North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Is your car stalling upon starting? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/44204-is-your-car-stalling-upon-starting.html)

Pat_Cooper 05-31-2005 09:44 AM

Is your car stalling upon starting?

This has become like a MINI flu. Alot of people on NEMINI.org have been complaining about this and well..there hasn't been one dealer yet to fix this issue. The problem mainly occurs after the car has been sitting for a long time and when you go to start it, it starts to choke up and stall. If you are having this issue please post about it. I'd like to take this thread and forward it to MINIUSA directly.

I originally thought it was just the 2005 models but my friend with a 2003 is now having the same issue aswell.

Also, can a moderator please sticky this if possible. Thank you!

jaxkewl 05-31-2005 09:55 AM

Yup, I have this same problem. There previous posts about this already. search for
engine stumble or cold start

Stinger 05-31-2005 09:55 AM

This has been covered on several other threads. Its a function of the reformulated summertime gas we are all getting at the pump.

C4 05-31-2005 11:33 AM

Gas + ECU software "bug". Unfortunately, no fix at this time.

dansmini 05-31-2005 11:37 AM

Yep, my 2003 Cooper does this basically year round. Upon starting, it will idle ok and even go a short distance before the bogging down happens. For example, where I work there is a stop sign at the end of the row I park in. The car will start up fine, run fine to the stop sign, but when I stop, it will try to stall (and actually has 2 or 3 times). I have to blip the throttle. Then that solves it and it runs fine the rest of the time. On my routine service and on a recall service they tried upgrading the ECU software, and that actually fixed it each time for a few weeks, but then it would return.

1lesssuv 05-31-2005 11:37 AM

I have a july 02 build "S" that I bought August 02. It has 25,000 miles and the problem did not crop up until after the car went in for its first full service in December 03. Doesn't happen everytime but it is unfortunate that the software "upgrade" seems to be a "downgrade" in the day to day driving world.

C4 05-31-2005 11:42 AM

The last software update (I believe either version 39 or 40) had some EPA mandated "Fixes" for emissions but unfortunately MINIUSA screwed up something in the programming code and now everyone is having this problem, regardless of model/year. Different formulations for summer/winter gas seem to confuse the computer at startup, hence causing the drop in RPM idle or near stall complaints.

MINIUSA, are you looking into these complaints?

geowit 05-31-2005 11:44 AM

Yup. My 04 has it also. First thing in the morning and after sitting 8 hours at work. Start up and it generally stalls out and the restart is fine.

Geo.

COOP3R 05-31-2005 11:44 AM

I have a Jan 02 build Cooper S that is doing the same thing. After sitting awhile it starts fine but as soon as you let out on the clutch and give it a bit of gas it sputters and tries to stall. Didn't seem to do it before I took it to the dealer for the latest ECU flash:sly: . Also running the Alta CAI and 15% reduction pulley.

minitothemax 05-31-2005 11:45 AM

I have a 2003 MCS and this only happened to me after the recall ECU reflash v.39. Version 36 fixed my stumble and all was fine until the recall. Now I have my stumble back and the cold start problem which I never had originally.:mad: -Dan

kaelaria 05-31-2005 11:57 AM

I had posted that my MTH flash cured this for me - HOWEVER it just did it to me yesterday! The difference is - I had the AC on this time! When I have the AC off, it doesn't do it. But it actually stalled on me - TWICE yesterday during the first cold start. After the first time I let the fuel pump prime - no effect. It stalled again. The third time, I revved it up a few times and it idled normally. This was at the end of a tank of fuel, so nothing changed there. I had driven several days on this tank without problem. Bu the AC clutch loaded it down enough that it actually stalled - twice.

The Short Bus 05-31-2005 12:17 PM

I'm glad someone posted. My mini was a courtesy car... I had the same problem at work.. from my parking space to the stop sign, fine. From the stop sign? RPM's dropped and i was scared it would stall, so i touched the gas once and let off and it was fine.

I took it into the dealership and they said they took it around, and it happened to them... they said they have to "upgrade the computer" to fix the problem, but i supposedly was up to date (it's a 10/03 build o4 that i bought in 3/05) and i'm still having this problem every couple days. Doesn't happen in the mornings, just in the evenings leaving work.

