Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Some questions about replacing control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 07:20 PM
makeitmini
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some questions about replacing control arm bushings

The time has come to replace the front control arm bushings on my R55 and I have a couple questions: First, while I have much of the front suspension disassembled to do this, what else should I be looking to replace at the same time? Stabilizer bar bushings? Anything else?

Also, I haven't been able to find this anywhere, are the bushings the same between JCW, S, and non-S on these cars? I have a JCW but I can't find anything listed specifically for that model, so I'm assuming they're the same but don't want to order them without knowing for sure.

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2020, 11:01 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
The good thing with the Gen 2 cars the only bushings in the front end are the control arm bushings and front sway bar bushings.
For the control arms I would only recommend the powerflex as you will never have to replace them again, and they are actually easier to install than the stock ones. Plus on sale right now.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...7-r58-r59.html

Then I would also do the front way bar bushings. You will need to verify what size front sway bar you have as they are different depending upon options.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...7-r58-r59.html

And if you haven't done it already go ahead and do the engine mount insert as it is a great mod that reduces the engine rock which will improve shifting, and the feel of the car on accel and decel.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...unt-large.html

Otherwise you should need any other stuff replaced in the front end unless you find something actually failed.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-11-2020, 11:09 AM
makeitmini
1st Gear
Thanks for the info!

I have a JCW with sport suspension option so I think that’s the 24mm bushing for the stabilizer bar?

ive seen a lot of places recommend replacing the entire bracket with the bushing, is that necessary if you switch to the power flex bushings? Are they any stiffer/harder than the stock ones? Since I got the car I’ve moved to an area with worse roads, having something feel stiffer than the JCW sport suspension as stock sounds like something I don’t want...

Old 05-11-2020, 05:50 PM
thebmwnut
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I had a bad inner ball joint , the one that's in the control arm. So I decided to do everything that is connected to it. Control arms, outer ball joint , rear bushings and sway bar bushings. Probably should have done the tie rod but figured if/when they go bad it's an easy swap. If your springs are not the red JCW chances are you dont have a 24mm front bar. But you should measure it to make sure what it is.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by makeitmini
Thanks for the info!

I have a JCW with sport suspension option so I think that’s the 24mm bushing for the stabilizer bar?

ive seen a lot of places recommend replacing the entire bracket with the bushing, is that necessary if you switch to the power flex bushings? Are they any stiffer/harder than the stock ones? Since I got the car I’ve moved to an area with worse roads, having something feel stiffer than the JCW sport suspension as stock sounds like something I don’t want...
The only way to be sure on sway bar size is to measure it or run the vin as it could be 23.5mm

We offer the bushings pressed into brackets to make the swap easier as you don't have to press out the old ones and does make the job easier.
You won't notice any decrease in the ride with the powerflex, as you'll actually notice it improve and feel new again. I put the powerflex in every car we work on no matter if you a boy racer, or little old lady and no one in the last 16yrs has complained about the ride from them.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
zrickety (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 05:55 AM
makeitmini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thebmwnut
If your springs are not the red JCW chances are you dont have a 24mm front bar. But you should measure it to make sure what it is.
The springs are black, but they have red painted markings on them is that what you meant?

Old 05-12-2020, 06:03 AM
makeitmini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
The only way to be sure on sway bar size is to measure it or run the vin as it could be 23.5mm

We offer the bushings pressed into brackets to make the swap easier as you don't have to press out the old ones and does make the job easier.
You won't notice any decrease in the ride with the powerflex, as you'll actually notice it improve and feel new again. I put the powerflex in every car we work on no matter if you a boy racer, or little old lady and no one in the last 16yrs has complained about the ride from them.
I measured with a digital caliper and it came back as nominally over 24mm... something like 24.2mm. My car is a factory JCW and is listed as having the "sport suspension" (S226) package.

Thanks for your input, I just placed an order with you for some powerflex goodies!

WayMotorWorks (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 06:47 AM
thebmwnut
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by makeitmini
The springs are black, but they have red painted markings on them is that what you meant?

did not realize your car was a factory JCW. Not familiar with what sway bars came with those in their basic form. Could be they came with the larger bars. I have read that that it was an option for the JCW springs or they just came with the S sport option springs. The rest of the 2nd generation cars had multiple options with springs and bars. You had standard, sport and JCW. The JCW options you could get, just the bars and it came with JCW shocks or you could add the springs (red) but you could not just buy the springs by themselves when ordering the car.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:50 AM
makeitmini
1st Gear
Thanks everyone who chimed in. I figured I'd post here for posterity in case someone searches for the same questions.

I ordered the PowerFlex bushings for both the stabilizer bar and control arms and they went in easily and work like a charm. I say "went in easily", that doesn't include the two full days of work it took me to get the subframe lowered from the car to install them. My car, as mentioned above, is a factory JCW (September 2009 production date) with the "sport suspension" (package S226 based on VIN lookup) and required the 24mm stabilizer bar bushings.

After the install there is no more wobble from the front wheels when kicking the tires, on-center steering response is a sharper, changing directions during hard cornering is much smoother, and the car feels a lot more confident when hitting bumps especially while cornering. I opted for the "street" version of the control arm bushings pre-installed into brackets from Way Motor Works since the last thing I wanted was a harsher ride; ride comfort is not a night-and-day difference but the ride is slightly softer even while the handling is improved. Since I don't have a press for removing the old brackets/bushings, it took myself and a friend both using crowbars on either side of the same bracket to force the old ones off, about 20 minutes per side of leveraging. The new ones slid into place with moderate effort from one person. Overall I'm very satisfied and hope that I don't have to do this job again anytime soon

Also want to thank WMW for great customer service; I ordered some other parts from them at the same time and they were very proactive in notifying me that some weren't the right fit based on the fitment of others.

WayMotorWorks (06-12-2020)
Old 07-25-2022, 06:31 PM
tenutso
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moved to correct thread.

Last edited by tenutso; 07-25-2022 at 06:44 PM. Reason: wrong thread