Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Replacing Aisin transmission in 2007 R56

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 08:14 AM
realengineering
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Aisin transmission in 2007 R56

2007 R56 with 140k miles with a bad Aisin transmission. I'm either going to turn this car into a piece of modern art in my yard, or I'm going to swap out the tranny with a used - low miles Aisin. I'm generally ok with the work of swapping out a transmission, but I've heard that there is a reprogramming of the DME that is necessary when you switch out the transmission. I have no idea on the cost of that reprogramming or who would do it...or if it even needs to be done.

My questions to the forum:
Is there a reprogramming that needs to be done? Is this a dealer job? Any idea on costs? Is there specific information about the new transmission/valve body that the dealer/shop would need to do this (best to get that while it is out of the car)?
Any things that I should look out for in swapping a transmission in this tiny little car?

Thanks all...

Old 03-04-2019, 09:39 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
can you walk us back to why you want replace the transmission?

I dont think programming is needed. you may want to reset adaptations but even then the car should be fine.

while the engine is out, you could replace alot of things like the thermostat, water pump, timing chain, water pipe, serpentine belt, oil housing filter...etc....it all depends on how much you want to spend and/or if replacement is needed.

The following users liked this post:
realengineering (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 10:40 AM
realengineering
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
can you walk us back to why you want replace the transmission?

I dont think programming is needed. you may want to reset adaptations but even then the car should be fine.

while the engine is out, you could replace alot of things like the thermostat, water pump, timing chain, water pipe, serpentine belt, oil housing filter...etc....it all depends on how much you want to spend and/or if replacement is needed.
The backstory is that the transmission had never been serviced in this vehicle - likely because I put too much stock into the "lifetime fluid" claims of MINI. About 5k miles ago I started to get a slight slip or hesitation in shifting between 3rd and 4th which got progressively worse. Then, I started to get slippage at higher RPM's in 4th, and then 5th. I had a local garage look into it (ex-MINI tech from Orlando MINI) diagnosed as needing a new transmission. It was that shop that said that there would need to be some reprogramming if a used transmission was put into the vehicle.

Thanks for the pointers on changing those other things out. The timing chain was redone 60k miles back, but it doesn't hurt to check that and drop in a new cassette if needed.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:57 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
got you...I think it is worth taking the valve body out and cleaning it. with this mileage the solenoids probably got clogged up. this is the 09G transmission. this guy is going an excellent job dissecting the transmission. check his vids.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:05 PM
jglover
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
When I replaced the Aisin Trans in my daughters 08 I did not reprogram the dme.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:54 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
If you are just swapping out the trans no reprogramming necessary. You just need to reset the adaptations for the trans and engine before you start it.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
realengineering (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 06:37 AM
realengineering
Neutral
Thanks.

I'll assume that resetting the adaptations involves connecting something to the vehicle with BMW/MINI software and doing the reset. Or, is there a secret handshake method of button/pedal pushes (chicken bones, prayers and the like)?

Old 05-13-2019, 09:46 PM
Petr StudniÄka
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its my understanding that mini dealer does not work on these trannys so a mini tech will say you need a tranny only because thats what they do at mini.like someone said cleaning the valve body , plus checking the selenoids or replacing with new selenoids ....lastly you will most likely need to adjust the selenoid valves. in fact you could start with only the valve adjustments first and fluid change to see if that fixes the issue. flares and bumps can be fixed by adjusting the selenoid valves. assuming slippage you mentioned are flares ...hope you havnt take the tranny out yet lol