Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

stupid.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 04:04 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stupid.

is just what I felt the other day.On Christmas eve I pulled a SES light, but the car continued to run fine , so I ignored it. In the past, 5 starts have cleared the light, but not this time. So once again I show up at the dealer. One of his mechanics comes out grinning from ear to ear " loose gas cap" DOH! wait a minute, my car's an 02 and I have an idiot light in the speedo cluster to tell me this (which has happened twice in 65 k miles) . "what software upgrade do you have?" V39. yeah, that's the thing, loose gas caps now throw the SES light, I've only seen the other light come on in the speedo in very early cars. UM, yup............June 02 build dude???WTF!?

anybody else have this happen? If you throw a "service engine soon" light, check the effin gas cap first. grrrrrrrrrr

Old 12-28-2005, 04:06 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Yeah, throws the code im my 02 MC and 03 MCS, and my old 96 Saab. It should on any vehicle that has a pressurized gas tank I was told. Always check the gas cap first.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:09 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by holdenontoit
is just what I felt the other day.On Christmas eve I pulled a SES light, but the car continued to run fine , so I ignored it. In the past, 5 starts have cleared the light, but not this time. So once again I show up at the dealer. One of his mechanics comes out grinning from ear to ear " loose gas cap" DOH! wait a minute, my car's an 02 and I have an idiot light in the speedo cluster to tell me this (which has happened twice in 65 k miles) . "what software upgrade do you have?" V39. yeah, that's the thing, loose gas caps now throw the SES light, I've only seen the other light come on in the speedo in very early cars. UM, yup............June 02 build dude???WTF!?

anybody else have this happen? If you throw a "service engine soon" light, check the effin gas cap first. grrrrrrrrrr
Did they tell you what the code was fir the 'loose gas cap'?

Old 12-28-2005, 04:17 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
I dont know the code number, but came up as something like "small leak exhaust system".

Old 12-28-2005, 04:18 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaiderZA
Did they tell you what the code was fir the 'loose gas cap'?
no , they said it was a " pressure leak" , but I forgot to ask the specific code.I want to know why my idiot light in the speedo no longer seems to function for this.what are the options for code readers: brands, costs, available where, etc. . It seems like it's time for this MINIAC to get one of these.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:16 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by holdenontoit
I want to know why my idiot light in the speedo no longer seems to function for this.what are the options for code readers: brands, costs, available where, etc. . It seems like it's time for this MINIAC to get one of these.
Me too!

Old 12-28-2005, 06:31 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Schuck's will read your code for free any time I believe. Ive done it a few times. Their machine is only a few hundred bucks to purcahse.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Sam
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
error code

In the IT realm we would call that an ID ten T user error.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:17 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
Code readers

I know Peake research sells a code scan/reset tool for about $130. I also have seen this, which is not as functional as Peake's but cheaper. Not sure if it works with the MINI:
CTool OBD II (digimoto.com)
"The CTool is a stand alone unit for reading and clearing codes from your OBD II port (and turning the check engine light off). A computer is not required to interface with your vehicle. If you are only looking to turn your check engine light off and retrieve error codes, this is the unit you want. This unit is compatible with OBD II compliant vehicles (1996 and newer). This unit will not work on VW, Audi and Diesel Fueled vehicles."

Old 12-29-2005, 02:35 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
good info, THANKS

Old 12-29-2005, 08:51 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wat's the DTC you get for P_____ for loose cap?

thanks