Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

How to remove a stuck LH drive axle

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 04:30 PM
Noahl
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How to remove a stuck LH drive axle

I have been searching around for months for any type of advice / videos on ways to remove a "stubborn" LH (driver's side) Axle from a 2007 Mini. So far, the only ways have been some elbow grease and a prybar

Well, after a few attempts to get this thing out (courtesy of the wonderful design of the c-lip), I managed to get a couple of "loan-a-tools" and merge them together to help in this situation:

I used the PB spray (a lot of it), and tried spraying down the shaft. You have to have good aim on this one. Then I got a "FWD Axle Puller adapter" and a "Front Hub Wheel drive Hub puller"

Then I used the bolt from the front hub puller for the axle puller then added a small "thin" nut to the bottom of the bolt so as to "cushion" it from the point hitting the transmission case.

Of course this is showing it without the axle in, but you can get the point on how it would wrap around the existing axle. Then you simple torque down on the bolt with a socket (again, making sure the little nut stays in place and the pointed end of the bolt is not touching the housing). I did a about 2-4 rotations tightening down before it popped out. I would think any more than that, and you might risk damage?!?!. I did pry at the thing a lot before resulting to use this device, so take that in consideration as well.

Hope this helps anyone in the future

The following 2 users liked this post by Noahl:
ECSTuning (02-20-2019), MiniToBe (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 08:03 AM
jglover
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I had this problem when changing the automatic in my daughters car. I had purchased the pickle fork style removal tool. Please do not use this style tool. As I was hitting it with a hammer, I ended up putting a hole in the case of the transmission. If I wasn't changing the transmission, I would have screwed myself royally. I ended up taking the trans out with the axle stuck in. Had to cut axle in have to get suspension parts off the car.
When reinstalling the axle I had a very hard time putting the axle back in. It came down to the clip on the axle not being round and would not go back in. (RockAuto Axle) Purchased a clip from mini which was considerably rounder, an tapered, and the axle went it first try.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:46 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If you don't have any special tools most of the time you can take the other axle out and with something long poke "through" the transmission and knock the stubborn axle out. Also works well if you've snapped an axle stubs and part of the axle is still in the diff.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:20 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
[QUOTE=v10climber;4451919]If you don't have any special tools most of the time you can take the other axle out and with something long poke "through" the transmission and knock the stubborn axle out. Also works well if you've snapped an axle stubs and part of the axle is still in the diff.[/QUOTE

On my 2008 Automatic, that method wouldn't work. The axle goes into a blind hole. This was very frustrating when I did my trans.