Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Oil leaks and other issues, help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 05:58 AM
Chupicocconut
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am new to the group and a I just purchased a 2008 S model manual with about 100,000 miles.
Upon driving it home from the dealership I could smell antifreeze, checked it out and was losing anifreez out of the water pump weep hole. So on day one of being a mini owner I changed out the water pump, that was fun, not! While doing it I noticed I was leaking some oil from several spots. I took it to the dealer, got an oil change and have them identify where it was leaking. Below is a list in order of how about the leaks are.
vacuum pump
oil filter housing
oil pan gasket
turbo oil line
I’ve ordered all these parts & I plan on doing All the work myself next weekend. My question is........
Is there anything else I should be replacing while I have the stuff apart? Any other valves, switches, gaskets?

Your help is appreciated, thank you

Old 03-01-2019, 06:14 AM
I like mini clubman's
4th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
You've hit the list of leaks pretty good. Other known N14 issues are the thermostat and crossover pipe the goes between it and the water pump. Next major problem is the timing chain. When was it done last? The chain is known to cause catastrofic engine failures at this milage if not replaced. Also the pcv system in the valve cover goes bad and oil is sucked into the intake, you can only replace the vavle cover as it is not serviceable. Last on the list is valve seals, they are cooked at this milage and need replacement. They seals along with the cover cause excessive oil usage as mush as or more than the leaks.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:39 AM
Chupicocconut
1st Gear
Originally Posted by I like mini clubman's
You've hit the list of leaks pretty good. Other known N14 issues are the thermostat and crossover pipe the goes between it and the water pump. Next major problem is the timing chain. When was it done last? The chain is known to cause catastrofic engine failures at this milage if not replaced. Also the pcv system in the valve cover goes bad and oil is sucked into the intake, you can only replace the vavle cover as it is not serviceable. Last on the list is valve seals, they are cooked at this milage and need replacement. They seals along with the cover cause excessive oil usage as mush as or more than the leaks.
awesome, thank you for the advice

Old 03-01-2019, 08:34 AM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It's unfortunate this is your first experience with the Mini, but from what I've read about the N14s you'll really want to keep an eye on those oil leaks. It might be time timing chain inspection time for yours as well, but I'm not 100% on that so if any other N14 owners can chime in to make sure you're keeping up with the proper maintenance that'd be awesome. Otherwise, good luck with getting the leaks fixed and have fun with it!

Old 03-01-2019, 08:40 AM
Chupicocconut
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cloverasx
Welcome to the forums! It's unfortunate this is your first experience with the Mini, but from what I've read about the N14s you'll really want to keep an eye on those oil leaks. It might be time timing chain inspection time for yours as well, but I'm not 100% on that so if any other N14 owners can chime in to make sure you're keeping up with the proper maintenance that'd be awesome. Otherwise, good luck with getting the leaks fixed and have fun with it!
I would love to hear about thoughts on the timing chain. Anybody have any idea what the dealer charges to do this test?

Old 03-01-2019, 09:13 AM
GsxR1000
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
If you replace valve-cover, also replace pcv hose that runs from rear of valve cover to intake. On my 2009 MCS with 135K miles, the said pcv hose had a split in it and was causing all sorts of idle issues...

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2019, 10:37 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
All the leaks are easy over all, just messy. Our Turbo Oil Line Super kit has everyting you will need all in one place with the best parts you can buy! https://www.detroittuned.com/dt-turb...ine-super-kit/

Others have talked aobut timing chains in this thread. it is somentihg you will have to and our kit is made better than all of the other kits out there! https://www.detroittuned.com/mini-n14-timing-chain-kit/

We also have any other other other parts you may need, and i have a cheap seal for your Vaccum Pump if you give us a call!

Chad
Detroit Tuned

Old 03-02-2019, 05:02 AM
holkki
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Faulty PCV system makes pressure to crank ventilation and oil leaks crankshaft oil seal. Very often bad oil filter housing gasket leaks front of motor.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:18 AM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
OT:
Did the dealer tell you that the car is leeking antifreeze and oil before you bought it? Or was it obvious that it does?

If not, the following may be relevant:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...car#warranties

The following users liked this post:
cloverasx (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:59 AM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
@giorgos Thank you for posting that - I was looking all over because I felt there should be something atune to an implied warranty, but all the information I could find covered lemon laws, sold-as-is, or explicitly defined warranties.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:00 AM
Chupicocconut
1st Gear
@giorgos Thank you for posting that - I was looking all over because I felt there should be something atune to an implied warranty, but all the information I could find covered lemon laws, sold-as-is, or explicitly defined warranties.
Yeah I think I’m screwed on any kind of lemon law or return

Old 03-06-2019, 08:32 AM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
You're welcome! There is so much inaccurate information and junk on the net that useful information is drowned out...

