Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

What Makes a MINI Click? Broken Selector Shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 11:34 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess that makes sense. But the metal prongs on the back of the pad that hold it in there should be stopping that right? Do you think I should remove that pad and inspect it then reinstall it?

Old 06-23-2005, 02:38 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jwardell
I guess that makes sense. But the metal prongs on the back of the pad that hold it in there should be stopping that right? Do you think I should remove that pad and inspect it then reinstall it?

I'm afraid the pad may not tell you a thing, as the clips may be the real reason, now that you mention it. But heck - it's worth a shot. You have the tool already, right? I'd like to know what my pad's doin for real.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:40 PM
buzzy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
buzzy werent U having a litany of problems with your 05?
Yup. The interior creaks and rattles are pretty much all fixed, though I'm sure they'll come back when the weather drops below 50deg again.

I've got this clicking noise when shifting, it doesn't seem to be totally consistant though. I hear a tapping from the passenger side of the car under heavy acceleration. (probably the harmonic balancer issue) I hear tapping when it's cold which goes away when I press the clutch in. (probably the throwout bearing issue). And the clutch makes a sqeaking noise from under the engine when im pushing the pedal in and out. I've got 10k left to my next service, so i'm waiting until then to find out how normal all these things are. There are a few other things, like the flat spotting of the tires when not used for 8 or more hours and a constant pulsing of the steering wheel at highway speeds, which exists after getting all the wheels roadforce balanced. I'm hoping new wheels/tires will fix it.

Luke

Old 06-24-2005, 06:35 AM
Dave&Stacy
2nd Gear
Well tomorrow is the day...we go to pick Molly up from service. Still haven't heard from our SA as to what they found. We'll get the full scoop and report here as soon as we know.

-Dave & Stacy

Old 06-24-2005, 01:06 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GMINIO
I'm afraid the pad may not tell you a thing, as the clips may be the real reason, now that you mention it. But heck - it's worth a shot. You have the tool already, right? I'd like to know what my pad's doin for real.
Only the rears need the tool. And that's only needed to wind back the caliper to put on new thicker pads.
And then the other thing, the pads are really held in by their sides by the calipers, there should be no movement. I keep thinking more and more it's the driveshaft :(

Old 06-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Dave&Stacy
2nd Gear
Update on Molly...

Picked her up Saturday after Motorwerks replaced the driver's side half-shaft. An hour later...we were back at Motorwerks as the passenger side was clicking. Ian, one of our techs, called us today and is quite puzzled by the situation. He has been having trouble replicating the click on the passenger side. Hopefully they will replace that shaft and we'll be trouble free. However, if they've replaced both now and the click comes back...there is a deeper issue. He did mention something about the dual mass flywheel. But this click doesn't seem like it could be that.

The bottom line is...what could cause half-shafts to go out every 1000 miles. MINIUSA???

-Dave & Stacy

Old 06-28-2005, 10:31 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
Not sure if it is the same problem, but my car is in dealer right now because i hear a fairly loud clunk and click when when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear. No noise in other gears.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:27 AM
GMINIO
5th Gear
the 1st to second clunk is "normal" have never heard of it been treated as a problem by a dealership. The sound you hear is the reverse gate being struck by the shifter on its way to second. that's just the way i've heard it explained umpteen times. Make it happen in any other gear as well, and you've got bedmates here, bedmates in Bedlam that is.

Old 06-28-2005, 04:07 PM
VoiD
6th Gear
Right on.
that is what my dealer said. Normal for Getrag transmissions.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:13 PM
MGear
5th Gear
Well I am glad I came across this thread becasue my Mini makes a slight "chirping" sound upon start up. The sound disappears after the engine is warmed up. The condition only started happening after I had my car JCW's from the dealership.

If anyone has any ideas on what it maybe I would be cuious to hear your feedback. Since the sound goes away after warm up and doesn't seem to be related to drivetrain stuff I can only assume it has to do with the engine. Whatever it is it certainly has not had any negative effects on perfomrance and I have had the JCW now for two years, it was the second install at the dealership.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Dave&Stacy
2nd Gear
Well, Molly is on her way home tomorrow. Sounds like the clicking is all cleared up. Paul (shop foreman), Ian (tech) , and others all drove the car this past week and have not been able to identify any additional clicking. So, she's coming home and we'll see how it goes.

