Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Another starting/battery/alternator/starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:53 AM
sonofray
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another starting/battery/alternator/starter issue

I post rarely, but have benefited from this forum so very much! Thank you all for your continuous information and discussion!

CAR:
I have a 2007 R56 MINI "Justa" Hatch

PROBLEM:
Slow or not starting in the morning. CAN jump start it, and it runs fine and restarts better later.

STEPS TAKEN:
  • Had alternator and battery tested at multiple auto shops (O'reilly, Advance, Carquest), including the more lengthy "parking lot" process - increase RPMs, turn on/off A/C fan, etc. All tested good.
  • Battery terminals are tight and corosion-free.
  • Had recent AC compressor/condensor/water pump and tensioner replaced (unrelated), but same problem occasionally occurred before.

QUESTIONS:
  • Battery is 4-5 years old, but consistently tests as "good" as many ways as i can find to test it - is there a best way?
  • if it starts better after running for a while does that indeed mean both my alternator and battery are fine? (since that means the battery is holding a charge)
  • If I get a new battery, I'm sure the problem will go away for a while, since it will be charged when put in. Is there a way to make sure it's the battery before spending $100-200?
  • What's the best way to see if it's a parasitic battery drain? (whether the battery is good or not?)
  • is a trickle-charger/conditioner a necessity no matter what? It seems silly that some people say it's a necessity to constantly be charging your battery with an external source since modern cars have an alternator.
Thanks for any and all info. I know some of this is repetitive, but after reading many different cold start/starter/battery posts I couldn't find all the answers I need.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:30 PM
sonofray
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... I guess the real question is, what's the best method for me to see if it's a parasitic battery drain or a sneaky bad battery? It's got to be one of those, right?

Old 12-12-2018, 02:45 PM
jglover
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I will bet its the battery. The life span of a battery is usually around 4 to 5 years. When you go to have it tested at Autozone or others is it when you have driven it to there store. Is there a way to have the battery tested after it has been sitting overnight and not recharged by the alternator?

Old 12-12-2018, 04:45 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by jglover
I will bet its the battery. The life span of a battery is usually around 4 to 5 years. When you go to have it tested at Autozone or others is it when you have driven it to there store. Is there a way to have the battery tested after it has been sitting overnight and not recharged by the alternator?
^ this. Replace the battery; in any case, it's at end of life.