Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Clutch feels very light after being replaced?

Old 03-22-2006, 06:51 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch feels very light after being replaced?

I just got my car back after getting a clutch and flywheel replaced.

I told them there was a high squeek when taking off and when going in reverse up a driveway. They were able to dupliicate it and said i needed a new clutch and flywheel.

Well now with the new clutch and flywheel the clutch is VERY VERY light. mine use to be a lot stiffer and harder. I actually prefer that. I dont like this light clutch feel.

I thought after getting a new clutch it usually is "harder" not lighter...

And what I'm pretty un happy about is I also noticed that on the invoice paper it says "remanufactured clutch" Apparently its not new as I thought, hoped and was told it was going to be.

Ok I'm not sure if it is "remanufactured" but can any tell me what

"RMFD Clutch" means? If its not remanufactured what does it stand for? This is what is stated on the paperwork

I was told it needed a "new clutch and fly wheel" not a "remanufactured clutch and flywheel" I hope MINI doesnt use remanufactured parts...

Old 03-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My guess is a really weak diaphragm spring. I don't know what else would cause it. Only thing attached from clutch pedal to actual spring that'd cause this is the spring itself..or improperly bled slave cylinder, but that wouldn't do this.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:39 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like a lot of mini owners are having the same problem. I myself had the same thing happen and Just had my clutch replaced and am still having the problem. My clutch also felt light after I got it back but I actually like the feel of it better now. Check out these threads. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...382#post877382

and

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...386#post877386

Old 03-22-2006, 08:21 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
What problem are you still having with the new clutch? The high pitch squeeling?

Right now I'm complaining that its so much lighter... and feels like theres dead space towards the bottom and the catch point is very narrow and just at the top part of the clutch. Seems like its not as linear as before.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:41 PM
FastBandit
2nd Gear
I had the flywheel rattle. even with the twin charge setup in my car the dealer is still gonna warranty the flywheel and I have a Spec stage 3+ clutch they are also installing for free during the installation. I have never heard of any other manufacturer doing anything like that. I love my Mini Dealer!

Old 03-22-2006, 09:27 PM
5th Gear
The earlier models had stiffer clutches. After my girlfriends clutch was changed the new one was very light. That is normal, sometime around 04 they lightened it up a bit. I nearly stomp my foot through the floor board when I drive her car after being my spec2 equiped car all week. Althought the newer version isn't as sporty, it does make it very comfortable and easy to get moving from a stop.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:31 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 002
The earlier models had stiffer clutches. After my girlfriends clutch was changed the new one was very light. That is normal, sometime around 04 they lightened it up a bit. I nearly stomp my foot through the floor board when I drive her car after being my spec2 equiped car all week. Althought the newer version isn't as sporty, it does make it very comfortable and easy to get moving from a stop.
how sure are you of this? or was it just from driving your old 02 and your girlfriends?

DO you know when the change over was?

I want the heavier clutch back! DARN IT... I wish I knew... I dont liek this new refurb light clutch... *SIGH*

Old 03-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 002
Really? We had 4 05 MINIs at our Orlando STEP, and all of them felt pretty similiar to my 04 MINI which is fairly stiff.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:15 PM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Barnabas
Really? We had 4 05 MINIs at our Orlando STEP, and all of them felt pretty similiar to my 04 MINI which is fairly stiff.

I have two ealry 03's they both came with stiff clutches. Around the same time I worked at mini and drove new cars staight off the truck daily. Sometime around late 03 or early 04 I noticed the change. I haven't driven any late 05's. Again, after one of my cars had the clutch replaced it was rediculously easy to disengage. In fact, my girlfriend is still pissed that it was changed

Old 03-22-2006, 11:21 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MINI only uses Reman parts!!

I got a new tranny in my 05 Cooper (warranty) and it was a reman!!!

Old 03-23-2006, 12:11 AM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
My '06 has a pretty light clutch. I've never driven an earlier model MINI, so it's just an observation.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:38 AM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by EBMCS03
What problem are you still having with the new clutch? The high pitch squeeling?

Right now I'm complaining that its so much lighter... and feels like theres dead space towards the bottom and the catch point is very narrow and just at the top part of the clutch. Seems like its not as linear as before.
I just had my clutch & flywheel replaced on my '05 MCS and mine definitely doesn't feel like you are describing. It is lighter feeling (but not too light) than the original one, but super smooth and the friction point is down very low.

The description you are giving of your new one is more like my original sans the light feel. My original was not linear at all (would actually seem to catch on something, then release), seemed way too heavy and the friction point was way at the top...made starting on a steep hill without a handbrake quite a challenge .

