Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

New Guy, New to me Car, Old problem....

Old 06-09-2018, 05:48 PM
MRundel
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy, New to me Car, Old problem....

I bought a 08 Mini S with a dealer installed JCW package last week. Drove it and a GTI and there was no choice, the Mini was way more fun. Traded a 06 Corvette and don't regret the change. Now after learning about the inherent problems, I'm not second guessing the decision but facing the inevitable.

I took my wife out for supper. Heard a little rattle on cold start up. Drove 20 miles to dinner on the lake. After dinner on start up, a more pronounced rattle. No noise after startup however. So I figure I'll be on the phone first of the week searching for a competent shop to determine what's up. I'm in SouthWest Missouri with no local Mini dealer, (nearest are KC, St. Louis or Little Rock) there'a BMW dealer in Springfield and several independent shops but I'm not sure who has Mini experience. The car has 84K on it so if it is the dreaded "death rattle" with this many miles what all should I have done if it has to be down for repairs? Water pump? Vacuum pump? Thermostat? And how much should I budget for repairs?

Old 06-09-2018, 06:04 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
This should help with locating a Mini shop.

https://www.minirepairshops.com/

Old 06-10-2018, 03:58 PM
MRundel
1st Gear
I let the car set approximately 18 hours and then checked oil and viewed the tensioner, It has the dimple in the head so a sign of an upgrade. Oil was full. Hit the starter and no rattle. I let it sit another 5 hours and checked again, no rattle. The local family owned used car dealership where I bought it changed the oil but I don't know what kind they put in it. I'll call tomorrow and if necessary, change it over to a proper synthetic. Can that make a difference? If so, what to use, Mobile 1 or Castrol?

Old 06-10-2018, 04:16 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I use Mobil 1 0W 40, it was one of the alternate lubricants recommended by MINI until is wasn't rated LL-01, for long life oil. I change my oil every 5000 miles, so the LL-01 rating doesn't matter.

Be sure to use an OEM oil filter they don't cost any more than other brands, but some people have had problems with aftermarket oil filters.

This is where I got mine,

https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo...er_6_pack.html

Be sure to check the oil weekly and keep the level at the top of the dipstick. My MINI uses about a quart every 5000 miles, some use more. They only hold about 4.5 quarts of oil, so it is important to keep it topped up.

MINIs have a weird water pump/ thermostat, unless you have a coolant leak at the waterpump, you will be OK.

If you have an automatic transmission, you should change the transmission fluid. They say it is "lifetime" fluid, but that is nonsense.
There are tutorials available here to show you how.

Last edited by DneprDave; 06-10-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:04 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
If you have an automatic transmission, you should change the transmission fluid. They say it is "lifetime" fluid, but that is nonsense. There are tutorials available here to show you how.

Regardless of transmission type, you should change it.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:49 PM
MRundel
1st Gear
I know I'm a new guy but wouldn't an automatic on a MCS with a JCW package be sacrilegious? Mine has the 6 speed.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:00 AM
MRundel
1st Gear
Follow Up.
I started the car this morning. There's a sound like a heat shield rattle for one second, then nothing but a smooth, quiet engine. I checked with the car lot that sold it to me, they changed oil with Castrol Synthetic 0-20 weight. Is that too thin? Is the tensioner pressure fed and leaking down resulting in the rattle until re-pressurized on start up? Should I try a new tensioner just to be on the safe side? Thanks again to all of you who responded with helpful suggestions so far.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
It should have Castrol 5W-30 synthetic, if you are running Castrol..

Old 06-11-2018, 08:04 AM
MRundel
1st Gear
So am I ahead to drain out the 0-20 and replace with 5-30? Does the tensioner adjust by oil pressure or spring tension? New tensioner are relatively cheap, would I be ahead to change? Thanks

Old 06-11-2018, 08:55 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
They are both hydraulic and spring tensioned.

Try putting 5W-30 in it and see if that stops the noise.

Here are some interesting articles about the timing chain tensioner, there was a recall.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-recall-431160

More information.
https://hausofminis.com/2015/05/is-i...n-mini-cooper/

If you can't get a free one from the dealer.
https://www.outmotoring.com/11317607...tensioner.html

Old 06-13-2018, 06:42 PM
MRundel
1st Gear
Another follow up: I drained the 0-20 weight out and filled with 5-30 Castrol. 4.5 quarts. Double checked, its showing full. If I let it sit for 4-5 hours, upon start up I get a less than a second of rattle that sounds like a heat shield. If I shut it down and start it up again, no noise. Once started, I can rev it up, no noise. It doesn't have the same rattle noise I've heard on the sound files found on the net depicting the 'death rattle".

So learned ones, is this the start of the "death rattle" or likely something else, and if so, what?

Old 06-14-2018, 07:34 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Have you looked at the engine when it is making the sound? Maybe it is a heat shield.

My car sometimes make a short sound when starting cold, that's about 5% of the time, I don't worry about it. I have the original chain tensioner that came with the car new.

If you are still concerned, put the newest chain tensioner in your car, I've read that it has a stronger spring than the older tensioners.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:22 AM
MRundel
1st Gear
The sound is so quick, and only happens on a cold start up, I haven't been able to be looking under the hood. I also wonder if it could be something with the AC compressor since we are in the midst of heat and humidity here in Missouri and once the system pressurizes upon start up, its good to go. I'll turn off the AC on the next cold start up to see if that has an impact.

I will go ahead and order a new tensioner for peace of mind.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:28 AM
dmyer
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have the shop check the for timing chain stretch... that is the real issue... if it is within spec... you will have peace of mind. Only takes a few minutes to check. My mini dealer will check it for free when I get an oil change (not that I would let them actually do the repair!)