Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Is your car stalling upon starting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, mine did it this morning. It started, a little reluctantly, came up to fast idle, stumbled, ran rough, and stalled. Waited a few seconds, re-start, ran fine. No problems this afternoon, started and ran fine.

Going to the dealer tomorrow PM, will get it checked out. Will be prepared for their lies.

Edit 10Jun05: I should point out that I had recently, one month previously, had the "emissions" update to the ECU. Neither the SA nor SM could tell me which version of software was used. One thought it was v38 the other thought it was v4? This was the first update to the ECU that had been preformed on my baby, born 8-02. She had been comfortably and reliably running on v32.

Since the "update" I have had several problems develop, including cold start stalling.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:36 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run 91 oct Shell V-Power in my 05 MCS and it sputters a tad after start up (sometimes I'm gone a week at a time and it always starts the first crank) but I just tap the gas and all's well. It's also happens more now than in colder weather. It's gotta be a combo of the seasonal gas blends and the Siemens unit. Otherwise my car is mechanically perfect after 6K. :smile: J

Old 06-08-2005, 06:39 AM
blalor
6th Gear
<aol>me too</aol>

Might as well throw my hat in the ring, too. Mid-April build '05. I first noticed the near-stall in the mornings on Monday. Yesterday, at 1290 miles, something went kablooie, leaving me without power until I restarted the engine. It's at the dealer, now. :-(

I'll be updating my progress here (NAM) and here (my site).

Old 06-08-2005, 09:23 AM
stylin99
3rd Gear
Here's a question I haven't seen asked yet...

Was this happening last summer to the 02-04 Mini's as well? Or is it only happening this year and our short memories have faded beyond remembering it....?

Old 06-08-2005, 11:33 AM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
no, my 02 was fine last year. Could it be the emissions recall 'fixed' my car?

Old 06-08-2005, 11:58 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
My 2003 Cooper was doing it prior to the recall fix. It did it all last year. It did not do it for a couple months when it was new. It is odd. Everytime they update my ECU, it cures it for several weeks. But it always returns again... I also had very bad engine lag while running the A/C. Again, ECU update cured that for several weeks last year (July), but it seems to be returning.

Old 06-08-2005, 05:44 PM
sequence
6th Gear
re how long has this problem been around

search "cold start problem" here or M2 and see if U get any hitz...

Old 06-09-2005, 04:44 AM
C4
Banned
My idle stayed solid in stable after I first started my '05 MCS yesterday morning (With the A/C on). So far so good.

The day before I had just filled up the car with Citgo 93 Gasoline. Also yesterday was a pretty hot and humid day (92F-95% humidity).

We'll see this morning...

Old 06-09-2005, 05:39 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
2 issues here, which a couple of posters have repeatedly tried to reconfirm- one, that the thread was to concern "stumble," not starting problems, and two, that there are concerns about the misunderstanding of "minimum" and "recommended" (I would read as "mandatory") octane levels for gas. That being said, I was never able to resolve this problem, very severe, with my '03, despite 93 (never below) octane gas. Gas aside, this is a software issue, which BMW has had long enough to resolve. I've done pretty well with my '05 and am happy with it. If gas is interpreted to be a significant factor, (again-- for me, only 93 and never an "off brand"), then BMW should issue some aggressively worded guidance. To own a British car, (I won't bore anyone on that issue!), I would endure quite a bit, labeled as "quirks." But I think when it broaches becoming a safety issue, which it can in urban/suburban environment, that's a real problem-- and I could no longer tolerate that with my '03. I love this car, and am thankful that my '05 is not suffering from it, so far. Question is- why can't this just be resolved, once and for all??? Good luck to everyone...

Old 06-09-2005, 06:28 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by stylin99
Here's a question I haven't seen asked yet...

Was this happening last summer to the 02-04 Mini's as well? Or is it only happening this year and our short memories have faded beyond remembering it....?
I’ve had my MCS almost 3 years now. August 02 build and have never had one problem with it. No yo-yo, no stumble, no anything. I have posted many times over the last 3 years that I have one of the most reliable MINI’s that has ever been built. I even have stone chips in my windshield the size of a nickel and the windshield won’t break. Other than on road trips about 3 times a year, I buy my 93 octane gas at the same station every week. In the history of owning my MCS I have never had a stalling problem. Other than the oil being changed, I’ve never had one thing changed or go wrong with my MINI

A little over a month ago I had my 02 MCS in to the dealer for the emissions recall update. Until then I had the original v32 programmed in to the car. I had never upgraded once. The philosophy, if it’s not broke, don’t fix it.

