Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Door lock module?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 10:17 PM
Chey Horton
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Door lock module?

With my 2002 MCS the driver side door can be opened from the outside. But not in the car. The passenger side works fine. If you close the door to one click. Where it's not fully closed I can pull the handle and open the door but not if it's fully closed. To me I think it could be a stretched cable but I'm not sure because the switch for locking and unlocking the doors in the car doesn't work. It clicks and sounds like it should but doesn't lock. I'll take some pictures of the inside of the door tomorrow and post them on here. And probably remove the module. It's sucks though cause I just don't want to have to buy a 200$ piece of plastic!

Old 07-09-2019, 07:30 AM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
The cable may have come out of it's slot on the latch assembly. I had this happen on my passenger's side handle and ended up rigging it to stay put with a drill and a zip tie. It was better than paying for a new latch assembly!

Old 07-09-2019, 07:35 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
If the driver door won't electrically lock or unlock with the button then the actuator is bad
https://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-door-actuator.html

If it locks and unlocks fine and just can't open from the inside it likely needs the cable and to tie the new one in. The never version of the cables have orange ends, old style are blue
https://www.waymotorworks.com/bowden-door-cable.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Chey Horton
2nd Gear

I know most of the pictures are pretty blurry. My phone just wouldn't focus. Does anything look off or anything. Maybe unlatched. I don't know what to look for so I need yalls help. Haha.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
It looks like the cable has come loose from the latch and needs to be put back in place. This is what mine did and it will push the lock rod out of it's place too, as yours seems to be doing. I also did the zip tie mod on mine to keep it from popping out again.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:09 AM
Chey Horton
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Blue R50
It looks like the cable has come loose from the latch and needs to be put back in place. This is what mine did and it will push the lock rod out of it's place too, as yours seems to be doing. I also did the zip tie mod on mine to keep it from popping out again.
so pretty much just push the blue plastic thing back in and figure out a way to secure it?

Old 07-09-2019, 01:33 PM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Chey Horton
so pretty much just push the blue plastic thing back in and figure out a way to secure it?
Yes, but you will need to take the whole assembly out if you want to secure it.

Remove the top casing to drill four holes in total (two side by side per side to make
them wide enough to fit a full size zip tie) using a 1/8 in bit.Make it as far from the
top as possible so as to maintain the strength of the plastic. Do not use a larger bit
as it will make the hole too high and weaken the plastic.

Take the zip tie ends and run them through the cable hole in the top casing, then
replace the top casing.

Cinch the zip tie and you're done! Just don't pull the handle extra hard as the safe
failure mode has been eliminated and you will likely break the handle.

When removing the latch from the car, take out the mounting screws for the inside door handle and remove the tweeter so that you have extra cable length to manipulate the latch out. Failure to do so could break the handle or latch due to all the cheap German plastic.

Last edited by Blue R50; 07-09-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:37 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yes looks like it popped out. And the cable poppped out of the end. I think the older ones used to be blue and the newer part ones are now orange on that end. See our pics on this thread with the green end and the little door open.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ulletin-4.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-09-2019, 01:39 PM
Chey Horton
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Blue R50
Yes, but you will need to take the whole assembly out if you want to secure it.

This is how I did it. I first removed the outer casing from the latch assembly. Then I used a 1/8 in drill bit and drilled two holes side by side at the bottom of both sides of the boss the cable clips in to. After that, I threaded the zip tie through the hole and put the casing back in place. Finally, I installed the cable and cinched the zip tie tight and reinstalled it.

When removing the latch from the car, take out the mounting screws for the inside door handle and remove the tweeter so that you have extra cable length to manipulate the latch out. Failure to do so could break the handle or latch due to all the cheap German plastic.
I'll definitely give that a try. I popped it back in and sure enough it works like a charm. One thing I hadn't noticed which was kinda stupid on my part is I hadn't had the door closed when I would try the lock switch. You gotta have both doors closed for the lock switch to respond. Lol.