Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Leaking spark plug tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 09:38 PM
WillYart
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking spark plug tube

Hi everybody, Cyl #3 is having occasional misfire code every 100-200 miles which I reset.

Seems to run OK, I don't notice it.

Tried fresh spark plugs, ignition cables/boots and coil pack.

Issue persists.

Noticed oil seeping into tube #3. Valve cover gaskets recently replaced (circular ones that go around tubes).

104K miles, Mini Sept. 2003 manufactured. R50.

Peeking through spark plug hole, piston looks dry. Recent leak-down test gave good results across all cylinders.

Anyway before I replace the Valve cover - sparkplug tube gaskets, is there some kind of oring or seal at the base of each tube, where it mates with the HEAD itself? Or is it just sealed with RTV?

I suspect that it's leaking at the base, since it recently got new valve cover gaskets. But I can't find a part number or anything like that.

Aloha

Old 11-28-2018, 07:38 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
In your post you say the gaskets around the spark plug tubes were recently replaced, but then later you ask if there are any gaskets that go around the spark plug tubes. A little confusing, but the answer to your question is yes. Check the valve cover for cracks which will cause leaks even with good gaskets.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:17 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Tgriffithjr
In your post you say the gaskets around the spark plug tubes were recently replaced, but then later you ask if there are any gaskets that go around the spark plug tubes. A little confusing, but the answer to your question is yes. Check the valve cover for cracks which will cause leaks even with good gaskets.
WillYart asked if a gasket resides at the base of the tubes, to which the answer is no, they're press-fitted in.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:12 PM
WillYart
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
WillYart asked if a gasket resides at the base of the tubes, to which the answer is no, they're press-fitted in.
The spark plug tubes have a top and a bottom. The bottom is somehow attached to the head casting, which is pressurized and contains oil. The top is attached to the valve cover, which is also pressurized and encapsulates the same void that contains oil. Ingress from oil is possible from from either of these two locations. I interested in the former, at the base of the sparkplug tube, not the one at the top. With Aloha, Bill

Old 11-29-2018, 06:52 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
There are rubber grommets that must be replaced when the valve cover gasket is replaced. See the instructions in the below link.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

Old 11-29-2018, 08:05 PM
WillYart
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
Oh actually AoxoMoxoA, your comment was exactly the answer to my question. Thanks. Maybe it's leaking in from there. The head has been to the machine shop and back.