It's more annoying than anything. When i leave work, it looks like i can't drive manual :P

Edge 05-31-2005 02:06 PM

I haven't experienced this yet, but a suggestion for all of you who have this problem frequently (kaelaria's post is what made me decide to comment):

Every time I go to turn off my car, I ensure that all possible electrical systems are turned off. I turn off the radio, I turn off the air, and of course the wipers and lights (like most people). I have always firmly believed it's better for the engine to have absolutely minimal running accessories when starting up, since that is the time the engine requires the most draw from the battery, to turn the engine over. I have done this on every car I drive.

Just an idea, it might not help, but as kaelaria mentioned, starting with the A/C on did seem to make things worse.

pmello 05-31-2005 03:11 PM

Try resetting ECU.

I was having starting issues the past 3 weeks. I reset the ECU via using the software method (ignition / milage-clock reset button). Search for ECU reset. It seemed to work this morning, but I can't tell for sure as it finally warmed up to 60deg's today!!!

Thameth 05-31-2005 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by pmello
I was having starting issues the past 3 weeks. I reset the ECU via using the software method (ignition / milage-clock reset button). Search for ECU reset. It seemed to work this morning, but I can't tell for sure as it finally warmed up to 60deg's today!!!

My 3 week old 05' MCS just started doing this at around 550-600 miles. I've tried a different brand gas just in case but yet no change. The car at start up after sitting for more than 2 hours will start to drop idle and almost stall, but i haven't had it full stall yet.

Ironically my 2002 SVT Focus used to do the same thing...... :confused:

OmToast 05-31-2005 04:52 PM

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...!!!!!

Nobody tell MINIUSA! :mad:

The last time they tried to fix a cold start problem then GAVE us a stumble.

Just start the car twice, smile and accept it -- trust me!

Tarzan 05-31-2005 05:08 PM

Stumbling

Both my 05 MCS and my co-workers 05 MCS have the stumble first thing in the morning. Mine has never died, but it stumbles, recovers, and is fine from that point on.

I have an appointment at the dealership to leave it overnight so their tech can experience it in the morning.

I too thought it might be the initial strain of the a/c kicking in (although it doesn't affect the car during restarts throughout the day) so I experimented by shutting the a/c off the night before. Sure enough, the following morning I STILL had the stumble.

Both our cars have the JCW packages, and from what I am told, the JCW ecu upgrades are on a different version number sequence. Doesn't matter--I still get the stumble.

I'll post to let you know what Hendrick MINI suggests after they check over my car...

MINIclo 05-31-2005 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pat_Cooper

Also, can a moderator please sticky this if possible. Thank you!

Done!

Clover :cool:

OmToast 05-31-2005 05:45 PM

I feel like the little kid in horror movies -- the one that nobody listens to, as they warn people of lurking evil dead things. I'm jumping up and down telling you that cold start is nothing -- really. Annoying -- but not a problem.

Need to start car twice in the morning = cold start
Horrific bucking engaging first gear as a result of "fix" for cold start = stumble.

It will not do this forever -- only during some seasons/gas formulations/weather.

OKMini 05-31-2005 06:42 PM

Count my '02 MC in with the same issue. Last time at the dealer they said they could find nothing wrong and had no advice other than put up with it!

After sitting all day at work, car will start and will bog down by the time I reach the gate (50 yds). It will attempt to stall, if I hit the throttle and give it a moment before going on it will be fine from then on...

Does it in the morning as well, pulling out of the driveway. Hesitates, bogs down, tries to stall and then no more issues!

Pat_Cooper 05-31-2005 07:09 PM

I'm going to let this thread run for a week before I forward it to MINIUSA. Thanks for the replies!

NealW 05-31-2005 07:21 PM

My ’05 MCS has this problem. It started when we first started having 40 and 50 deg. F. mornings. My first thought was that it was temperature related, but I now suspect gasoline formulation.

kaelaria 05-31-2005 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by pmello

Nope. I did that a few weeks ago when I did the last MTH.

kaelaria 05-31-2005 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Edge
I have always firmly believed it's better for the engine to have absolutely minimal running accessories when starting up, since that is the time the engine requires the most draw from the battery, to turn the engine over. I have done this on every car I drive.

Just an idea, it might not help, but as kaelaria mentioned, starting with the A/C on did seem to make things worse.

That may be true on older cars, but modern cars turn off major amp draws during the start cycle - i.e. the headlights turn off while cranking.

The A/C makes a difference because it makes a physical draw on the engine - the compressor clutch drags it down.

kaelaria 05-31-2005 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pat_Cooper
I'm going to let this thread run for a week before I forward it to MINIUSA. Thanks for the replies!

MINIUSA has been aware of this problem for quite some time. There are identical threads long running on the MINIUSA board.