Originally Posted by Chupicocconut
Yeah I think I’m screwed on any kind of lemon law or return
If that is indeed so (i.e. depending on the state you bought the car in and how the seller declared it beforehand) at least I hope you got a pretty good deal on it.

(even more OT: in Germany, any faults known to the seller must be declared to the buyer. If they are not, the buyer may even be able to force the transaction to be reversed. Also, "as-is" clauses are void and professional dealers automatically are liable for a minimum of six or even 12 months for any faults that were present at the time of purchase)

Old 03-10-2019, 07:31 AM
Chupicocconut
1st Gear
Engine warning light

So yesterday I Did the vacuum pump, oil filter housing gaskets, Oil pan gasket, and the oil turbo lines. Now I am getting a warning light or error code on the dash. It’s just an engine, halfway filled in in color. Any ideas? The idle is slightly rough but not bad, It does seem like it’s slightly short on power on the bottom, once it revs it pulls hard but at the bottom and it’s not as responsive as it was? Don’t know if that’s in my head or not?

Old 03-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Chupicocconut
1st Gear
Limp mode after fixing oil leaks

Limp mode after fixing oil leaks, so yeah after having the entire front end off the car and replacing all of the oil filter housing seals, both oil turbo lines, the vacuum pump, and the oil pan gasket I’ve got two problems. I am getting approximately one really small drip of oil right in the front of the motor again FML and the car will not get out of a limp mode It went into limp mode on the first test drive, let it get really warm checked all the fluids several times drove around the block a couple times it was fine, went out and got on the highway and gave it a good amount of gas on the ramp and that’s when it went into limp mode. Please help I’m losing my mind here

Old 03-15-2019, 01:38 AM
guspi76
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Chupicocconut
Limp mode after fixing oil leaks, so yeah after having the entire front end off the car and replacing all of the oil filter housing seals, both oil turbo lines, the vacuum pump, and the oil pan gasket I’ve got two problems. I am getting approximately one really small drip of oil right in the front of the motor again FML and the car will not get out of a limp mode It went into limp mode on the first test drive, let it get really warm checked all the fluids several times drove around the block a couple times it was fine, went out and got on the highway and gave it a good amount of gas on the ramp and that’s when it went into limp mode. Please help I’m losing my mind here
And the fun just begins! Get a sample of the vacuum line for size and get about 3 feet of hose. Preplace all of the vacuum hoses. That hose in the back of the valve cover that goes to the throttle, replace it or cap it. The caps can be found at the dealer. Just ask the parts guy to show you the drawing for the valve cover on a 2012 or an N18 engine. The cap is in the back where the hose is supposed to be, get 2 of those one for the valve cover and one for the TB. Get an ebay valve cover, they're good. About 60dlls. Check the turbo intake hose for cracks. If it's leaking by the inlet of the turbo or by the PCV metering instrument, you'll get that half lit engine. All these relatively cheap DIY's should get most of the issues that get you that light. You disturbed a few things by doing these gaskets at the front of the engine. Most of these parts are rubber and they crack over the years. They should be easy to identify if they need attention. Good luck. Oh, and get a BSH catch can. There is a video on how to do the install.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:02 AM
Chupicocconut
1st Gear
Originally Posted by guspi76
And the fun just begins! Get a sample of the vacuum line for size and get about 3 feet of hose. Preplace all of the vacuum hoses. That hose in the back of the valve cover that goes to the throttle, replace it or cap it. The caps can be found at the dealer. Just ask the parts guy to show you the drawing for the valve cover on a 2012 or an N18 engine. The cap is in the back where the hose is supposed to be, get 2 of those one for the valve cover and one for the TB. Get an ebay valve cover, they're good. About 60dlls. Check the turbo intake hose for cracks. If it's leaking by the inlet of the turbo or by the PCV metering instrument, you'll get that half lit engine. All these relatively cheap DIY's should get most of the issues that get you that light. You disturbed a few things by doing these gaskets at the front of the engine. Most of these parts are rubber and they crack over the years. They should be easy to identify if they need attention. Good luck. Oh, and get a BSH catch can. There is a video on how to do the install.
Thank you very much for the insight. I did the diverter and turbo intake hose and I’m still getting the half engine so I will try the vacuum hoses and the BSH can next.
Thanks again