Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2005 Mini Cooper S: Clicks but wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 06:29 PM
Layla Namdar
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mini Cooper S: Clicks but wont start.

Two weeks after buying my used Mini with 118,000 miles on it, the check engine light came on. I immediately got it checked at autozone, they told me it was a transmission sensor issue which made sense because my car drives a little jerky as if the car doesn’t know what gear to be in sometimes (it’s an automatic). I continued to drive it b/c it was all I had and the check engine light went away. It would come back on once or twice but never stayed on. A couple of weeks later three lights show up on my center console (with the big speedometer) I pulled over and checked what they all meant online. One light was the DCI, another was the tire pressure monitor, and one I don’t remember. I remember the problem with two of the lights was that the sensors weren’t working, nothing was wrong with the car, the lights had just lit up in yellow to let me know the sensors on those features weren’t working. Two drives later and all of that went away.
Today I drove three hours away to pick up my sister. On the way there I noticed my battery light was on. I checked all the lights, nothing was on to my knowledge. I found it strange because the alternative is supposed to charge the battery while I’m driving anyways and the car was having no issues starting. Well, 2 hours and 50 minutes into my drive my ABS light came on and another light showed up in yellow. Then, my red break light comes on!! While I’m driving! Then I notice my speedometer is stuck, the airbag light was on and my dash board digital speedometer turned off too. I immediately pull over. I mess with a few things, put it into different gears, then attempt to just get to my sisters house. The car did not accelerate right, the gears were wrong, I could tell and my car jerked. I pull over again and as I break, the car goes into a low gear as if i was driving a manual and accidentally put it into 2nd gear going 40mph. I turn it off and attempt to turn it back on, it only clicked. The rpm gauge stick was stuck. It tried to pull up, but kept being pulled down quickly. Same with the large speedometer in the center console. When I turned the key, all the lights came on and the air worked, my hazard lights were on to my knowledge and windows worked.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-08-2019, 07:33 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Check all your grounds, battery, body, alternator. Definitely sounds like an electrical connection issue.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:37 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Find an good indy mechanic and get a diagnosis. I'm guessing you bought the car without a pre purchase inspection.