Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Need a little help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 11:54 AM
smlippoldt
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a little help!!!

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper S with a bunch of error codes. Can anyone help?

5DF4
5E5C
5DA1
5DA0
5E40

Old 09-30-2018, 02:08 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 737 Likes on 521 Posts
5DF4 is system voltage LESS than 9 volts --- it may be a good idea to address this issue first --- check battery voltage and see what you got.

The other codes appear to be DSC related,
see here:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...Code_Chart.pdf

Old 10-01-2018, 07:29 AM
smlippoldt
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked the battery voltage already and its good and has a new battery too

Old 10-01-2018, 11:39 AM
bergie33
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What symptoms accompanied the error codes? Did it go into limp mode?

Old 10-01-2018, 01:21 PM
Dannorth
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
5DF4 system voltage < 9V
5DA0 Wheel speed sensor (front right) electrical failure
5DA1 Wheel speed sensor (front right) plausibility at speed > 40km/h
5E40 Steering angle sensor signal not plausible
5E5C Initialize Run Flat Indicator

I would start by checking the fuses and grounds. Bad grounds can cause all kinds of weird problems.

Next, inspect the front wheel speed sensors. On mine, the PO had not properly secured the wiring harness for the front right sensor, and it rubbed on the crank pulley until it cut through the wire. Pull the front tires and fender liners and take a good look at the wiring.

If the wiring looks ok, try swapping the sensors left and right, reset the faults and try again. If the fault travels to the Left front, replace that sensor.

If it stays with the front right, take a good look at the wheel bearing. If it runs smoothly, then you'll be looking at inspecting the wiring to the ABS module.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Just because you have a new battery, doesn't mean your charging system is in good order. What is the battery voltage at rest? Can you start the car? I doubt it would crank over with less than 9 volts.

Once you have the motor running, check the voltage. If the voltage is less than 12.5 volts, it's likely that it is not charging. The car will shut down non essential sub systems like power steering, A/C, radio and so on to keep the motor from eventually dying. Do you have a voltmeter? If not, you can also use the car's built in OBD diag (if you have this option) via the hidden menu

How many miles does your car have? Have you had electrical problems in the past? Ever change your alternator?

Old 10-02-2018, 03:44 PM
bergie33
1st Gear
It is possible you could have an issue with the Crank Pulley. When mine was going bad it was showing up with charging issues. The pulley wasn't always allowing the belt to turn the alternator.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:48 PM
400mphpc
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bergie33
It is possible you could have an issue with the Crank Pulley. When mine was going bad it was showing up with charging issues. The pulley wasn't always allowing the belt to turn the alternator.
How did you decide it was the crank pulley vs the alternator? My car just did the same thing tonight on the way home and my scanner is telling me it’s the alternator. Just curious was there something you could see when you started pulling things apart? I was also watching my volt amps on Dash Command and it jumped up to 14.3 for a while, the battery light went off. 10 min later, it went back to 12.1 and the light was back on...

sorry to hijack this thread - seems we both have a similar issue

Last edited by 400mphpc; 10-02-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:08 PM
bergie33
1st Gear
Honestly I was asking the same questions originally. Mine went into limp mode under load and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. After letting it idle, revving it, testing the voltage, etc, finally I noticed that the belt wasn't turning, but part of the crank pulley was. It started smelling like burning rubber. Also, there was a bit of rubber dust down below the crank pulley. You can also look on the engine around the crank pulley and see if there are any wear marks... When the pulley starts to go it starts rubbing on the engine a little.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:12 PM
400mphpc
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bergie33
Honestly I was asking the same questions originally. Mine went into limp mode under load and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. After letting it idle, revving it, testing the voltage, etc, finally I noticed that the belt wasn't turning, but part of the crank pulley was. It started smelling like burning rubber. Also, there was a bit of rubber dust down below the crank pulley. You can also look on the engine around the crank pulley and see if there are any wear marks... When the pulley starts to go it starts rubbing on the engine a little.
Thanks for the extra tips. Looks like I have some garage time coming up.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:18 PM
bergie33
1st Gear
I did all my troubleshooting without removing anything. All I used was a flashlight and a volt meter.

The following users liked this post:
400mphpc (10-02-2018)