Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Weird Transmission squeeking noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:40 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Transmission squeeking noise.

Has anyone experience this? Squeeking noise comming from the tranmission? It has happened a couple times now in like the past month... so its not very often... It happens when I'm starting off from a stand still while feathering the clutch I hear a fairly loud squeeking noise for a split second and then it goes away.

Today happened when i was reversing up into my driveway... Last time it happened was when i was moving up a couple of feet to park the car.

Oh both occoasion it squeeked when i was letting up the clutch to almost about 80% up and it made the squeeking noise.

Is it anything I should be concerned about.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:50 PM
W3IWI
5th Gear
Chances are it is a bad throwout bearing in the clutch. You will probably find that it only happens when the engine is cold, before centrifugal force has thrown some lube into the bearing. If you do a search on something like "squeaking clutch" you will see several reports from others.

If so, it's fairly common. Most dealers with do a clutch+bearing replacement under warranty if you beat on them. They did it for me at about 35k miles on my '02 MCS and no problems (knock on wood) since.

Get it fixed while the warranty is still good. Don't say the words "slipping clutch" to them, or they may claim it is normal wear and not a warranty item.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:11 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
My car has 29.5K miles on it and the clutch is fine... its not slipping at all. What I ment was when I'm feathering the clutch... aka slipping it when starting off is when I heard the sound...

You think the dealer will care? I has happened like a handfull of times now... they'll say cannot duplicate problem I bet.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:49 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i also think that it's your OT bearing.

the clutch does not need to be worn out to where it slips for the OT
bearing to wear out. i think for now you're probably ok, but if the
noise starts getting consistent you might want to take her in.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:35 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I just got my mini back from the dealer last week with a new clutch b/c of this problem. It seems that a ton of people have addressed this issue and MiniUSA has come out with a solution. The solution, One new Clutch to everyone having the problem. That's all they said according to my SA. So they took my mini for 2 weeks and replaced the clutch and to my disappointment, it is still making the same noise. Mini said that the material that the clutch was made out of was causing it to shrink up to much when it got cold outside and therefor not making perfect contact with the flywheel or something like that. That is what I was told by my service Advisor. As I said before, Just replacing the clutch didn't solve my problem so I am contacting my SA sometime this week to see what he suggest.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:05 PM
spclark
1st Gear
"New" clutch, huh?

How many miles have you folks run up before needing a new clutch?

I ask only 'cause I've had my '03 S since mid-October 2002 & just passed 102,600 miles a day or so ago.

Still have the original clutch & flywheel. Still feels tight, though lately I'm beginning to think it may be beginning to slip when I get going in 1st or thru the 1-2 change-up.

It's going into the shop in the morning as the replacement (rebuilt) steering pump just started to act up this morning. I got home today and it WOULDN'T SHUT OFF! So something's whacked.

Clutch-wise though, I was going to see if the Service Guys had any ideas on just how much life there is left in my clutch and whether I should go for a "new" one before the summer driving season kicks in.

FYI - that pump was replaced 18 months ago, dealer used an aftermarket pump as they said it would be 10 days to two weeks to get an OEM unit, and those are almost twice the price. 'Least they said this one had a "lifetime" guarantee (my life, my MINI's, or the pumps?) though I'm sure I'll have to pay the labor $$ to replace this one if it's really sour.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:06 PM
cushin14
6th Gear
Originally Posted by EBMCS03
You think the dealer will care? I has happened like a handfull of times now... they'll say cannot duplicate problem I bet.
They should have the ability to hook it up to a puter & tell what went wrong & when. I only have 3500 miles now on the MINI....going to have to read. I am sure they have an ECU or something...you just need the heads up from a "mechanic friend" before going to the dealer & trusting their instinct. I've not dealt with MINI or BMW on service yet, but they are most all the same on "odd" problems!

Old 03-22-2006, 09:15 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cushin14
They should have the ability to hook it up to a puter & tell what went wrong & when. I only have 3500 miles now on the MINI....going to have to read. I am sure they have an ECU or something...you just need the heads up from a "mechanic friend" before going to the dealer & trusting their instinct. I've not dealt with MINI or BMW on service yet, but they are most all the same on "odd" problems!
They cannot hook the cars ECU to the computer and tell if the clutch is slipping or not. Or whatever is wrong wtih the clutch...

But just as an update. The tech heard it and repalced the clutch with a referb one but now it Sooooooooo light I dont like the feel, and the catch point is small and all the way at the top.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=64200

Old 03-23-2006, 05:41 AM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Has anyone experience this? Squeeking noise comming from the tranmission? It has happened a couple times now in like the past month... so its not very often... It happens when I'm starting off from a stand still while feathering the clutch I hear a fairly loud squeeking noise for a split second and then it goes away.