The dealer installed the newest update at the time, v40 I believe it was and my MCS has had nothing but stalling problems since.

Now it’s very hard to start in the morning, I can’t even pull out of my flat driveway without stalling and it’s getting worse daily. I’ll sit at a stop light and hear the engine sputter, choke and even die now and then. It runs and idles rough. Pickup off the line is terrible. None of this has ever happened – ever to my MCS with v32.

It has nothing to do with the gas a certain time of the year, the outside temperature or wet/cold/hot conditions. It is the ECU program alone and my indestructible MCS has been ruined because of it.

I’m not a happy camper.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:55 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sndwave
The dealer installed the newest update at the time, v40 I believe it was and my MCS has had nothing but stalling problems since.

It has nothing to do with the gas a certain time of the year, the outside temperature or wet/cold/hot conditions. It is the ECU program alone and my indestructible MCS has been ruined because of it.
Thank you Sndwave, for bringing this back on topic, and for clarifying the issue as one concerning the ECU program alone. This is the point other posters have been making. And as I have mentioned earlier, BMW has had several years to work on this issue, and I can't understand why it has not yet been resolved.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:52 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
I've had my '05 MCS since May 31st. It starts the first time, everytime, with no rough idle that I can discern... However, sometimes - not always - upon starting out in either first or even trying to accelerate out of second gear there will be some hesitation - scary amounts of hesitation - but then once I get going she screams...

I first thought it to be my clutching abilities but I now know it to likely be this ECU issue. I sort of avoid the hesitation now by giving a bit more gas and letting out on the clutch a little more slowly (almost to the point of squealing the tires).

I think this may be more attributed to a "cold" engine than one at temperature... who knows... Anyway I still ABOSLUTELY LOVE MY MCS!!!

HBB w/ black bonnet stripes
sunroof
6 spd
17" s-lites
black n blue leather seats
auto ac
rear fog
chromed and body color dash w/ big speedo in the middle
AUX for XM
center armrest
big smiles

Old 06-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Samtrak
4th Gear
my car stalled!!!!

argh! squish!!!!

Old 06-10-2005, 02:52 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by DaveTinNY
I've had my '05 MCS since May 31st. It starts the first time, everytime, with no rough idle that I can discern... However, sometimes - not always - upon starting out in either first or even trying to accelerate out of second gear there will be some hesitation - scary amounts of hesitation - but then once I get going she screams...
Turn your DSC off and see if it still hesitates. This sounds like classic DCS kicking in.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:19 AM
onasled
Banned
Just thought I'd mention that I'm having this same problem now. Car always started up vigorously, quickly and without a hitch, but since around early May it now stalls after the first morning start. Second start is perfect.

I use 93 all the time and have recently been using 100 at the track. This does not make it any better. This is all too weird.

Don't like it as to me if my car is suffering this problem then it may not be running at 100% when I push it on the track.

Wonder if this will all just go away or if in fact there will be a fix. I'm not crazy about being reflashed by the dealer...

Old 06-10-2005, 04:24 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SNDWAVE... sorry your car sucks now.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:26 AM
MINISPIDER
4th Gear
i took my car a '04 JCW equipped car to ft lauderdale Mini, last saturday to fix a leak they left when I went in for my first oil change a month earlier, and the fu...rs upgraded my software and now my car stalls at starting, like when it seats for long time and sometimes when just moving a few feet. I totally forgot to tell them not to flash the ecu and they went ahead and did....I never had any of the problems you guys have, and now i'm screwed..........

Old 06-10-2005, 07:09 AM
jreaney
2nd Gear
Me too

Brand new - Picked up June 4, 2005 MCS.

Have 3 problems with car:

1. Rough Idle at start - Have 250 miles on car and last 3 mornings after parking overnight for 13 hrs in the garage. Start car, idle is rough, it stumbles and then picks up the RPM and goes on fine.

