Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Cockpit Chrono Pack

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 08:32 AM
ururk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cockpit Chrono Pack

I'm trying to decide if this is right for me. I read the gauges were fake - is it just for show? By fake, someone was saying that the gauges took their information from the computer:
http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/01/..._gauge_install
This gauge gives the exact temperature. I was talking to one of the main engineers of mini Belgium, and he told about the gauges in the cockpit chrono pack are fake. The are cotrolled by the ecu and the readings are calculated by other engine parameters. So, he told me, if you would run out of engine oil the oil pressure gauge in the cockpit chrono pack would stil tell you it's ok, but the warninglight should light up.
I might just get it to move the speedo up to the steering wheel.

Anyone use this? Likes/Dislikes?

Thanks!

John

Old 06-11-2005, 08:50 AM
danmcg
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Chrono Pack. Some people really like the speedo in the center. I couldn't deal with it. Maybe if you get used to looking over to the right to see your speed, but I like the quick glance down to get the info I need. For some reason it seems safer to me.

I wouldn't go without it...

Old 06-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Don't know how much credence I'd give 'Riky' supposedly speaking to a 'main MINI engineer from Belgium', given that the cars are built in the UK. That said, the OPG seems to vary with engine speed, which is what one would expect - don't know how they'd fake that. Also tough to fake oil temp. The Miata had a fake OPG, but it just climbed to a predetermined point and didn't move. That shows that it's fake.I like the Chrono, and would have ordered it had I got an '05. I like more gauges, and definitely like the speedo in front of me.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:41 AM
ururk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by danmcg
I have the Chrono Pack. Some people really like the speedo in the center. I couldn't deal with it. Maybe if you get used to looking over to the right to see your speed, but I like the quick glance down to get the info I need. For some reason it seems safer to me.
This is one of the overriding reasons why I want the chrono pack - once I test drove a MINI, I didn't think I would be comfortable with the center mounted speedo. But... if it doesn't give me *real* information, then what good is it?

Old 06-11-2005, 11:32 AM
mattharris75
2nd Gear
Just get the trip computer, you can digitally display your speed on the bottom of the tach that way. I personally prefer that to an analog speedo anyway, coming from previously driving an S2000. Plus, the car looks much more unified when you have the symmetry of the speedo in the center. I don't use it much for actual speed info, but it's cool to have there visually and looks great when lit up at night.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:44 AM
YYC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mattharris75
Just get the trip computer, you can digitally display your speed on the bottom of the tach that way.
I thought the digital speed display at the bottom of the tach was standard (trip computer not required)? I have this digital display and it just alternates (by push button) between outside temp or current speed.

But...interestingly, I rarely look at the digital speed right in front of me...I have a natural glance over to the center speedo...totally adapted to that now. I would like an oil temp gauge though!:smile:

Old 06-11-2005, 01:18 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The oil temp and pressure guages in the chrono pack do NOT seem fake to me... As mentioned above, the oil pressure indication increases with RPMs, and the Oil Temp Guage takes a while longer to get into the middle zone than the water temp guage, so I think they're doing what they should. I had heard from another source that they are not true analog mechanisms, but they do behave like analog guages, so I'm happy. It's especially nice to be able to see that the oil temp is okay before using the upper region of the tach (4500RPM and up) - If I were relying on coolant (water) temp indication, I think I'd be on it too soon!

The main reason I got the chrono pack was to move the speedo away from the casual gaze of passengers!

Highly recommended!

_Dave_

Last edited by am0eba; 06-12-2005 at 07:05 AM. Reason: spelling/fat fingers
Old 06-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
they seem to be functional guages to me, the only thing I dont like is with the positioning of the speedo its not a simple glance to see the speed. You actually have to look at it for speed info.

Some like it some dont, I am glad I got it and it looks good and seems functional.

Old 06-11-2005, 07:50 PM
ururk
5th Gear
The mani reason I got the chrono pack was to move the speedo away from the casual gaze of passengers!
A good and wise decision!

Old 06-11-2005, 07:58 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the digital speedo in the tach is STANDARD, you dont need to get the trip coputer to get it.......

i think the chrono pack is ugly, id never have that in my car

Old 06-12-2005, 05:49 AM
davn8r
3rd Gear
I've got the chrono pack and haven't regretted it. However, it is one of the mods that I don't consider to be a "no brainer": I can also imagine not having it and being perfectly happy.

Here are a few things to keep in mind (some have been mentioned, but I'm trying to consolidate):
  • Can you get used to speedo in center? (Do you want to?)
  • Do you want passengers having easy access to speed info?
  • Do you need digital speed readout? (If you go with chrono pack and OBC, you forfeit digital current speed.)
  • How good are your eyes? The chrono pack speedo may be the hardest to read speedo I've ever seen.
  • How tall are you? Depending on your height and the position of the steering wheel and seat, you may not be able to see the very important parts of the speedo (the top fourth of the circle).
Bottom line for me is that I'm happy with mine, but I think it's a decision well worth the thought. It would be best to test-drive both.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2005, 07:07 AM
am0eba
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
the digital speedo in the tach is STANDARD, you dont need to get the trip coputer to get it.......

i think the chrono pack is ugly, id never have that in my car
The digital readouts are extremely difficult to see under some lighting conditions, especially in the convertible. Also, for me a digital speed readout takes more mental processing to "acquire".

Ugly? Not to me. Look how cute!