Paul and I had the chance to speak at length today and he genuinly believes the problem is fixed. I trust him (and the rest of the Motorwerks crew) completely and I believe we will be in the clear.

Now for the culprit...

Turns out that when the original half-shaft was replaced, the replacement shaft somehow developed a torn boot. Paul wasn't sure if this was there from the factory or not. But...this likely caused the failure of the second shaft. This coupled with the fact the the sway bar end link had not been properly secured worsened the click.

We're still not sure why we heard the click on the pasenger side, but it has not been repeatable so may not be an issue.

So...at this point it looks like the only course of action for the "just going forward click" is to replace the haflshafts. We'll let everyone know if any new clicks develop in the coming months...but I have a feeling we're in the clear.

-Dave & Stacy

Old 07-03-2005, 09:29 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MGear
Well I am glad I came across this thread becasue my Mini makes a slight "chirping" sound upon start up. The sound disappears after the engine is warmed up. The condition only started happening after I had my car JCW's from the dealership.

If anyone has any ideas on what it maybe I would be cuious to hear your feedback. Since the sound goes away after warm up and doesn't seem to be related to drivetrain stuff I can only assume it has to do with the engine. Whatever it is it certainly has not had any negative effects on perfomrance and I have had the JCW now for two years, it was the second install at the dealership.
Hi Hank! (?) You're in newtown, right?

This noise does not seem like it is in the same family as what we're discussing here. However, please go HERE and listen to what my brand new car sounded like(bottom of first post.). Similar? Started as a warm up thing and became constant within days. A badly installed superscharger pulley was their diagnosis. Best wishes.

(and no effect on performance)

Old 07-03-2005, 09:36 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dave&Stacy
...but I have a feeling we're in the clear.

-Dave & Stacy
I just got back from clicking my way through the hoitytoity hamptons this weekend. Gave MINI a goood name.

But way to go! I hope it takes this time. I'm leanin toward brake pads on this click, but it could be like my last MINI, and yours... Happy clicklessness!!!

Old 07-04-2005, 12:00 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I thought I was the only one with this problem. I did a search on here and ran across this thread. I'm having the same "clicking/popping" sounds on my 05 mcs(non jcw) At first it sounded like the shafts/cv joints but then it did it when I pushed in on the clutch like everyone else. I recorded 2 vid's with my cellphone of it just to show my Mini Dealer in case it doesn't reproduce itself. Here's the vid's. Let me know if it sounds like what everyone else is having. The first one I did in my driveway switching from 1st gear to 2nd then back to 1st and then just letting off the gas all of a sudden which the clicks are very easy to hear. http://minime.textamerica.com/?r=2811016 The second test I did was on the street in my subdivision going about 10-15mph and just letting off the gas real quick. This one you have to listen clostly to hear the clicks or pops, but you can notice them. http://minime.textamerica.com/?r=2811015

Old 07-04-2005, 12:18 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
Deep!

those are some awesome avantguarde filmlets you've made. If you're looking for partrons, I've got a couple of directions to throw you in... :P

You have inspired me to go outside and do the same. (as the click is not as poppy as yours and seemingly not as persistent either). Why shouldn't we have a click-film compendium here on NAM?

Update: My first click-film attempt yielded poor results. Too much highway and construction noise. The DIY Click-Film Handbook will be sure to mention a smooth surface and quiet surrounds. Magnaflow exhausts do n ot help.

Last edited by GMINIO; 07-04-2005 at 01:11 PM. Reason: update and bad type-os.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:10 PM
wildone3c
Originally Posted by GMINIO
thos are some awesome avantguarde filmlets you've made. If your looking for partrons, I've got a couple of directions to throw you in... :P

You have inspired me to go outside and do the same. (as the click is not as poppy as uyours and seemingly not as persistent either). Why shouldn't we have a click-film compendium here on NAM?
HAHAHAHA That sounds like a good idea to have a click-flim comp on here. Yeah I wanted to have something either recorded or on video when I went in b/c everytime something goes wrong and is under warranty, when I bring it to get fixed, it works perfect!!! :smile:

Old 07-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Dave&Stacy
2nd Gear

Let me start off by saying I'm a little pissed at paying over $30K for a car and having more problems with it than I EVER had with any of the past 3 cars I've owned COMBINED (2 Hondas and 1 Toyota)!!! Somedays it makes me wonder if I should have gone with an Subaru WRX STi. MINI and MINIUSA...I hope your listening. I'm not happy at all. I love your cars to death but the persistent problems are really wearing on my last ounce of patience. Luckily my Service Advisor and Service Techs are there to make things better and keep me in a MINI. MINIUSA should really give them a raise for calming me down each time I go in there and reassuring me that everything will be ok.

