Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

New to me mini ,,idles rough got codes..

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 09:53 AM
jasonshaw501@msn.com
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me mini ,,idles rough got codes..

Hi
Just got a new mini cooper love it !!!!! I could just drive this thing around all night,its awesome! Had the old ones 20 years ago.
Anyways it is just a plain mini 07 149k the guy had pretty good records on visit to the dealership.
Im not sure if its dual or single overhead cam,,from what Ive read its dual but did the VIN thing and looks like its a a single as it says

1.6L OHC 16-valve I4 engine w/variable valve lift timing

When I go to the equipment part of the VIN decoder.

Problem is at idle it runs rough,,,just sitting the idle goes form 8-5 rpm runs good for few seconds then dips down for sec then back up. went to auto zone they put on scanner got these codes P0 300 through P0 304

So Looks like it needs plugs and or coils...not the end of the world, I just find it odd that all 4 would fail at the same time. Also it runs great driving down the road. only runs rough at warm up ( I live in alaska so I warm it in the morning before I go to work} and when you stop at intersections. It will occasionally die when I pull up to intersection but starts right back up.

Also mine does not have heated mirrors,,can you add these ?

Thanks in advance, Happy turkey day!

Also Im a bonehead and used my email as my username is there any way to change your username ?

Last edited by jasonshaw501@msn.com; 11-22-2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: changing acccount
Old 12-23-2018, 08:00 AM
guspi76
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Usual suspects on these cars is the clogged intake ports due to carbon buildup. Easy check, just time consuming to remove everything for the inspection. Another thing that should be done is to get about 3 feet of vacuum hose and replace all the hoses when you have the intake manifold off. Highly recommend to install the catch can on the drivers side and block off the vents on the passenger side. Lastly, with high mileage it would be a good idea to look into replacing the HPFP. Good luck with these issues.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:37 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
You might want to check your fuel pressure at the rail (a can of fuel injector cleaner thru the gas tank also wouldn't hurt next time you fill up). Also, be careful with extended idling. The factory manual actually warns against it as it can create a slew of problems.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:55 AM
jjcsnlynn
5th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by guspi76
Usual suspects on these cars is the clogged intake ports due to carbon buildup. Easy check, just time consuming to remove everything for the inspection. Another thing that should be done is to get about 3 feet of vacuum hose and replace all the hoses when you have the intake manifold off. Highly recommend to install the catch can on the drivers side and block off the vents on the passenger side. Lastly, with high mileage it would be a good idea to look into replacing the HPFP. Good luck with these issues.
Don't want to hijack this thread but what do you mean block off the passenger side? I just bought an OCC to install but it shows just two hoses on the drivers side.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:28 AM
guspi76
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jjcsnlynn
Don't want to hijack this thread but what do you mean block off the passenger side? I just bought an OCC to install but it shows just two hoses on the drivers side.
Go to the Mini dealer parts and tell them to show you the intake manifold drawing for a 2012, N18 engine. By the trottle body you’ll see a cap. Tell them to sell you 2 of those. In your car, the hose that plugs into the back passenger side of the valve cover, pull it and pull it from the intake manifold end. Cap with the two caps purshased from the dealer. Do not do this unless you have installed the catch can on the drivers side.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:32 AM
jjcsnlynn
5th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by guspi76

Go to the Mini dealer parts and tell them to show you the intake manifold drawing for a 2012, N18 engine. By the trottle body you’ll see a cap. Tell them to sell you 2 of those. In your car, the hose that plugs into the back passenger side of the valve cover, pull it and pull it from the intake manifold end. Cap with the two caps purshased from the dealer. Do not do this unless you have installed the catch can on the drivers side.
Do you mean #4 on this diagram?

Old 12-26-2018, 10:46 AM
PEneoark
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had these codes twice. First time, the HPFP was failing. I also got a fuel rail code. Second time, I had two coils die.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:11 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
OP said he had a 'plain' mini, sounds like a non-S?