_Dave_

Attached Thumbnails Cockpit Chrono Pack-gauges800.jpg  
Old 06-12-2005, 08:48 AM
NoDak Pat
2nd Gear
I've been very happy with chrono pack. I too like speedo at steering wheel. My only complaint is that for some reason with this option (as opposed to just tach at steering wheel) digital display of speed isn't avail. Since the smaller speedo isn't nearly as detailed with its hash marks as the larger center mout, this may be a consideration, in your decision, if you are **** enough (like me) to see your exact mph. I've beaten this in certain circumstances by just resetting the mph average setting to see my current speed. Works for a few miles anyway.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:02 AM
CooperSS
4th Gear
rednwhite,

Digital speed read out in the tach is only standard on 04 and newer.

Bill

Old 06-12-2005, 10:08 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
ame0ba - you cnat even see the chrono pack in the picture.....you musnt like it that much

cooperss - what does that have to do with ordering the chrono pack on an 05 or 06 then?

Old 06-12-2005, 10:38 AM
asterix2112
2nd Gear
Also, for me a digital speed readout takes more mental processing to "acquire".
That why pilot gauges (military expecially) are still analog dials (altitude etc...) vs numbers even if they are digital displays, because tests have shown it takes much more mental processing to digest a digital number as opposed to the reative position of a needle on a gauge.

- John

PS - While I am not thrilled with the look of the chrono pack, I would not have bought the car with that stupid center mounted speedo, and I was not going to pay $1500 for the nav system. So it will do, but I really just care about having my speedo where it should be.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:46 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
ame0ba - you cnat even see the chrono pack in the picture.....you musnt like it that much

cooperss - what does that have to do with ordering the chrono pack on an 05 or 06 then?
WOOPS. Early Sunday morning fog... I thought the "ugly" complaint was about the speedo on the steering column, not the chrono pack itself. Actually, I could care less about the way the chrono pack itself looks.

_Dave_

Old 06-12-2005, 02:34 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
LOVE my chrono pack, hate the huge eccono-car look of the central speedo.

Old 06-12-2005, 03:09 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suppose it comes down to personal preference really. There's an awfully big hole in the dash and it has to be filled w/ something. I filled mine w/ something equally substantial...the speedo. I've never once found it to be in an unsafe position...you adjust pretty quickly (as in immediately...it's pretty big after all)! The center position is different... but that's what I like about it. Looks perfectly right in a MINI, imo.

It's an "option"...so there really is no wrong answer here. Sorry if this is not much help, but you're gonna have to agonize, fret, obsess, and lose sleep over each and every option you choose just like the rest of us. Good luck!

(ps...I'd expect the guages are probably good for something. I think this is really more about the look of your cockpit than anything else, imo.)

Old 06-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
I like the Chronopak, and I think it is functional. As others have said the OPG fluctuates with rpm as it should, and also when the oil is cold, -10F the pressure registers very high until the oil warms up, also as expected.

The speedo and tach at the steering wheel remind me of my motorcycles, as does the MINI, and that's a good thing.

Old 06-12-2005, 03:22 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kaelaria
LOVE my chrono pack, hate the huge eccono-car look of the central speedo.
????

It's an "option"...so there really is no wrong answer here. Sorry if this is no help, but you're gonna have to agonize, obsess, and lose sleep over each and every option you choose just like the rest of us. Good luck!
Agonize? Me? Yep. I've got a few months to obsess. Then some months to wait. Then after that more obsession (clean/drive/clean/drive/clean...).

Thanks,

John

Old 06-12-2005, 03:40 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ururk
(clean/drive/clean/drive/clean...)
Yup, you got it....that's pretty much how it goes, but when the car is this much fun to drive and looks this good.....IT IS SO AWESOME!!!

Old 06-12-2005, 05:15 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by davn8r
I've got the chrono pack and haven't regretted it. However, it is one of the mods that I don't consider to be a "no brainer": I can also imagine not having it and being perfectly happy.

Here are a few things to keep in mind (some have been mentioned, but I'm trying to consolidate):
  • Can you get used to speedo in center? (Do you want to?)
  • Do you want passengers having easy access to speed info?
  • Do you need digital speed readout? (If you go with chrono pack and OBC, you forfeit digital current speed.)
  • How good are your eyes? The chrono pack speedo may be the hardest to read speedo I've ever seen.
  • How tall are you? Depending on your height and the position of the steering wheel and seat, you may not be able to see the very important parts of the speedo (the top fourth of the circle).
Bottom line for me is that I'm happy with mine, but I think it's a decision well worth the thought. It would be best to test-drive both.

Good luck!
Excellent advice. Can I suggest one more? "Do you prefer to have 2 small gauges and one large one or 1 small gauge and 1 large one?"

Old 06-14-2005, 09:24 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by am0eba
WOOPS. Early Sunday morning fog... I thought the "ugly" complaint was about the speedo on the steering column, not the chrono pack itself. Actually, I could care less about the way the chrono pack itself looks.

_Dave_
no, i like the speedo on the column.

i think the chrono pack looks poorly designed and it looks like an afterthought and just a cheap way to move the speedo to the column if they dont like it in the middle.

why not just use the open space and put a massive coin tray in its place, now that would look cheap and econo car like, just like GM does if you dont get certain options on the cars, just add a change tray to any open shitch spot.

the center speedo looks classy and matches the cars heritage. the classic mini's all had center mounted speedo's, temp and gas gauges. it matches the car very well. also, having just a tach on the column makes the car seem more race like, since speed usually doesnt need to be watched while racing.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:41 AM
mattharris75
2nd Gear
Rednwhitecooper, that post expressed my feelings exactly. Thanks for saving me from all that typing. :smile: