Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

how many cracked upper strut mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 05:21 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dominicminicoopers
Just receiced a call from the dealership. They're in process of replacing mine. I asked if there was a recall on this part ever for the MINIs and they said "no".
True - it is not a "recall" in the purest sense. There is, however, a Service Bulletin regarding this and since dealerships always want to "milk" the warranty repairs as much as possible, the technicians (at least the decent ones that keep up-to-date with the Service Bulletins) usually check for this.

...Yet another good reason to have your regular maintenance done at the dealership. I still can't believe when I hear about folks taking their MINIs to a Quick-Lube or other non-MINI service center during the first 50K miles especially.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:22 AM
mudflap
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
according to other threads in this forum, the original mounts had a defect--once they are replaced, they should be much sturdier.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:50 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Where can us consumers find these service bulletins??

Old 07-12-2005, 06:31 AM
Mini2Go
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFlies
Where can us consumers find these service bulletins??
I don't personally know of any way that doesn't involve a breach of dealership/MINI electronic data systems. The bulletins are available to appropriate dealership personnel (generally service personnel, not necessarily sales) via an individual login to a BMW/MINI managed site. This site also includes access to employee information, etc. So, unless someone either gives you their individual login (highly doubtful since it would also expose other more personal information), or you have a good friend willing to print these things out for you, I don't know of any other place they are published. Frankly, they are not meant for the consumer.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:49 AM
Mini2Go
As a matter of fact, even if you have a good friend willing to print them, they would be in violation of the following agreement they must accept each and every time they log in:

ALL USERS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE ONLY AUTHORIZED TO USE THE INFORMATION FOR THE LINE-MAKES FOR WHICH THEY ARE AUTHORIZED DEALERS. FURTHERMORE, BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY UNAUTHORIZED OR IMPROPER USE OF ANY INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE. THE INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE IS NOT TO BE RESOLD, BARTERED, OR TRANSFERRED.
The information is provided as a resource to help technicians diagnose problems and is a repository for common problems/symptoms - but it is not necessarily the "gospel" as each situation can differ, nor is it absolutely comprehensive. These slight differences from one situation to another is one reason why this sometimes general information is not intended for the average consumer. It must be interpreted and applied within a larger scope of knowledge and understanding of the workings of our cars that most of us do not have. Obviously, even with the training they are required to have, some technicians are also better than others.

I don't mean to give a lecture, I'm just trying to ward off at least some of the inevitable gripes, groans, and questions that will follow.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:50 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
As I posted in another thread like this, I have replaced a few of these. Both of them on my car have been replaced. Pass side (ripped) due to track damage (it also bent the metal really nice), the drives side just went flat. But I have also replaced another set that went flat on a cooper, and another set on an S that had a really LARGE rip in the rubber. I now stock them incase locals need to change them out while adding springs or from pothole damage. :smile:

Old 07-12-2005, 06:50 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Once the tower top are mushroomed, how can that be fixed Thankfully, mines ok:smile:

Old 07-12-2005, 06:58 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
From what I have been told, it’s a big hammer. I was able to move mine down somewhat with a block of wood and a large hammer. As long as you replace any broken items and the car gets an alignment then it can live with the mushroomed metal, it just doesn’t look as good. It also might be a bit lower on the one side, but only a very small amount.

Sid, with your Brace in there I think you would have some extra protection from the mushroom. That is one of the reasons I added one to my car. So far it working, but it’s a time will tell kind of test. I have thought about welding in some plates to the top to make it stronger and maybe even making them adjustable. But that might be a winter project and a one off part.:smile:

Old 07-12-2005, 07:06 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Geez...I'd think that once the metal was compromised, bending it back would only make it weaker

What I hate are the damn road buckles that act like speed bumps on the freeways. Ever nailed the brakes hard and watch people freek out behind you Then they get pissed because they can't figure out why you did that

Old 07-12-2005, 07:49 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
I am going into Prestige on Monday to have this looked at. Spoke to the parts manager - Chris Dodin - made sure that they will have a pair of these strut mounts available for me....I also asked him how often this happened as far as he remembered...said that only recalls this happening with people hitting major potholes.

