Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Poor Sick Mini (RIP?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 07:38 PM
bigbud
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it fought bravely but looks like my Mini is headed for the big parking lot in the sky.
Seems it got a fatal dose of low viscosity transmission fluid at the factory and it never recovered (see CVT recall postings).
The car was adopted just before Halloween and has since spent more time at the dealer's shop than on the road. After two repair attempts & three returns to the shop, my service advisor, Hooman of Mini of Manhattan has filed a complaint against the car with Mini Cooper of North America. Since the dealer and I now seem to be on the same side of the issue, I expect that within a week or so they'll offer me a replacement.
Meanwhile, I've been driving rental car on their dime.

Old 12-21-2002, 07:56 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
sorry to hear about your MINI woes. Keep us posted on how MINIUSA handles this. Hopefully, they will get this sorted to your satisfaction soon. Good luck.

Dave

Old 12-21-2002, 07:58 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
:smile:

Cheers!
Clover

Old 12-22-2002, 01:44 AM
C4
Banned
Indeed, the addition of the wrong low viscosity oil into your CVT transmission did its part to completely ruin it.

I am confident that MINIUSA will replace your car at no additional charge to you. Are you going to stick with the CVT? I sure hope so. Are you going for the same color and options?

Good luck. I have 3K troublefree miles in my early August 2002 build Cooper CVT. I am sure your replacement will be a very enjoyable car.

Hang in there!

Cheers!

Old 12-22-2002, 03:36 AM
Cooperman
3rd Gear
I hate it that you've had such trouble. What color is your car? Was there any discussion about replacing the tranny?
Jim

Old 12-22-2002, 04:00 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
bigbud - I'm sorry to hear about your MINI. We all want to know how MINI USA treats you with your crisis.

Old 12-23-2002, 10:01 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
I don't understand....why would they replace your car if the tranny is bad? That's like saying you need a new house because the kitchen stove stopped working. Did the tranny in turn kill the engine, which in turn caught on fire, which in turn burnt the car? I just don't get it.

Not to knock your troubles, not at all. Just trying to understand why a whole new car is needed for a single, replacable item. Poor baby (MINI that is)! Don't throw her away!!!!!!! It's not like SHE put the wrong stuff in her tranny. Don't punish her!!!

R

Old 12-23-2002, 11:09 AM
C4
Banned
>>I don't understand....why would they replace your car if the tranny is bad? That's like saying you need a new house because the kitchen stove stopped working. Did the tranny in turn kill the engine, which in turn caught on fire, which in turn burnt the car? I just don't get it.
>>
>>Not to knock your troubles, not at all. Just trying to understand why a whole new car is needed for a single, replacable item. Poor baby (MINI that is)! Don't throw her away!!!!!!! It's not like SHE put the wrong stuff in her tranny. Don't punish her!!!
>>
>>R

Because he paid top $$ for a brand new car that supposedely does not need a new transmission replacement days after driving it off the showroom.

If he wanted it a car with a major component replaced, then he would have been better of pocketing his $20K+ that he paid for his new MINI and bought an used car instead.

People need to stick to their guns. He bought a new car with a new transmission, not a "New" car with an almost new (Rebuilt perhaps) transmission.

If I were in his situation I would demand a new car or a refund, is that simple.

BTW, been there done that before.

Old 12-23-2002, 11:22 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Ya, well I've been there too. My '01 Miata had a bum tranny. Most of it had to be replaced. That doesn't detract from anything since the problem was not abuse related. I'm just trying to understand why a bad tranny would warrant a new CAR. Personally, I haven't the foggiest clue why a new car would be in order for a bad tranny. Heck, I've seen engines replaced under warranty, let alone the tranny. Just seems like a HUGE stink to make, only to wait, again, for a replacement car. Far easier on everyone involved to just replace the tranny, no? Is it such a freak out factor to have a new tranny in your almost new car? I doubt it.

Again, NOT trying to detract from the pain of the situation...just trying to understand, as right now it sounds like the baby is thrown out with the bathwater.