Old 03-23-2006, 06:36 AM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 002
I have two ealry 03's they both came with stiff clutches. Around the same time I worked at mini and drove new cars staight off the truck daily. Sometime around late 03 or early 04 I noticed the change. I haven't driven any late 05's. Again, after one of my cars had the clutch replaced it was rediculously easy to disengage. In fact, my girlfriend is still pissed that it was changed
Hmm...maybe I have one of these "light" clutches and never realized it lol. Are the old clutches like ///M car stiff? I always thought mine was fairly stiff and nowhere close to being light like a BMW clutch

Old 03-23-2006, 07:24 AM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Barnabas
Hmm...maybe I have one of these "light" clutches and never realized it lol. Are the old clutches like ///M car stiff? I always thought mine was fairly stiff and nowhere close to being light like a BMW clutch
Yes the old ones were like M3 and M5 stiff without the Clutch delay valve and was very linear... I MUCH MUCH prefer the old clutch feel. So sad...

Well glad to hear that its "normal"

Old 03-23-2006, 07:26 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
here is a suggestion, have your clutch master blead properly. When we did my flywheel/clutch it seemed extremly soft also, I blead it properly and broke it in and now it feels very similar to stock.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:27 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
The mini clutch has a lighter feel then the honda civic one :-D

Old 03-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Yes the old ones were like M3 and M5 stiff without the Clutch delay valve and was very linear... I MUCH MUCH prefer the old clutch feel. So sad...

Well glad to hear that its "normal"
Really? Hmm...because I thought skatemom's was pretty light, but mine isn't ///M car stiff, and definitely stiffer than the regular BMW clutch. Interesting.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:28 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
I wish you drove mine and then you would have remembered...

Old 03-23-2006, 12:30 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Well I took the car back today since I got the ABS light on, DSC, and the RFT indicator on after picking up the car.

I just got the car back right now and it was a cut speed sensor line. *shrugs* dont know how that happened. I didnt run over anything yesterday.

And the clutch lightness the Service Advisor said is "normal" thats how they were all the time. But then someone here said he noticed the change in late 2003. So apparently they did change it to a lighter clutch! *sigh* I dont like the new light one... I get less control but nothing I can do now but to sell the car. :p
So everything is good and dandy so far for now.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:30 PM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my clutch replaced, 20,000 miles ago. It felt light when I got it back as well. I actually complained about the lightness when I picked it up. They sadi to give it a few days. Well, I did it feels better.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:41 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Originally Posted by golden_child
I had my clutch replaced, 20,000 miles ago. It felt light when I got it back as well. I actually complained about the lightness when I picked it up. They sadi to give it a few days. Well, I did it feels better.
Thanks. I'll give it a while and see how it is... either it'll be better after break in or you / we'll get use to it.

OH do you still have your invoice? does it say RMFD clutch? Re-manufactured clutch on it?

thanks.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:56 PM
casper_mini
1st Gear
new clutch

My car is at the dealer right now having this job done. I had that clutch squeal sound. I hope my clutch doesn't get too light. I am getting nervous now. I should get it back today or tomorrow. I will let you guys know how it goes.
:impatient

Old 03-26-2006, 04:44 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Clutch still squeeking... squeeked 3 times in my 6 mile drive just now. And I was accelerating normal. Not hard at all any automatic would have been faster than me. STILL squeeks with remanufactured clutch and new flywheel. ARGH these lingering issues are annoying.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:03 AM
5th Gear
how sure are you of this? or was it just from driving your old 02 and your girlfriends?

DO you know when the change over was?

I want the heavier clutch back! DARN IT... I wish I knew... I dont liek this new refurb light clutch... *SIGH*
Sorry, I missed this post. I am 100% sure. At the time both my girlfrien and I owned an msc and I worked at a mini dealership (detailing at the time) and had to drive about five cars a day down the steet to get gas. These cars were right off the truck and I always kept an eye out for changes.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:17 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
I have gone through several clutches in 500,000 miles of driving over the past 35+ years. Regardless of make or model, most clutches slowly get stiffer over time as they get closer to failure. This usually happens so slowly over time that you don't notice it until the new clutch goes in. The clutches in my '84 vette would go from feather light to requiring herculean effort over their lifetimes. It has to do with the spring mechanisms fatiguing (losing shape) and particulary getting fouled with clutch disc dust.

My current clutch is squealing mildly at take off and getting more difficult to depress over time. The squeeling would indicate that the flywheel is already blue-burnt and probably heat stress cracked, so no need to rush a replacement. I'll just get the most out of it until it starts to slip before I replace clutch and flywheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch feels very light after being replaced?