Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

05 mini - brake lights stuck on, stuck in EP mode, ABS and DSC lights stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 02:51 PM
indianainline
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 mini - brake lights stuck on, stuck in EP mode, ABS and DSC lights stuck

This has been going on for a few months. Every time after it rains the brake lights will remain stuck on no matter what, the ABS and DSC lights come on (yellow) and it is stuck in EP mode. It was going off after about a week of no rain but now it seems stuck on permanently. We took it to mini last year for a similar issue (EP was stuck on) and I've provided the breakdown of what they found when the ran the electrical check on it below.

From mini dealer:

EP light due to brake switch/pressure sensor faults. Wiring from the dsc control unit is shorted out. Hooked to ISID and read fault memory. Found fc 5e24 and 0571 stored. If faults are cleared. The ep light comes back on shortly after and the faults are stored again. Tried a known good brake light switch and faults were still present. Checked the wiring for the brake light switch to the dme and ground/ok. Checked the wiring for the pressure sensor and found high resistance. Moved wiring around the dsc control unit and the brake switch readings would change from operated to not operated. Advised on removing dsc unit to access wiring that runs against the firewall to repair the wiring.

We didn't do anything back then since the brake lights weren't stuck on and it was going to be very expensive. Now it is a safety hazard so we need to ge t this fixed asap. Any one else run into anything like this? Any help would be appreciated. My father in law is a mechanic and even he is stumped.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:58 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would remove the kick panel and inspect the wires. My car just stopped working on one brake light. I couldn't figure it out so I wired up a new brake light circuit. The old fashioned way. It's own fuse, and a relay. You could do that too and have brake lights independent of comuters.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:56 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by indianainline
This has been going on for a few months. Every time after it rains the brake lights will remain stuck on no matter what
Water has probably getting into the body control module, which controls the brake lights. It is behind the kickpanel in the passenger footwell, and as gpwpat says, you need to open it up and inspect the wiring. You may very well find the area to be wet. Does the car have a sunroof? A common problem is that its drainage duct gets clogged and the excess water leaks into the footwell area.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:26 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Seen it on my dads 05, bad speedometer cluster....

Nik