Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

time to replace exhaust system need advice

Old 10-16-2018, 06:33 PM
bbqbyrds
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time to replace exhaust system need advice

my 2005 s is about ready to have the exhaust system replaced. Don't know for sure if partial or entire but want to be prepared for the worst case .I'm in chicagoland, where do I go? Anyone have a recommendation for a good shop? Looking for stock replacement, no special mod type for extra loudness..I like it just the way it came. And price? Anyone have any info?

Old 10-16-2018, 09:53 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Swapping an exhaust on an R53 doesn't take anything special or special skills as it's just a bolt on so most exh shops should be able to do it cheap.

If you want to go stock you will quickly find out the stock exhaust is really expensive for what it is. So if you really want stock I would try to find a used one.

But personally if your car came in our shop I'd just put a Stratmosphere or Milltek on it is as it is more cost effective and will gain you HP and torque while reducing weight and doesn't drone.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/02-06-...mance/exhaust/

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-17-2018, 04:52 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by bbqbyrds
Looking for stock replacement, no special mod type for extra loudness..I like it just the way it came. And price? Anyone have any info?
Start checking your local junkyards or Craigslist, that is going to be your cheapest spot for a stock exhaust. Be aware there are some differences with exhaust hangers between early and later R53s.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:21 AM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
I bought the MillTek and installed it about two weeks ago on my 05 S.
Fits well, the tips are nicely centered in the bumper cover cutout. Mine is about flush with the bumper cover (doesn't stick out past the bumper). Still fairly quiet, but a small step louder than the JCW exhaust. The rear two mufflers are tucked up nicely where they aren't in the air stream or easy to see. No cutting required.

As noted, an easy swap. The most difficult part is removing the silicone hangers from the stock system..!

Mike

Old 12-05-2018, 09:54 AM
bbqbyrds
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OCR, Which MilTek did you go with ? System Number: SSXM006 cat back resonated? Is everything needed included.I am not planning on doing this work , but finding a local shop to install for me when I'm ready

Old 12-05-2018, 11:39 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
I waited until Way put the Milltek on sale and bought a resonated version. Had it installed recently; fit and finish are first class.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:34 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
bbqbyrds wrote -
OCR, Which MilTek did you go with ? System Number: SSXM006 cat back resonated? Is everything needed included.I am not planning on doing this work , but finding a local shop to install for me when I'm ready

Don't recall the part number, but yes, the full cat-back system with the resonator (it's actually just a straight thru muffler).
Has a little deeper sound than the JCW system. It actually eliminated much of the flat spot around 3000rpm of the part throttle acceleration that my car had. The "Y" at the back could have been designed/assembled a bit better and with larger tubing more like the JCW system. The mufflers are small and tucked up well near the floor. They don't hang down and look bad. The front muffler (resonator) is a straight thru, perforated core muffler. Little to no restriction there.

Overall, it fits nicely, no complaints, very easy to install. The tips fit well in the bumper cover like the OEM tips. Gaskets and fasteners are included, you do not need to buy anything else.
The hardest part is removing the factory silicone system hangers from the stock system !

Hope this helps.

Mike