Since my cracks are not that huge, I do not think it is due to me hitting a pothole. Nor do I remember hitting anything MAJOR that would have caused this.

I asked Chris if it was covered under warranty and he said "Yeah, oh yeah, no problem".

Hopefully (knock on wood) everything will be covered under warranty.

Will take some pics when I get home tonight.....

Old 07-12-2005, 08:27 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
strur mounts

when u get ur car back could you post part number used to replace ur faulty part? thnx
I am going into Prestige on Monday to have this looked at. Spoke to the parts manager - Chris Dodin - made sure that they will have a pair of these strut mounts available for me....I also asked him how often this happened as far as he remembered...said that only recalls this happening with people hitting major potholes.

Since my cracks are not that huge, I do not think it is due to me hitting a pothole. Nor do I remember hitting anything MAJOR that would have caused this.

I asked Chris if it was covered under warranty and he said "Yeah, oh yeah, no problem".

Hopefully (knock on wood) everything will be covered under warranty.

Will take some pics when I get home tonight.....

Old 07-12-2005, 09:27 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Chris Dodin looked up my VIN and confirmed that this should be the part number:

31-30-6-769-741

I will double confirm after Monday......

How common is this problem? So far I've search NAM and Mini2 and come up with less than 10 people that this has happened to......Surely it must be more than this!

Old 07-12-2005, 03:46 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
yea, im sure.... i had this happen on my 04' S model its an early built 04' so i wanted 2 confirm that ur' part # u have is what i have on my ticket, cuz u' have 2 keep on top of this sort of stuff or else they sometimes act like they dont know whats going on! (dealer service writers)

but thnx alot

Chris Dodin looked up my VIN and confirmed that this should be the part number:

31-30-6-769-741

I will double confirm after Monday......

How common is this problem? So far I've search NAM and Mini2 and come up with less than 10 people that this has happened to......Surely it must be more than this!

Old 07-12-2005, 05:15 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
My friend who has 38K on his 03 MC also has his passenger side upper strut mount cracked!!!!

Joker, was your replacement/work covered under warranty?

I am hoping that he can schedule his appointment at the same dealer for the same time on Monday....

It should strengthen both our cases for the work to be covered under warranty....And on top of THAT, he's just finished purchasing a loaded MCS from this dealer.

Let us pray.....

Old 07-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
cracked too

I just noticed my pass. side mount was ripped too But I was taking it off to put on a new set of camber plates. It steped up a notch in cornering with the PSS9

Old 07-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Morales
4th Gear
My '03 had the passenger side cracked all the way around. I also had the driver side mushrooming. Eric@Helix took a hammer to it and flattened it out.

My soluiton: Helix camber plates.

Old 07-12-2005, 08:19 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
indeed it was, after much debate!!

i had a strut brace on and they tried 2 blame it on that but after a heart 2 heart w/service manager they took care of it!
So my advice would b' 2 find as many previous incidents & go in there prepared.
but then again u may have better luck than I
since I know they think im some kind of know it all and have been known 2 give them a hard time w/some issues i had that took a while before corrected......so not 2 worry just stand ur ground & know what u speak of.
My friend who has 38K on his 03 MC also has his passenger side upper strut mount cracked!!!!

Joker, was your replacement/work covered under warranty?

I am hoping that he can schedule his appointment at the same dealer for the same time on Monday....

It should strengthen both our cases for the work to be covered under warranty....And on top of THAT, he's just finished purchasing a loaded MCS from this dealer.

Let us pray.....

Old 07-13-2005, 04:33 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
The strut bar would only strengthen the struts, not cause any damage.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I saw pics of my friend's crack (hahahahahahaha) and it looks TERRIBLE. Way worse than mine, the center bearing looks like it's about to pop right out of the rubber bushing.......

Old 07-13-2005, 04:36 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Morales
My '03 had the passenger side cracked all the way around. I also had the driver side mushrooming. Eric@Helix took a hammer to it and flattened it out.

My soluiton: Helix camber plates.
Did you get the RDR camber plates ($499) or the P&D ones ($700/$840)?