Bad news...clicking is STILL there on the passenger side. The driver's side is fine (right now) as this is the halfshaft that was replaced.

Unfortunately, the service techs and shop foreman couldn't replicate the clicking on the passenger side. I have to admit the click only happens occasionally, but this is how the driver's side started. I fear this one will continue to get worse until it is so annoying and embarrassing that I have no choice but to take it in and have it fixed.

I managed to hear it at least 5 or 6 times today as I was motoring around. However, we're waiting to take it back in until the click either:

a) Becomes persistent enough that they can diagnose it and fix it.
b) They ask us to bring it in to have it fixed due to a TSB or something.
c) They ask us to bring it in to have it fixed as a "precaution".

This is so freakin' frustrating. I shouldn't have to deal with this crap after paying that much for a car. It's really making me think about whether my next car will be a MINI.

Sorry for ranting...just frustrated.

-Dave & Stacy

Old 07-04-2005, 09:48 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
Dave & Stacy. I wish I had no idea what you mean. After having my $30+ MINI delivered and upgraded horrendously by Prestige MINI of New Jersey, and after having been banned by the same dealership for posting my experience on NEMINI.org, I've wondered what MINIUSA is there for besides marketing the cars they import from overseas, and telling me to go to another dealer when I have problems with one. My satisfaction has been so deteriorated by the dealership visits for this and my last car (12 on that one for a bad sunroof alone), that I find my current dealership getting fives for it's merely better treatment of me and my MINI.

stick with a). how long could it possibly take???

Old 07-05-2005, 05:47 AM
Dave&Stacy
2nd Gear
GMINI:

That sucks to hear about your dealership experiences. We have been INCREDIBLY lucky to have a dealership that treats us very well and completes work in a timely manner. My gripe is NOT with our service or dealership. It's with the overall build quality of the car. Just disappointing that BMW/MINI can't source a halfshaft that works properly.

-Dave & Stacy

Old 07-05-2005, 06:04 AM
GMINIO
5th Gear
I'm sorry to have jumped your rant, DnS. I wish you well in your quest. I understand your frustration. I'm calling to set up a service appointment today.

Old 07-05-2005, 07:45 AM
Dave&Stacy
2nd Gear
Good luck! I hope all goes well. We'll get this nailed someday...just hopefully before the warranty runs out.

-Dave & Stacy

Old 07-05-2005, 07:44 PM
wildone3c
I hope something gets done soon also. I admit that my mini dealer is awsome and they do great work, i've only been in there one time since I got my "almost trouble free" mini and that was for a couple of rattles under the dash. I went to drive off yesterday, after not driving for a couple of days and it sounded like my axle broke off with a lout popping noise. Everything still works fine, but when I have my windows down it sounds like a clunker driving in the city.

Old 07-06-2005, 05:55 AM
Dave&Stacy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wildone3c
Everything still works fine, but when I have my windows down it sounds like a clunker driving in the city.
Exactly our point!!! There is no reason a $30K+ car should sound this way (or any new car for that matter).

-Dave

Old 07-07-2005, 03:09 PM
wildone3c
Well Just got back from the dealer and after about an hour of checking things out the head tech came out and spoke with me and said that this was the 3rd mini in the last 2 weeks to come in with the same problem. After checking the halfshaft/cv joints, clutch, throwout bearing, wheel bearings, and transmission he found all of those to be ok. What they did to correct it was retorque the axle nut and that corrected the problem on the other 2 and he hasn't heard back from the other mini owners yet. So He did the same thing to mine and so far 6 hrs later and a 2 trips to town it is not making the noise anymore. I asked him about the cv half shafts and he said they are built to hold over 300+hp and that would not be the cause of it. If it were anyone else I might not have believed him but he has an awsome record for fixing ppl's cars right the first time and he also built an scca car for a customer that the dealer sponsers, and he also does all the maintainance so He knows what he is talking about. Hopefully that did correct the problem and I won't be hearing anymore clicks from my mini.

Old 07-07-2005, 06:49 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
well thanks relaying your good experience and a very possible fix for what ails us...

i hope yours is a clickless ride for years to come.

Quick Reply: What Makes a MINI Click? Broken Selector Shaft?