Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Fault Code 27BA

Old 11-20-2018, 12:29 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fault Code 27BA

Wife had the 1/2 engine light and TPS Light come on(all 4 tires) come on, car was missing. Went and met her at COSTCO gave her our Venza for her to continue her shopping. Drove mine carefully definitely missing. Got home and checked with iCarly came up with a Fault code of 27BA missing on multiple cylinders. 1 & 3 Downloaded Freeze Frame means absolutely nothing to me. Any Idea what going on it was fine earlier this morning. Need to have some idea of what is so I will have an idea of cost to fix it. There was also a EWS-DME 002FD9 code the other day.
Thanks for any help.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:58 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
27BA Lambda Sensor (O2 sensor) Pre Cat Bank 2- Voltage Excursion

Old 11-27-2018, 10:40 AM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Let the Mini sit over holiday. This morning went out cleared the codes and started the car, let idle for few minuets. Using the BMW/Mini App did a diagnoses came up missing on cylinder #3 cleared the codes took it and drove it through the are util it was at operating temp. Use a different Dongle and app to monitor the car. It showed no voltage on one of the O2 Sensors. Yet when I got back to the house and ran other App it showed only the miss on #3 no O2 codes and it show the EWS-DME code, Decided the EWS-DME was a unrelated problem. After thinking about it during lunch went out changed coil between #3 and #4 cleared the codes and reran the test this time it showed miss on #4 so ordered all new coils and plugs as it is nearing the 60K plug change. Got a new DME relay to use when all other stuff get here. Will adjust tire pressure to shut off TPMS light Tire pressure and 29 recommend 35 Happens every year when ti get cold. Next order new Left Tail light housing brake light on working as housing melted where light socket goes. Also order one of Damn special spark plug sockets. This car has been a little of a PETA with it's gremlins but that a Mini and happy wife means happy life. Been Retired since 03 and some of my mechanical/diagnostic skills are rusty.

Tuesday 11/27. Cleared all the codes. set the correct air pressure in the tires. Installed new DME relay, fired it up let warm up and drove it for 20 minuets or so. Using the BMW/Mini App did a scan, all the codes that have come up before are gone all that is left is missing on #4 so will change the Coils and the plug when the parts get here probably Friday. Will have to send the O2 sensor back and it has been shipped. Will use the refund to buy the left real tail light assembly about the same price. Been a learning experience.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:50 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Things can be a little frustrating sometimes, but it doesn’t sound so bad. Since the misfire moved with the coil, I’m inclined to say that new plugs and coils should fix it right up. It’s always nice when you can diagnose something fairly easily. Hope that fixes it... let us know

Old 11-27-2018, 06:58 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Mr. Grumpy

I think putting a new DME relay in help get rid of bunch codes that were confusing me, because I kept getting EWS-DME interface and little research told me a bad relay can cause a bunch issuers, So $17 later had a new OEM relay to try and all that showed up this morning was the miss on #4 after switching the coils.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:29 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Is that after switching the #’s 3 & 4 coils or after replacing them? If I’m reading that right it sounds like you haven’t replaced the plugs and coils yet? If so, hopefully that clears it up.
As for the DME issue...... you can’t beat a fix for under twenty bucks! Those don’t sting so much, lol.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:22 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Before installing the plugs and coils they will here Friday also had to order that goofy splined style Socket from ECS. Have a new Project my sister gave me her Toyota Venza fo use as a kid hauler for the 3 grandkids who live with. Nice car all the bells and whistles. but on of the HID headlight is acting up goes after 90 sec. need to move to the passenger side to see if it's the bulb or the ballast. Car is in great shape the it year 09 and mileage 130K. So tomorrow morning after the dropping kids off at school will move Mini and the Venza into the garage and trouble shoot.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:33 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Right on, sounds like you are busy, especially with with 3 little ones around! Good luck with the headlight. I think the plugs and coils will take care of it, but be sure to let us know for sure. When you have the time, of course. Yep, everyone has to pick up a thin wall plug socket, lol I have 2 now, one for the old stock plugs and a larger one for NGK 1422’s. It is necessary though. Otherwise you may get the socket stuck in the tube. It’s almost happened to me when I grabbed the wrong one! Lol.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:51 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Success the Coils and Plugs arrived a day early. Decided to change the one bad coil to see if that cured the problem. Cleared the Code fire Lulu up no miss, let warm up a little and took it out for a brisk test drive. No problem came home checked for codes none except for the left rear brake light out, All I changed was the one DME relay and the bad coil. Since I bought a new O2 Sensor and don't need will return it and get the LR Tail light assembly. Will change the rest of the Coils and install new plugs when spark plug gets her or will wait until the 60K service in 3K miles and do the 60K probably after the Holidays. Thanks for all you help it work the little bugger is fun to drive, wife is happy life is good.

Tom