R

Old 12-23-2002, 12:02 PM
8ball
6th Gear
>>..... Far easier on everyone involved to just replace the tranny, no? Is it such a freak out factor to have a new tranny in your almost new car? I doubt it.
>>
We live in a through-away society, R. Unfortunate as it seems to you and me, things are designed to be replaced, not rebuilt. I still have BMC wiper motor brushes in my tool box from the days when you could unscrew a cover and replace those sort of things - now wiper motors, and everything else, are sealed units; it's easier and requires less skill to just strip something out and pop a new one in.
There are probably several reasons MINI agreed to replace the whole car, including Good Public Relations - there are problems with a significant number of CVT's - and letting a few owners get a Fresh Start makes them appear to be the Good Guys. Not opt-ing to repair or replace only the Tranny does, however send another message that most of us are trying to dissuade - that this car is a cheap POS and is as dispossable as a Kia or Yugo. Maybe MINI is trying to just get rid of one lemon before all of their cars are branded as such ...
If it was my car, I'd have it fixxed because I know it's no big deal to do so - and there is no shame in admitting it needed it. Some people (maybe less mechanically inclined), look at the vehical as a whole unit ( as opposed to a collection of units) and are convinced that if one thing goes astray, the entire thing is gone - and the only road to Peace Of Mind is to throw it away and get another one.
BIGBUD - what ever the problem with the car, I'm really glad to hear that your Dealer is on your side ... best of luck!

Old 12-23-2002, 12:10 PM
C4
Banned
>>>>..... Far easier on everyone involved to just replace the tranny, no? Is it such a freak out factor to have a new tranny in your almost new car? I doubt it.
>>>>
>>We live in a through-away society, R. Unfortunate as it seems to you and me, things are designed to be replaced, not rebuilt. I still have BMC wiper motor brushes in my tool box from the days when you could unscrew a cover and replace those sort of things - now wiper motors, and everything else, are sealed units; it's easier and requires less skill to just strip something out and pop a new one in.
>>There are probably several reasons MINI agreed to replace the whole car, including Good Public Relations - there are problems with a significant number of CVT's - and letting a few owners get a Fresh Start makes them appear to be the Good Guys. Not opt-ing to repair or replace only the Tranny does, however send another message that most of us are trying to dissuade - that this car is a cheap POS and is as dispossable as a Kia or Yugo. Maybe MINI is trying to just get rid of one lemon before all of their cars are branded as such ...
>>If it was my car, I'd have it fixxed because I know it's no big deal to do so - and there is no shame in admitting it needed it. Some people (maybe less mechanically inclined), look at the vehical as a whole unit ( as opposed to a collection of units) and are convinced that if one thing goes astray, the entire thing is gone - and the only road to Peace Of Mind is to throw it away and get another one.
>>BIGBUD - what ever the problem with the car, I'm really glad to hear that your Dealer is on your side ... best of luck!

Is it acceptable to you, then to have a 7 day old car have its tranny go south?

To each his or her own, I personally paid for a new car, not an used piece of junk.

Old 12-23-2002, 12:17 PM
8ball
6th Gear
Nope - Not acceptable - but that is why we have a Warrenty.
Name any manufacturing company on the planet and even the best are going to have the occasional fluke pass through their assembly line; if they stand behind their products and value their reputation, they'll fix it - but replacing the entire thing isn't always necessary.

Old 12-23-2002, 12:57 PM
2minis
6th Gear
They may want to bring the car to Germany to
conduct tests and strange experiments on it.
They had someone come in and look at that
car as I recall.

Old 12-23-2002, 12:59 PM
8ball
6th Gear
... or does it go to Argentina for those tests ??

Old 12-23-2002, 09:26 PM
bigbud
2nd Gear
For those inquiring: the Mini is/was pure silver w/black top. Had sports & premium & cold weather packages. Was so cute I could hardly keep my eyes off it.
Throw-away society or not: I was robbed of the joy of the New Car Experience. I paid a bunch of $$ for a brand new car that works. But I never got one. Even if it can be fixed, I will still never have gotten what I bargained for: a NEW car that works. Also, during the critical break-in period, the car was driven HUNDREDS of "road test" miles by mechanics. Were they lovingly breaking the car in? Who knows?
Furthermore, the NY State Lemon Law says that you are entitled to a replacement after 3 failed trys to fix a problem or 30 days in the shop. There have been only two failed attempts so far but the car been in the shop over 5 weeks now.
I think Mini of Manhattan did their best to fix the car; a new tranny probably would make the car run right but THIS Mini is now filled with bad memories. The smell of the leather seats, so delightful on day one, was making me gag on the 3rd trip back to the dealer's. Maybe Mini Inc wants to tear the engine apart to learn more from their mistake. Someone (Mini of Manhattan or Mini of N.A.) is paying $50 per day for my rental so I can't be TOO unhappy, although I'd much rather be driving a Mini.
I truly appreciate all the comments, suggestions and expressions of sympathy received in this forum. I don't expect much to happen until after the Holidays; I'll post new info soon as I get it. BB

Old 12-23-2002, 10:20 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Glad to hear it's being taken care of. I can understand emotional loss as a reason to not want the car. Hopefully she will be examined, tested, and then fixed to be sold to a happy new owner somewhere.

R