2. Weird stumble/hesitation in Second gear - The YOYO I guess.

3. Grey door panels cracking inside the car - saw this within 3 hrs of pick up. They will replace when they put the roof rack on Monday morning.

Old 06-10-2005, 07:15 AM
jreaney
2nd Gear
Me too

I am having this problem too now.

Brand new MCS picked up on June 4, 2005.

Last 3 days after being parked in the garage overnight, at start it idles rough. Stumbles, recovers and then ups the idle and seems ok.

Sometimes feel weird in second gear as well - like it is slipping-then grabbing- or power surging or something.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:56 PM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
thanks, I'll try turning off the DSC... prolly a stupid question: can DSC be turned on again at any speed?

Old 06-11-2005, 04:19 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, you can turn it on and off at a any speed.

Old 06-11-2005, 05:07 PM
zfxr
5th Gear
yup, count me in the list. I got v40 (from v38), which improved highway econ a bit. Smoothed the yo/yo out a tad mode (nearly imperceptable). Tho my idle with the A/C on is lumpy when it's really hot. Almost like I'm going to stall Running around 950RPM...

Old 06-13-2005, 03:40 AM
mdavis
2nd Gear
This is a VERY SERIOUS issue to me....

I have a 2004 MCS.

I have 3 problems:
1. A rough idle
2. The stall on start
3. The VERY SERIOUS hesitation about 30 seconds following cold-start. I stop at a major street and the car is downright dangerous to drive. You floor it in 1st and it just sits there for 1-2 seconds, then takes off like a bat out of hell. Not predictable. UNSAFE.

I'm very concerned about this.

Yes, I've recently rec'd the emmissions update as well.

Has anyone contacted AutoWeek? C&D? Etc? Perhaps a bit of publicity will get BMW to take these issues seriously and release a S/W fix. The first two issues are just downright annoying, but the 3rd is a safety problem to me.

I've had the stall on start problem SINCE I BOUGHT THE CAR. The hesitation and rough idle appear to be a result of the latest S/W update.

These problems really make me want to sell the car.

-Mark, Portland, OR

Old 06-13-2005, 06:05 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
sndwave, thanks. You just said what I was going to say. I have an August 02 MCS also and it was always great, now after the "upgrade" it has been more problems than ever before. When I asked the SM which version of software was installed he could not or would not tell me. Whatever it was I want my v32 back!!!!!!!!

Besides the cold start problem I now have a problem with acceleration from a standstill. I push down on the accelerator pedal and .... like nothing happens .. not a linear response. The cars starts to move very slowly, feed more gas, nothing .... back off on the pedal and then it will take off. Very annoying and very dangerous when trying to merge with moving traffic.

Originally Posted by sndwave
I’ve had my MCS almost 3 years now. August 02 build and have never had one problem with it. No yo-yo, no stumble, no anything. I have posted many times over the last 3 years that I have one of the most reliable MINI’s that has ever been built. I even have stone chips in my windshield the size of a nickel and the windshield won’t break. Other than on road trips about 3 times a year, I buy my 93 octane gas at the same station every week. In the history of owning my MCS I have never had a stalling problem. Other than the oil being changed, I’ve never had one thing changed or go wrong with my MINI

A little over a month ago I had my 02 MCS in to the dealer for the emissions recall update. Until then I had the original v32 programmed in to the car. I had never upgraded once. The philosophy, if it’s not broke, don’t fix it.

Now it’s very hard to start in the morning, I can’t even pull out of my flat driveway without stalling and it’s getting worse daily. I’ll sit at a stop light and hear the engine sputter, choke and even die now and then. It runs and idles rough. Pickup off the line is terrible. None of this has ever happened – ever to my MCS with v32.

I’m not a happy camper.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:21 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Possible Workaround?

Recently, before starting the car, I have done the following:

1) Turn key to ON position for 10 seconds but don't try to start the car
2) Turn key to OFF position
3) Turn key to ON position and start the car

Since the problems only seem to manifest themselves in the morning on the first start of the day, it'll take some time to find out if this really works. But, the past 3 starts have been smooth and successful when done in this manner.

Quick Reply: Is your car stalling upon starting?