Today happened when i was reversing up into my driveway... Last time it happened was when i was moving up a couple of feet to park the car.

Oh both occoasion it squeeked when i was letting up the clutch to almost about 80% up and it made the squeeking noise.

Is it anything I should be concerned about.

Hey there,

The common cause for this noise is the flywheel - it is a "dual mass" flywheel and sometimes they make noise. BMW has an "updated" flywheel to replace old ones that start making this noise - IF you complain about it. However, I just had mine replaced with the clutch assembly and it is making the noise again . Sooooo My MCS is going back to the dealer in a few weeks for the Inspection 1 and I will have them check it out then - I will keep you posted.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:20 AM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigcoyote
Hey there,

The common cause for this noise is the flywheel - it is a "dual mass" flywheel and sometimes they make noise. BMW has an "updated" flywheel to replace old ones that start making this noise - IF you complain about it. However, I just had mine replaced with the clutch assembly and it is making the noise again . Sooooo My MCS is going back to the dealer in a few weeks for the Inspection 1 and I will have them check it out then - I will keep you posted.
Thanks. Yes please keep us updated and tell me how your clutch feel is after, if they decide to replace the clutch along with your flywheel.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:45 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Clutch still squeeking... squeeked 3 times in my 6 mile drive just now. And I was accelerating normal. Not hard at all any automatic would have been faster than me. STILL squeeks with remanufactured clutch and new flywheel. ARGH these lingering issues are annoying.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Hey there,

I just droped off my 04 MCS at the dealer for the Inspection 1 -- he listened to the noise - poof - he said you need a new clutch, we should have it done in a day or so.

Soooooo..... I will keep you posted - this should cure the noise, according to the dealer.

Oh.. and yes, it is covered under warranty

Old 04-05-2006, 05:58 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Update. I did not take the car back to the dealer. I decided to drive it longer just to see if it'll squeek again and since that day where it squeeked like 3 times in 6 miles I have heard a total of 1 squeek so for now it seems to be gone.

Coyote... when you pick up your car see what the invoice says and if it says "RMFD" ask them why its a remanufactured clutch. My service advisor didnt give me an answer when I asked... he just shruged his shoulders... I want to hear it from another SA.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Thanks for the tip!! It better not be remanufactured!!! I paid for the last clutch assembly ( 2-3K miles ago ) - I paid for the parts the dealer / Mini paid the labor. They had the trans out of the car for the flywheel update - so I figured I could save some $$ by having it done at the same time. The entire clutch assembly was about $300.00 ( parts ) from the dealer.

The car should be ready sometime tomorrow - I'll post then:impatient

Old 04-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My clutch is fine. I have a 2003 Cooper, but the problem I have is that when taking off in first gear, right when the gear seems to engage, there is a slight clunk. What it seems like to me is the driveshaft turns slightly until it engages, and once it engages that's the slight clunk I hear. Is it the transmission maybe. I suppose mine is before they went the Getrags.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:32 PM
GREY MATTER
Neutral
Can't wait to hear what the dealer says,does Bigcoyote. My 04 mcs does the same noise. Going in for Inspection 1 in a few thousand miles. Got a list of stuff for them to fix.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:03 PM
mbutterf
Neutral
how do you know if your clutch is bad

my clutch feels tight and elastic sometime and it only has 2000 miles o it... should I be worried.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Snappychip
3rd Gear
'05 Mcs

My '05 does it with 18,000 miles when the car is cold... even on warm days... havent really talked to my SA about it but yeah mine does it.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Snappychip
My '05 does it with 18,000 miles when the car is cold... even on warm days... havent really talked to my SA about it but yeah mine does it.
It's just happened to my 5 weeks old car.
I brought him in to the dealer today.
SA took a test drive and heard the noise. He keep my car and will inform me once he find out what exactly it is.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:59 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Its the flywheel. They replaced it and it works perfectly, the noise is disappeared.
By the way, I have to be at the dealer again. They didn't put the steering column rubber seals back in place.
I can hear everything from the engine bay through that hole.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:03 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
OK my car is doing "the clutch engage squeak" its really annoying and getting worse. I lost out on the warrenty coverage by a month . So I've ordered a Bentley manual and will replace parts with the help of a local shop. I need to know what parts/hardware/gaskets/seals I need to order. I would like to order everything I might need and return anything I don't use. I need recommnedations for a supplier that is reasonable. And maybe aftermaket items as flywheels, cluches TO bearings forks etc.