Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

What is causing this...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:31 PM
Joey Alexander
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is causing this...

So my 2003 mini Cooper S just started doing this thing. It runs and drives but spits and sputters then will just drop out. Can't do over 10 miles an hour and the eml light and that little triangle with the arrow around it light comes on. It stalls out and doesn't want to start.

I changed the spark plugs (ngknirridium) first and it repeated, and then the upstream map sensor. It ran great for about 30 miles and the same thing happened. If I unhook the battery it seems to run fine, just a little spit or sptuter here and there, until it reaches 25-30 miles and then it happens again.

Any idea what it can be? I've been stranded a dozen times in the last two weeks.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Joey Alexander
1st Gear
Also yes, the cel is on and it reads misfire. I have changed the plugs actually three times in two weeks.

Anyone have any clue??

Old 03-12-2019, 10:13 PM
Andy_S
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Joey Alexander
Also yes, the cel is on and it reads misfire. I have changed the plugs actually three times in two weeks.

Anyone have any clue??
Well, probably not the plugs.

Does the code tell you what cylinder is misfiring? If so, switch the coils around and see if the misfire moves cylinders.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:14 PM
Joey Alexander
1st Gear
Cylinder 1 and I will try that tomorrow.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:28 PM
jr_R52
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
R53s do not have coil over plugs. Switching the wires is not a good idea. The firing order will be all wrong and the engine won't run.

Check the wires and boots for cracks or damage. Unplug the wires from the coil pack and clean the terminals. They are known to corrode, specially #3. A new coil pack is fairly cheap from an auto part store.Some Dodge Neon and Mitsubishi use the same pack.

Good luck.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:49 AM
Joey Alexander
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jr_R52
R53s do not have coil over plugs. Switching the wires is not a good idea. The firing order will be all wrong and the engine won't run.

Check the wires and boots for cracks or damage. Unplug the wires from the coil pack and clean the terminals. They are known to corrode, specially #3. A new coil pack is fairly cheap from an auto part store.Some Dodge Neon and Mitsubishi use the same pack.

Good luck.

Thank you. I actually ordered a new ignition coil and wires today so I'll know soon if that was it.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:02 AM
toddrs93
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles are on the car?

Old 03-15-2019, 11:04 AM
Joey Alexander
1st Gear
Originally Posted by toddrs93
How many miles are on the car?

Old 03-17-2019, 04:54 PM
toddrs93
Neutral
Originally Posted by Joey Alexander
So If it’s not spark issue, then I would take a look at the valves. I have one at the shop right now in a similar situation. It presented with a misfire and the guy had already changed plugs, coils, and even the fuel pump. Lol it amazes me how much people will spend money guessing before they let a pro diagnose it. Anyway since he claimed to have done these things, and the car definitely had a hard misfire, I went straight to a compression check and found 0 in one cylinder. Then I pulled the intake and looked in at the valves with a mirror and a camera and wow I have never seen so much carbon build up. I’ll try to attach a pic because I took several with my phone. Official diagnosis was carbon build up keeping the valves from fully seating and also probably making them stick as well. There are tech service bullitens out there from mini on this. And unfortunately once it gets to that extreme the most likely course of action is to pull the head off and completely apart to clean.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:59 PM
toddrs93
Neutral
Old 03-17-2019, 05:01 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Have you checked your crank damper.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:42 PM
TX-Mini05
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow! That’s a lot of build up. I’d try some sea foam first, worth a try. I’ve seen some minis on YouTube that have had good results.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:46 PM
Joey Alexander
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Tgriffithjr
Have you checked your crank damper.
No, I'm not even sure what that is. I have changed the plugs, wires, and ignition coil now. It still does the same thing and stalls out constantly.its not even driveable at this point.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Joey Alexander
1st Gear

So If it’s not spark issue, then I would take a look at the valves. I have one at the shop right now in a similar situation. It presented with a misfire and the guy had already changed plugs, coils, and even the fuel pump. Lol it amazes me how much people will spend money guessing before they let a pro diagnose it. Anyway since he claimed to have done these things, and the car definitely had a hard misfire, I went straight to a compression check and found 0 in one cylinder. Then I pulled the intake and looked in at the valves with a mirror and a camera and wow I have never seen so much carbon build up. I’ll try to attach a pic because I took several with my phone. Official diagnosis was carbon build up keeping the valves from fully seating and also probably making them stick as well. There are tech service bullitens out there from mini on this. And unfortunately once it gets to that extreme the most likely course of action is to pull the head off and completely apart to clean.
I have ran redline fuel cleaner for awhile, I'm not sure it could be that. But I appreciate the thought.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:52 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
The crank damper is the large pulley on the front of the engine. It’s the lowest pulley in the center of the engine. You should be able to see it with a flashlight. If it’s a stock pulley and never been changed it is most likely bad. Look for rubber dust around it. Take a screw driver and see if you can move the outer ring by prying it away from the engine block. You can also start the engine and look to see if it’s wobbling. Have you ever smelled burning rubber?

Old 03-17-2019, 05:57 PM
Joey Alexander
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Tgriffithjr
The crank damper is the large pulley on the front of the engine. It’s the lowest pulley in the center of the engine. You should be able to see it with a flashlight. If it’s a stock pulley and never been changed it is most likely bad. Look for rubber dust around it. Take a screw driver and see if you can move the outer ring by prying it away from the engine block. You can also start the engine and look to see if it’s wobbling. Have you ever smelled burning rubber?
I have not smelled burning rubber but I will take a look at that tomorrow and see if I can found it and if it's good or not according to what you said.When its runningr it has a strange and strong exhaust odor but it stalls out when you step on the gas most of the times.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:04 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
If it has never been changed I would be surprised if it’s not bad or on the way out. Mine whet bad at 65000.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
It could also be a plugged up catalytic converter or exhaust system. You can test this yourself by removing the upstream oxygen sensor (to give the exhaust somewhere to go) and take a drive to see if it has improved. If you can start out driving ok, and then it gets worse and worse as you drive this is a very likely cause. Yes, this test method will be loud and will set a code or two, but you already have the SES light on, anyways.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:08 PM
toddrs93
Neutral
has this problem been resolved?

Old 04-02-2019, 01:16 PM
Joey Alexander
1st Gear
has this problem been resolved?
The problem was not resolved. I recently found a mini dealer about an hour away and it is there getting looked at and diagnosed. I will let you know what they find out.