Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Evap leak after walnut blast

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 04:26 PM
ohhhh_schmidt
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dmath
Today I tried to replace the vent pipe that connects to the breather valve. "Tried" because about 6 inches from the breather valve, the pipe runs through some sort of "clip" that was designed by the Marquis de Sade. Both the vent pipe and the fuel line that runs to the HPFP go through it. Could not figure out how to get the vent pipe out of it. Anyone care to share the trick? Thanks.
If I remember correctly, they are locked together almost like a tongue in groove parallel to the axis of the hose. I pushed the top away from me and pulled the bottom toward me and they separated once the back edge of the top reached the front edge of the bottom. Hopefully that makes sense.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Did replacing the vent pipe take care of your fuel cap warnings?

Old 05-22-2019, 08:20 PM
ohhhh_schmidt
1st Gear
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Did replacing the vent pipe take care of your fuel cap warnings?
I haven't installed mine yet. It just arrived on Monday and I've been too busy working on my Jeep this week to mess with it. I'll be sure to report back here when I get it done though. My forum pet peeve is when people post a question or problem and don't follow up with the resolution.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:36 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I’m having an issue that I suspect may be that hose as well. Just replaced the purge valve and noticed that the clip on one side of the hose connection is broken and pushed in. It stays on tight, but I suspect it may be leaking a tiny bit. Have the hose ordered and am waiting.
curious to know if you resolved the problem or not. I have a completely different set of symptoms, but the same suspect none the less

Old 05-30-2019, 02:22 PM
ohhhh_schmidt
1st Gear
Shortly after my hose arrived, my cel turned off on it's own and I haven't seen it or the gas cap message since. In light of that, I haven't been motivated to take things apart to change the hose. I suspect a few heat cycles and contact with fuel vapor may have helped the orings regain their seal. If I have cause to take it apart in the future, I'll probably just replace the hose at that time; unless of course the leak comes back again. I probably won't have the car long enough to need to do another walnut blast (if I ever get my catch can installed) so the hose may go with the car to its next owner.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:45 PM
dmath
6th Gear
The vent pipe fixed my problem. It's been about a week since I made the change and no gas cap warning or CEL since. I hope you aren't making me jinx it, MrGrumpy.

The following users liked this post:
ohhhh_schmidt (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 06:38 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
The vent pipe fixed my problem. It's been about a week since I made the change and no gas cap warning or CEL since. I hope you aren't making me jinx it, MrGrumpy.
No voodoo here! Ha ha.
Seriously though, I’m happy to hear it fixed your issue! Mine is a really strange one. I’m getting a real quick short little whistle sometimes under boost. I have checked for boost leaks so many times, I’m sure that it’s not anything like that. The EVAP purge valve seems to have taken care of most of the problem, but when I was changing it yesterday, I noticed that hose connector was messed up, so for piece of mind as much as anything, I ordered one. My next project coming soon will be new intake and throttle body gaskets and running new vacuum lines because of age and mileage, not to mention, I have no idea how many times the intake has been removed, between me, Seattle Mini, another shop, and whatever the PO may have needed done! Lol. Just feels right to do, since they are already sitting here anyway. I just need to decide if I want to use low key black vacuum hose, or some of that fancy colored stuff that ECS sells. I think it may be neat to make them blue to match my charge pipes and stuff. Who knows!
Good luck with it!

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 05-30-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:54 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Now that I just took a closer look at the old purge valve, there’s some discoloration on the nipple where the bad connector....connects. It’s streaky along it and wipes off with a finger or rag. Maybe that has been my leak all along? What do you guys think? If you look close (not sure if it is in the pic) there is even a small round-ish spot on the body of the valve itself where it looks to have been venting towards it. One of the more frustrating things about it is that I’ve never gotten a single code for it either! Here’s a photo of it:

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 05-30-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:47 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Interesting. The discoloration on the valve body and the valve side of the flange seems like the o-ring isn't sealing. I didn't notice anything like that on mine. You may be on to something.

A question for you: what's the trick to removing the vent pipe from the valve? It was a real PITA -- I eventually got it but it took a lot of playing with it. I recently read a thread about replacing the HPFP that said for the fuel supply line you squeeze the clip and push toward the pump before pulling off. Does that work for the purge valve vent pipe as well?

As for the vacuum lines, go for the fancy colored stuff. Mini engine compartments need a little color. And machined aluminum valve covers.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:52 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ohhhh_schmidt
Shortly after my hose arrived, my cel turned off on it's own and I haven't seen it or the gas cap message since. In light of that, I haven't been motivated to take things apart to change the hose. I suspect a few heat cycles and contact with fuel vapor may have helped the orings regain their seal. If I have cause to take it apart in the future, I'll probably just replace the hose at that time; unless of course the leak comes back again. I probably won't have the car long enough to need to do another walnut blast (if I ever get my catch can installed) so the hose may go with the car to its next owner.
That's good news. I hope your other problems have been resolved too.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:08 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Interesting. The discoloration on the valve body and the valve side of the flange seems like the o-ring isn't sealing. I didn't notice anything like that on mine. You may be on to something.

A question for you: what's the trick to removing the vent pipe from the valve? It was a real PITA -- I eventually got it but it took a lot of playing with it. I recently read a thread about replacing the HPFP that said for the fuel supply line you squeeze the clip and push toward the pump before pulling off. Does that work for the purge valve vent pipe as well?

