Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Brake pad wear sensor questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 07:16 AM
banman
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Brake pad wear sensor questions

Hate to start a new thread as a noob here but I've searched for an hour...
Found good info but all for the earlier Gen II brakes. Mines a 2013 MCS with 60k miles.
The earlier brake pad sensor has a 90° bend in it where it connects to the brake pad. Mine are straight. When I ordered my new brake pads (Akebono 1204) from Rock Auto I had to use the model year 2014 to find the right part #'s...
Anyway, I changed my front brake pads the other day and drove 60 miles with no problems. I couldn't get the time interval for the check brake pads to reset. I was able to reset the oil change due.

This morning the red "brake pads worn" light came on --

The check pad interval now says -20 miles and I wonder if that's what caused the red light to come on, and not an actual problem with the sensor itself?

1) I'd like to disable the brake wear indicator circuit -- is this done the same way as the earlier sensor? It appears my sensor cable is single wire so not sure I have two wires to just solder together...

2) Do I have to disconnect the sensor cable to "fool" the on-board computer into "thinking" the sensor has been replaced?

3) Will I be able to reset the "check brake pads" interval after I've got the sensor sorted, or does it now require a dealer to reset the computer?

Old 05-19-2019, 05:29 PM
banman
2nd Gear
Did I post in the wrong spot...?

Old 05-20-2019, 08:26 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
If you don't want that sensor bugging you, all you got to do is cut the sensor, hook both wires together (you can simply twist them together then tape it). And you'll never hear another gripe from that sensor. You will however lose that capability from the sensor to tell you how long your brake pad's life is. I never needed the sensor because most brake pads are designed so that we we're down to the last grind stage, it makes this squeaky noise.

You will not need dealer to reset your computer, you can simply access the sensor service interval by using the BC stalk and get into that menu to reset it on your own.

The following users liked this post:
banman (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 06:41 AM
banman
2nd Gear
To follow up -- finally got a chance to snip the sensor off my wife's car -- Success!

1) The latter style sensor does indeed have the same two wires inside.

2) I did not need to disconnect the sensor cable from the "computer" to "fool" it into thinking it had been replaced.

3) After by-passing the sensor I was able to reset the brake replacement interval (37k miles?! Where does that random # come from...?) and have the annoying light go out.

4) I'll by-pass the rear wheel sensor before it fails next time I have the wheel off for rotation/inspection.

imho (30 years of aircraft maintenance...) this is a terrible sensor setup -- It ONLY really tells you what's going on with two out of your eight brake pads! Brake pads DO NOT always wear evenly for a number of reasons and this setup fails to capture that reality but can lead the average owner/operator into a false sense of security thinking the pads are fine.