Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

High beam replacement on car w/ Xenons

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 09:01 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High beam replacement on car w/ Xenons

Ok to start off I know the high beam bulb is an H7 and not a xenon bulb. Ok got that off my chest. I want to upgrade the bulb for a better one and can't get it out. There isn't a simple clip that releases and lets the bulb come out. Its something else. I have an 05 MCSa with the factory Xenons.

The owner's manual only explains the installation on a car without the Xenons.

Anyone?

Old 06-12-2005, 09:14 PM
fs-mini
3rd Gear
Mine is a 05 MCS with Xenon, so I guess they should be the same. If I remember correctly, there are like 3 clips holding the bulb. I used a flat head screwdriver to help pressing down the two of the clips and the bulb came loose.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bulb Choices & How to change them

First,
Here are two choices for replacements:
OSRAM 65 watt H-7 Halogen Part # 64217 or
PIAA Xtreme White Plus 65 Watt H-7 Part # 17155 Single or 17655 Twin Pack.

How to change them:

Look directly behind the high beam bulb in the Xenon Unit---the lower bulb. Directly behind it, you'llsee a black plastic cover about 3 inches around, with 2 tabs on it. Twist this counter-clockwise to expose the rear of the bulb.

You'll see a black plastic connector with a wires---1 brown, 1 white. Pull this connector---grab the black plastic, not the wires---and it will slide off the 2 contacts at the back of the bulb.

There's a wire spring that has a loop on one end. (looks like 2 sides of a triangle, with a hindge on one side. You squeeze this away from the catch on one side and the spring will swivel away from holding the bulb. Use one finger to hold the bulb in place and one to move the spring, and the bulb will drop into your hand.

The base has a bayonet fitting that can only go in one way, just check to be sure the tab is in the slot, and the base is seated correctly in the housing.

Here's the hard part. You need to place the replacement bulb into the housing without touching the glass, and hold it in place, and then flip up the retaining spring and hook it in place.

Then just re-connect the wires, twist on the cover, and close the hood.

It's a little alkward working with the hood up, but once you've done one, the second one is easy.

Charlie

Old 06-13-2005, 05:01 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief_Charlie
*snip*
There's a wire spring that has a loop on one end. (looks like 2 sides of a triangle, with a hindge on one side. You squeeze this away from the catch on one side and the spring will swivel away from holding the bulb. Use one finger to hold the bulb in place and one to move the spring, and the bulb will drop into your hand. *snippy*
Charlie
I agree with the wire loop and swivel. That's the way it was on my '02 MCS (No xeons).

But they changed the design. On my '05 MCSC (with xeons), after you remove the protective rubber boot, the bulb simply pulls straight out. No spring to mess with. You will see three (? - or four) little catches that hold the bulb in place that catch the lip of the H-7 bulb.

Simple.

Old 06-13-2005, 04:49 PM
etickt
2nd Gear
yank it

Yep. On an '05, twist off the black plastic cover, remove the plug and wires, then just yank the bulb straight out. The new one just presses back in. Make sure you push it in straight.

Old 06-13-2005, 05:12 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Ahh...You just plain yank it straight out. I was trying to push the pins out of the way and that was a pain. Thanks

Originally Posted by etickt
Yep. On an '05, twist off the black plastic cover, remove the plug and wires, then just yank the bulb straight out. The new one just presses back in. Make sure you push it in straight.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
When I tried to unplug the wires from mine, it just popped right out. I unplugged the wires after the bulb was out. New one just clicks in place.

It's worth mentioning again.... Don't touch the glass portion of the new bulb with your fingers! It's a good idea to wipe it off with alcohol before you install it in case someone inadvertently touched it at the factory. I always do.

The 65W bulbs will be a slight improvement over the stock bulbs. I'd advise staying with the clear ones, not the blue tinted ones.

Rawhyde

Old 06-13-2005, 07:36 PM
rmorin49
2nd Gear
My Recommendation

I substituted the Osrams high beams in my 05 MCSc with low beam xenons. Slight improvement over the stock H7 bulbs.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:41 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anyone have problems with the covers on a non xenon car unclipping and letting moinsuture get in? last time i washed my car with warm water, i noticed one of my headlights fogged up. i thought, oh crap, the lense got cracked. i popped the hood and the trap door on the back was hangin open.....

Old 06-17-2005, 06:11 AM
steebo777
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
anyone have problems with the covers on a non xenon car unclipping and letting moinsuture get in? last time i washed my car with warm water, i noticed one of my headlights fogged up. i thought, oh crap, the lense got cracked. i popped the hood and the trap door on the back was hangin open.....
I believe this is normal. It is to vent the housing or drain it or something. It happens to mine (and others on here in another thread somewhere) as well.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:35 PM
matma92ser
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chief_Charlie
First,
Here are two choices for replacements:
OSRAM 65 watt H-7 Halogen Part # 64217 or
PIAA Xtreme White Plus 65 Watt H-7 Part # 17155 Single or 17655 Twin Pack.
Charlie - Is the OSRAM also a "super white" type bulb? I'm basically looking for a reliable high beam bulb that matches the color of the factory Xenons. No need for extra light, as long as I'm not getting less light.

Old 07-08-2005, 06:40 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by matma92ser
Charlie - Is the OSRAM also a "super white" type bulb? I'm basically looking for a reliable high beam bulb that matches the color of the factory Xenons. No need for extra light, as long as I'm not getting less light.
the osram silverstar are white in color, they look about the same as the piaa xtreme white

Old 07-08-2005, 07:20 PM
driver centric
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kyriian
the osram silverstar are white in color, they look about the same as the piaa xtreme white
I have never seen the PIAAs, but the Osrams are not tinted at all. They are actually made to put out more light, as opposed to colored light like tinted bulbs. I have them on my current car and while they may be very slightly whiter than the stock bulbs, the real benefit is the added distance illumination.

mdsbrain: If you're looking for something to match the Xenons, the Osrams are probably not your best bet. I'd look at the PIAAs or something similar.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Kyriian

Been on vacation. Sorry for the slow response. driver centric is correct. The Osram's are not Xenon-like. They're a brighter bulb, but not in the same color "tone" as the PIAA Extreme White's or Extreme Super Whites.
Charlie