As for the vacuum lines, go for the fancy colored stuff. Mini engine compartments need a little color. And machined aluminum valve covers.
I hope so! I’ll know in few days when the new one arrives.
If you mean from the nipple like on my picture, there is a small button on 2 sides (one of mine is pushed permanently in) you need to push both in and I’m not sure if it needed it, but I did wiggle it in and out just a tiny bit until I felt it release. If you mean one like the other hose with the sort of ring clamp around it (see photo) you squeeze the ring opposite the latches.
Hope this helps!
And I think you have convinced me to order some blue vacuum line :-/

Old 05-30-2019, 08:17 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Now that I’m looking at the valve and know that hose is bad, I’ll bet my purge valve was fine. It most likely seems a good deal improved at the moment because I really pushed it on there, lol. That’s hopefully why it’s still there, but significantly reduced right now. If I went out and jiggled it around it would probably come right back.
At least that is what I’m hoping for! Lol. I’m just going to leave it alone though, until I replace it.

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 05-30-2019 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-30-2019, 08:54 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Thanks. I meant the one on the nipple. Next time I have the airbox out I'll play with it just because I want to figure it out.

Figuring out these problems is a process of elimination. At least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing the valve and the pipe are good for the next 60K. (Looking for the upside.)

Old 05-30-2019, 09:07 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Thanks. I meant the one on the nipple. Next time I have the airbox out I'll play with it just because I want to figure it out.

Figuring out these problems is a process of elimination. At least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing the valve and the pipe are good for the next 60K. (Looking for the upside.)
Well I’ll be pulling that particular fitting back off in a couple days, so I will check it out and post what I can find out for you. It was a PITA to get off.
Thanks for your help and advice!
Yes absolutely! There are several parts I have already replaced for no other reason than age and mileage. There is something to be said for piece of mind and preventative maintenance! Plus I enjoy getting out there and wrenching on the car a little. It’s a good time for my son and I to hang out, and allows me to continue the family tradition of passing on the knowledge to the next generation, the same way my dad and I did, and his before .... and so on. Some of the best times of my life!
Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:26 AM
dmath
6th Gear
I had to know so this morning I removed the air box and had a go at the connector on the purge valve vent pipe. What worked for me was pushing the connector toward the valve (just slightly), then depress the button and pull. Slid right off. Now I know...

Old 06-01-2019, 12:23 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
I had to know so this morning I removed the air box and had a go at the connector on the purge valve vent pipe. What worked for me was pushing the connector toward the valve (just slightly), then depress the button and pull. Slid right off. Now I know...
Awesome! Good to know. I know it was a pain when I did it. When my new hose shows up, this should help make it easier.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:16 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
I didn’t get around to posting right away. The vent hose for the EVAP purge valve arrived and was on the car in less than 5 minutes! Pushing in a little to disengage it did the trick right quick!
Unfortunately it didn’t solve my problem. So I got some nice blue silicone vacuum line to match my charge pipes. And sometime in the next few days I am planning to yank out the intake manifold and replace those gaskets and the gasket on the throttle body. Run new vacuum lines, and inspect the vacuum reservoir and pressure converter.
Something that has me curious though, if anyone has any thoughts on if it is normal or not.... but the other day I swapped my DV+ for a factory diverter valve. And while I was doing it, I pulled the vacuum hose off of the wastegate actuator and blew into it. I was expecting to blow just a tiny bit, then have back pressure prevent me from blowing more air in. Well that’s not what happened....When I blew into it, I could hear a muffled gurgling sound. Which made me think of two things. First, that there is definitely air escaping somewhere, and second, I’m now wondering what the gurgling was! I have seen mention on here of those vacuum reservoirs getting filled with oil from the vacuum pump. Maybe that’s part of it? I just don’t know!
If anybody has any ideas, please post them! I need more brains on this, lol. If I’m lucky the tank or a line has a small crack or something that I can fix. Best case would be a bad vacuum line since I’m replacing them anyway.
What do you think NAM?

Old 06-09-2019, 03:19 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Really nice line though! Really flexible, but nice thick walls.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:04 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Well, I believe I may be on the right track here. After soooo much googling, I have finally come across a test procedure for the turbo vacuum system. Here is a link to the page https://www.nomaallim.com/turbo-vacu...diagnosis.html
Putting a vacuum gauge on both outlets of the vacuum pump, things look really good on the brake booster side, instant full vacuum. The turbo side, took a second or two to build vacuum, but I believe it is still within spec. And when the engine was shut off, the vacuum held like a champ.
now testing the lines and tank have me a different story. I removed the vacuum line from the wastegate actuator, and plugged the vacuum gauge into it to test the integrity of the lines and tank. Start the car and vacuum is there, but at about 13 inHg or so, it bounced a tiny bit which is supposed to be normal l. And same as before, when the engine is shut off, vacuum should hold and slowly bleed off, if at all.
Well, the gauge shows me that as soon as the motor stops the vacuum DUMPS to zero immediately! So I am thinking it has to be a vacuum hose or the vacuum reservoir. And the noise I’m hearing is it sucking air in somewhere or something when the vacuum drops or something like that.
what do you all think?