Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

HELP! ABS Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 05:09 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! ABS Crisis

I was on the way to my daughter's school play this evening and heard a ticking sound, sounds like it was in the steering column region. The ABS light, the tire light and some other yellow light (a triangle thing) are all on.
I did run over a stick in the road, but nothing major, it was maybe thumb width and a couple of feet long with a couple of side branches sticking out, other than that nothing happened that I can think of.
El Kabong has a grand total of 540 miles on him, so this is not pleasant to say the least.
Any ideas?
We have put him up on ramps and have looked all under and don't see anything wedged or leaking.
HELP!!!
Annette

Old 12-08-2005, 05:55 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked the tire pressures? Just looking at them (runflats) won't tell you anything.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:58 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bet it's no big deal

Just give your dealership (service) a call. They ought to give you a loaner (with a slightly less illumated dashboard) and then diagnose/repair all of your "issues" under warranty...

If this really happened at an auto-cross type event, I would consider refraining from mentioning that,
Tatt

Old 12-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
BTW, the 'triangle light' is your DSC warning light.
As Ian suggested, check the tire pressure first.
The three are all related to the ABS sensors, so it's possible the stick knocked one loose??
Did the light come on immediately after you hit the stick?

Hopefully your dealer is nearby, and can resolve the issue quickly.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:33 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Well, if the lights are staying on I'd take it in ASAP as per my manual, you just never know. From the sound of it you should still be safe driving, just be careful as your ABS and traction control might not be working. The manual regarding lights:

Yellow: check as soon as possible -

Antilock Brake System (ABS) +
The ABS has failed. Conventional
braking efficiency is available. Have
the system checked as soon as possible.
More information on page 70.

All Season traction Control (ASC)/
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) +
Indicator lamp flashes:
System active: drive and braking forces are
regulated.
The indicator lamp stays lit: ASC/DSC deac-
tivated with button or defective.
In the event of a defect: Have the system
checked as soon as possible.
More information on pages 68, 69.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:40 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Well, it did not happen at any type of autocross event, just on the way to the play at the elementary school
The lights did not come on immediately after running over the stick, the only reason that came to mind is because I ran over a stick in my PT once and had to pull over to dislodge it because it was causing a terrible racket! The light came on within 20 miles on the odometer.
I'm really freaked about this, like I said there are only 540 miles on the car, it's barely gotten really warmed up yet!
I'll check the tire pressure first thing in the morning. I'm guessing it would have to be towed in . The dealer is about a 30 minute drive away (with no traffic, much longer otherwise).
Anyway, thanks for the help, I'll update when I check the pressure and call the dealership.
Annette

Old 12-09-2005, 05:44 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
This is the possible issue your seeing.

Theres a bulletin out for this issue your saying you have and it doesnt look to be a big deal.

SUBJECT: Illuminated Dynamic Stablility Control (DSC) Light

MODEL : R50 (COOPER) and R53 (COOPER S)

SITUATION : Illuminated DSC light with Internal Steering Angle Sensor Fault stored in error memory, Flat Tire Monitor light may also be illuminated.

FAULT CODE : DSC fault code 5E43 / Steering sensor fault code 0011

CAUSE : Steering Angle Sensor has a time out error

CORRECTION : Install and recode a new Steering Angel Sensor.

Old 12-09-2005, 06:11 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Dang! You're good.
I just got off the phone with Global and they said that's what it is. I am dropping off El Kabong at 8am tomorrow and will have him back by closing.
I'm getting a loaner, so all is good with me. Problems don't bother me unless they are handled badly. As it stands now, they are doing the right thing by trying to make sure I'm not horribly inconvenienced, so that's good.
I think I'll see if they can install an AUX plug to have to use until the new Ipod connector comes out.
Thanks again everyone for the great help,
Annette
P.S. My husband has been very amusing about this, he's convinced that the NAM Emergency Rescue Team was going to show up any minute.

Old 12-09-2005, 06:33 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
No problem....I work for Mini and just looked up the issue you said you had.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:14 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
P.S. My husband has been very amusing about this, he's convinced that the NAM Emergency Rescue Team was going to show up any minute.
Was he listening for the helicopters and expecting to see a bunch of NAMer's parachuting into your front yard while legions of MINI's were pulling up in front of your house?

Sorry, that was too good to let pass without a comment.

Good luck on the repairs. At least you won't be MINIless while El Kabong is at the doctor.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:16 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BoCRon
Dang! You're good. Thanks again everyone for the great help,
Annette

That was funny about your hubby! The Rescue Team have provided me terrific advice & counsel on many occasions.

