow, to the tune of over $500.00 , when you figure in the hotel, and I guess I'm out for tomorrow. I've had this issue once before, I mean this is ridiculous.
I'm really about to cry, I was just getting my confidence on the track and was actually starting to look forward to driving tomorrow.
GRRRRRRRR!!!
I know I'm reaching, but does anyone have any suggestions? I was careful about tire pressure, and checking lug nuts. Brake fluid is ok and car never ran hot or had any problems, other than driver error.
Here's the prior thread
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=56726

Annette

Old 06-19-2006, 08:55 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, sorry I never posted the end of this.
They ended up keeping El Kabong for over a week. When all was said and done they said there was a metal chunk lodged in the sensor that was causing the problems. As I recall, they changed out the sensor like the first time and got the same codes almost immediately. They dismantled everything and "found" the metal piece. I asked if it was left over from the build but they said no. I found this to be suspect only because MINI is famous for denying warranty work on issues caused by "outside forces" ie road debris, etc. They fixed the issue under warranty, which I'm glad about, but I never quite bought their explanation, but hey, maybe they're right.
Anyway, all has been running perfectly ever since.
Annette