Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Mini s -no start. What is this piece hanging under the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 01:39 PM
REHutch
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini s -no start. What is this piece hanging under the dash?

I washed my Mini Friday night. While I didn't wash the engine, I had the hood open and washed the black plastic under the lights,, the bottom edge of the hood and heck, I probably briefly hosed the whole engine as I moved the hose.
Next day the mini will not start. I figured I left something one and tried to jump it. It was very dark and the battery indicator looked black. After trying to jump with no luck I finally saw that the battery indicator looked green. Was it black and then turned green? I don't know.
Maybe I got something wet. I waited another day and tried to start again.
Nothing. I mean no starting noise what so ever. My radio worked fine, no loss of presets, my HID head lights were bright.

No, it had done something similar to this when the carpet slid under the clutch and I couldn't fully depress the clutch. So I got down and looked to make sure that nothing was blocking the clutch. Nothing was. Wouldn't start. Perhaps the switch was messed up. I inspected the clutch pedal again an I noticed this piece of plastic just hanging coming from the left kick plate. It is black, about the length and width of a finer and maybe 3-4 mm thick. It is labeled on one side with 101003 in white letters and on the other embossed in the plastic PA6.6 (something). 4 wires feed into it, a green, green/brown, gray, brown(?).

Anyone have a clue if this is suppose to be part of the assembly that prevents the car from starting if the clutch is not depressed??

I'd take it to the dealer but the drive is about 200 miles each way and I'll have to have it towed up.

2004 Mini S.

Any replies short of flames most appreciated.

REH
rehutchinsonii@yahoo.com

Old 02-05-2006, 01:50 PM
XAlfa
Banned
I think you probably figured it out. Does the thing hanging down look like the male part of an electrical snap connector? There is a female "recepticle" on the clutch cylinder, just in front of the clutch push rod into which a connector snaps with 4 wires, as you describe. Crawl under and take a look.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:02 AM
REHutch
1st Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
I think you probably figured it out. Does the thing hanging down look like the male part of an electrical snap connector? There is a female "recepticle" on the clutch cylinder, just in front of the clutch push rod into which a connector snaps with 4 wires, as you describe. Crawl under and take a look.

The piece that hangs is a male connector but it is snapped into a piece of plastic that acts as a female connector. The femal piece seems to have no wires going to it and apparently has no function that I can discern.
The clutch has a male connector snapped into it already, and the piece I found wouldn't be long enought to reach.

GadS!!

Old 02-17-2006, 08:15 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
Maybe that wire that you found with a female piece is a relay and has nothing to do with your issue. Does the car try to even attempt to turn over or do you get nothing when trying to start? Do you hear anything when attempting to start? I would check the engine bay and make sure no wires became loose. A possibility could be when you hosed the covers off, maybe you shorted something out and not realized it. Please give us an update when you can.

Garrett

Old 02-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is of little help to you but the PA6 thing is the plastic compound designation, for recycling. It's not a part number or anything, so ignore that if trying to describe the part to a technician or whomever.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:04 AM
REHutch
1st Gear
You were right....

Originally Posted by XAlfa
I prefer to top post, but I think the consensus here it to bottom post so...

I crawled under the dash like you said and I could not find a place to hook the part that was dangling. In fact, there seemed to be something plugged into the clutch assembly. And the dangling thing truly had nothing to plug.
It was already plugged into a piece that dangled with it. But this was what Mini cited as the problem when I took it in. I've not had a chance to get under there again, but when I do, can I post pics here? Or somewhere? Heck, I should have thought of that to start with. DUH!!

REH

If I have web space, can I just ftp the pics to my web address?? ((Yes I am a complete NEWBY at websiteing, but not Web Citeing.....but I can't spell at 3am anyways.)

Old 02-27-2006, 07:19 AM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Upload the pictures to your gallery.