Seems like a major upgrade for a part that costs $40 at the dealer.

Also, I saw another thread on here pointing to Ireland Engineering's fixed -1.25 degree camber plates going for $180.......

Here's the thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=45257

And here's the link to Ireland Engineering:

https://secure7.nexternal.com/shared...unt2=327811837

Old 07-13-2005, 07:11 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
crushed

correct... so thats why i refused 2 take no! for an answer.

i think that because strut bar rides up top it could cause it 2' have more of a crushing affect on d' bushing!
since its connecting both sides together so more laod?...maybe......
but 2 me it just doesn't sound right.
plus ur friends bearing totaly crushed mount is a defect in material.
The strut bar would only strengthen the struts, not cause any damage.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I saw pics of my friend's crack (hahahahahahaha) and it looks TERRIBLE. Way worse than mine, the center bearing looks like it's about to pop right out of the rubber bushing.......

Old 07-13-2005, 12:26 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Joker,

Would you be able to provide a copy of the paperwork from the dealer that covered the work under warranty? There are two of us going to the same dealer on Wed for this problem...Much appreciated if you could pm it to me.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Morales
4th Gear
RDR. Major upgrade but it fits with what I want to do going foward with the car.

Did you get the RDR camber plates ($499) or the P&D ones ($700/$840)?

Seems like a major upgrade for a part that costs $40 at the dealer.

Also, I saw another thread on here pointing to Ireland Engineering's fixed -1.25 degree camber plates going for $180.......

Here's the thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=45257

And here's the link to Ireland Engineering:

https://secure7.nexternal.com/shared...unt2=327811837

Old 07-21-2005, 06:32 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
To make a long story short, warranty was denied for both cars. Friend's car because he had quite a bit of mushrooming. Mine because "you have a strut brace and MINI USA is very stringent on aftermarket parts".

They quote me $200 for labor, $75 part

I bought the parts and got it done for $100.

Parts look exactly the same as what I had on my car before except for two numbers on the bottom of the piece ("BMW 04" vs. "BMW 05").

Installed at my friend's place and the only hold up was my friend stripping the allen bolt that connects the lower sway bar to the strut. Managed to used a vice grip and socket wrench to remove/replace the nut. Phew.

But it was a good learning experience...now I can do it with my eyes closed.

Not upset at the denial of warranty. They did nothing nor say anything that PROVED the part caused the rip in my rubber bushing, but it's not worth fighting over. It was a good way to learn how to do it myself....and now I can help others too (granted I get a spring compressor )

Old 07-21-2005, 08:37 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
sorry!!

oh man sorry 2 hear that!!

it was hard to have d' dealer cover mine, but got it done..
just think of it as an upgrade cuz now u' have better bushings!!
i guess d' paper work did not work huh?
and yea i had backed into pile of gravel where i live and there was stones stuck inside tips!! :smile:
To make a long story short, warranty was denied for both cars. Friend's car because he had quite a bit of mushrooming. Mine because "you have a strut brace and MINI USA is very stringent on aftermarket parts".

They quote me $200 for labor, $75 part

I bought the parts and got it done for $100.

Parts look exactly the same as what I had on my car before except for two numbers on the bottom of the piece ("BMW 04" vs. "BMW 05").

Installed at my friend's place and the only hold up was my friend stripping the allen bolt that connects the lower sway bar to the strut. Managed to used a vice grip and socket wrench to remove/replace the nut. Phew.

But it was a good learning experience...now I can do it with my eyes closed.

Not upset at the denial of warranty. They did nothing nor say anything that PROVED the part caused the rip in my rubber bushing, but it's not worth fighting over. It was a good way to learn how to do it myself....and now I can help others too (granted I get a spring compressor )

Old 07-21-2005, 09:55 AM
moreorless
6th Gear
Tower Brace

I like the idea of being nimble and being quick......but I also like the idea of the strut tower brace. I have an early build (pre spec) 02 MCS with 9k miles, no cracks or mushrooms. The one shown in MSFITOY's post looks beefy. What is it's name and where can it be obtained from?
Thanks......Les

Quick Reply: how many cracked upper strut mounts?