Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

CRC 05319 GDI IVD Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 02:20 AM
edwkmho
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CRC 05319 GDI IVD Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner

Anyone tried this product before.

It seems like a effective carbon remover without sorting to walnut blasting.

The youtube link provided showing cleaning the carbon deposit effectively on BMW N54 :

Old 06-11-2019, 04:58 AM
Squigglesr56
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i tried it once. did it just like the can said. i thought it was gona blow my motor when i took it for a ride after letting it sit the 45 min or whatever it is. it made my engine sound like there was a ball inside it almost ike a rattle can. and was puffing crazy smoke. it all went away after about 20 min of driving but it was mad skechy the way it sounded. i dont know if it helped anything after. seemed to run a lil better for a while but the sounds my car mad made me sick. give it a try just follow directions on the can and be ready for the crazy sounds but from the reviews i read most people say the same thing.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:23 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
I tried it on my valves. I've done walnut blasting on my valves when I first got the car (09 MCS), So valves went squeaky clean then 25k miles later, I took the intake manifold off and checked out the valves, Valves looked wet with oil and there were some carbon buildup along the stem and right where the valves touch the valve seat. This isn't severe by any means, but it's got some build-up. So I tried the CRC spray, did the 45 minute soak and crank up routine. I drove it for 100 miles then open up the intake manifold again to check the valves. It DID remove those built-up carbons, but not all of it. So it did work to a good extent.

Below is my summary:
- When I first got the car, valves are full of oil gunk and carbon build-up. I can even say it's approximately 2-3mm thick cake layer throughout.
- After walnut blasting, 0mm gunk left.
- Driven 25k miles, about 0.75mm to 1mm thick cake layer on front part of the stem and on the circumferential surface of the valve where it touches the valve seat.
- Spray this CRC valve cleaner and follow its instructions to soak and crank up. There are only trace cake layers left and it's very spotty, only the toughest cake remained, and it's not much by any means.

So in conclusion, it does work. It won't be as good as walnut blasting, but for those whose looking for some cheap and easy way to do the cleaning, this isn't a bad choice to try.

Suggestion: For whatever reason that you can't piece together the equipment necessary for walnut blasting, you can try this method, but also consider to use WD-40 before you do anything. However, make sure the valve you're working with is fully closed before you use WD-40 in that port. I've been tinkering with engine cleaning for years, and WD-40 is by far the most efficient degreaser I've used. It really does the job at removing dried up oil with very light amount. So If I were to do this job, I'd spend some time scrubbing the big pieces off using WD-40 while the valve is closed. Then dab in the paper towel to remove the solution. When the majority of the gunk has been removed, then spray this CRC valve cleaner and do what the instruction says. I believe that'll be the most efficient way to clean the valves and will achieve equivalent result as walnut blasting.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:36 PM
edwkmho
2nd Gear
Would that mean if using this CRC Valve Cleaner frequently, we can skip the walnut blasting.

Reason i am asking is - staying in condo and parking is in basement, therefore don't have proper space to work with walnut blasting equipments. Therefore have to sort out another way of cleaning the valve.

Thanks for all the advise, Guys.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:51 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by edwkmho
Would that mean if using this CRC Valve Cleaner frequently, we can skip the walnut blasting.

Reason i am asking is - staying in condo and parking is in basement, therefore don't have proper space to work with walnut blasting equipments. Therefore have to sort out another way of cleaning the valve.

Thanks for all the advise, Guys.

If you're not convenient to do walnut blasting, I suggest that you install an oil catch can setup to slow down that carbon build up process. Then all you gotta do is spray this CRC cleaner every 20-30k miles about 4-5 oil changes. I'm thinking with the oil catch can and CRC valve clenaner spray, you should be well off for a good 70-80k miles mind free valve cleanliness upkeep.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:39 PM
edwkmho
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Yupetc
If you're not convenient to do walnut blasting, I suggest that you install an oil catch can setup to slow down that carbon build up process. Then all you gotta do is spray this CRC cleaner every 20-30k miles about 4-5 oil changes. I'm thinking with the oil catch can and CRC valve clenaner spray, you should be well off for a good 70-80k miles mind free valve cleanliness upkeep.

Thanks for the advise.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:48 AM
ditc
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where do you spray this stuff? Right after the MAP sensor into the intake boot? Or do you remove the air box, and spray it directly into the TB or intake manifold (so it doesn’t go through turbo/interccooler,etc)?

Old 08-04-2021, 08:56 AM
Lex2008
6th Gear
Received 147 Likes on 129 Posts
Did you change your engine oil after using CRC GDI?

Old 08-12-2021, 01:21 AM
actasci
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ditc
Where do you spray this stuff? Right after the MAP sensor into the intake boot? Or do you remove the air box, and spray it directly into the TB or intake manifold (so it doesn’t go through turbo/interccooler,etc)?
I did not used this particular product but, passenger side pcv hose goes directly behind the throttle body. So you can take the hose out from the engine cover and spray in it. If you deleted that hose like me though, you can disassemble the map sensor and spray from there; i tried it, it seems to work.

Originally Posted by Lex2008
Did you change your engine oil after using CRC GDI?
you don’t need to, since you put this from intake side, it shouldn’t contaminate the oil.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:16 AM
Lex2008
6th Gear
Received 147 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by actasci
I did not used this particular product but, passenger side pcv hose goes directly behind the throttle body. So you can take the hose out from the engine cover and spray in it. If you deleted that hose like me though, you can disassemble the map sensor and spray from there; i tried it, it seems to work.

Will the car throw a code or stumble to stay at 2000 RPM with that hose disconnected? I haven't tried it.

you don’t need to, since you put this from intake side, it shouldn’t contaminate the oil.
Well your are spraying a lot of it into the combustion chamber and some could leak down past the rings and contaminate the brand new oil. So its likely better to do it before an oil change.