Good Luck today
Tatt

Old 12-09-2005, 07:17 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
This isnt GEEK squad.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:20 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just got off the phone with Global ... dropping off El Kabong at 8am tomorrow and will have him back by closing
Great news
I had a steering angle sensor changed on GBMINI#2 - they seem be have been a bit problematical since day one!

I think I'll see if they can install an AUX plug ...
Make sure to get a labor quote - the install is not a big job but I have read of big charges from some dealerships (like $40 for the AUX input and >$100 to install!)

Old 12-09-2005, 07:24 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
This isnt GEEK squad.
You're right-we're BETTER!!!!!!!!! The cars are a lot more COOL!

Old 12-09-2005, 07:27 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mishka
You're right-we're BETTER!!!!!!!!! The cars are a lot more COOL!
your right about that.....Im still trying to get my girl out of here POS beetle.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:33 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
Make sure to get a labor quote - the install is not a big job but I have read of big charges from some dealerships (like $40 for the AUX input and >$100 to install!)
My Aux Input was $109 total (parts and installation). That was quite a bit less than what it would have cost had I tried to do the installation myself, followed by a service call to fix everything I screwed up. So far, the best $100 I have spent on my MINI. But I haven't started with the mods yet either.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:38 AM
eVal
6th Gear
I'm just curious though - the initial post said your ABS light went on and stayed on top of the tire monitor and traction control, but the Service Bulletin doesn't mention that as part of the steering angle sensor thing. Is that a mistake in the TSB not mentioning it or another issue?

Old 12-09-2005, 07:42 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The ABS system incorporates the steering angle sensor, the DSC/ASR functions, the flat tire monitoring, etc. The ABS computer can turn on any of those lights in the event of a problem.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:52 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
The ABS system incorporates the steering angle sensor, the DSC/ASR functions, the flat tire monitoring, etc. The ABS computer can turn on any of those lights in the event of a problem.
I knew the systems were integrated, but usually in TSBs I've read in the past they cover any detail that might be related to the issue and from the above the ABS light was not mentioned as symptomatic for that bulletin so I was just curious about it and if it was a mistaken omission or perhaps another matter altogether.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:52 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
You are right.....It just might have another problem on top of this. its possble whatever her ran over might of taken out the sensor or made it fault.

Old 12-10-2005, 10:41 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mishka
Was he listening for the helicopters and expecting to see a bunch of NAMer's parachuting into your front yard while legions of MINI's were pulling up in front of your house?
Well actually he was expecting a gaggle of experts in their MINIs to show up with tool kits and coolers full of Newcastles and Boddingtons!

Anyway, El Kabong was dropped at the dealer at 8am today. The service manager (Tom) called me an hour later and said it was what he thought it would be, but that it was the rear one instead of the front one! They don't keep that part in stock so I will have to wait until Tuesday to pick him back up. Meanwhile they've given me a black MC Cabrio for a loaner, so I'm having fun with that. The shifting is a very different sensation, not at all like my 6speed Getrag, but fun nonetheless.
I am having a bit of trouble with the visibility thing, so while I'm enjoying the cabrio, I'll be happy when El Kabong gets home!
Annette

Old 12-10-2005, 01:24 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you might have clipped one of these:

Old 12-10-2005, 03:50 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
i dont get it

Old 12-11-2005, 01:08 PM
mattcoon
3rd Gear
the tsb is for steering sensor. this does not impact ABS light, therefore the problem you have is different. If all three are on after driving over a stick, you probably snagged a wheel speed sensor. if this breaks, you loose DSC, ASC, Tire monitoring, and ABS (partially).

Old 12-11-2005, 02:37 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Well actually he was expecting a gaggle of experts in their MINIs to show up with tool kits and coolers full of Newcastles and Boddingtons!

Anyway, El Kabong was dropped at the dealer at 8am today. The service manager (Tom) called me an hour later and said it was what he thought it would be, but that it was the rear one instead of the front one! They don't keep that part in stock so I will have to wait until Tuesday to pick him back up. Meanwhile they've given me a black MC Cabrio for a loaner, so I'm having fun with that. The shifting is a very different sensation, not at all like my 6speed Getrag, but fun nonetheless.
I am having a bit of trouble with the visibility thing, so while I'm enjoying the cabrio, I'll be happy when El Kabong gets home!
Annette
Please keep us updated. I am glad you are getting advice here at NAM. We have our fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Quick Reply: HELP! ABS Crisis