Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

My Battle Against P0015, Round 2, Front Exhaust VANOS Solenoid Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 09:13 AM
kurtsunn
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Battle Against P0015, Round 2, Front Exhaust VANOS Solenoid Replacement

I think I may have won my battle with DTC code P0015! Cleaning the front solenoid worked for about 50 kms, so today I decided just to replace it with one of a pair I got off of eBay (only about $70 for two!). Here are some pictures of the procedure and a few things to consider if you want to do it yourself.
  1. I learned from trying to clean the solenoid, that some oil does come out, so I put an old t-shirt underneath the catch any oil and catch the bolt if it fell (I didn't have a replacement if it did fall, so i was paranoid about that happening);
  2. Removing the electrical connector isn't terribly intuitive. You have to pull UP and OUTWARD on the tab (I used a small screwdriver) and it will release, but by looking at it, it seems that you have to press something IN to release it;
  3. The 10mm bolt that holds the solenoid is in an awkward position, made worse by the location of the dipstick. I used an extension about 4" to reach it. It's best to loosen the bolt with your socket and then by hand with extension and socket, remove it. To avoid it falling out of the socket, you have to sort of angle it upward and you should be able to get it out without falling;
  4. Putting in the new solenoid is pretty straight forward, just start threading the bolt by hand and it will stay and then you can tighten with the socket;
  5. I panicked when the connected didn't fit AS snuggly as the original part, it required a bit more force to connect than the original and I thought maybe the part didn't fit. It doesn't "click" in as solidly as the original but with some force it connected securely; I'll have to keep an eye on it, but it seems secure now.
  6. After half a day of driving ... SUCCESS!!!!! NO MORE P0015 - knocking on wood .... will report back after more kms driven .....
If this fails, I have the rear (intake) VANOS that I'll do (was getting less frequent P0012 codes) and then I'll add the newer timing chain tensioner while I'm back there... then if all that fails, I'll be bugging everyone for timing chain replacement suggestions .... lol ....

Old 05-10-2018, 05:56 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Good job

The following users liked this post:
kurtsunn (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 07:30 AM
kurtsunn
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
HAPPY UPDATE: 6 days later, still no CEL!!!!!! (A record since bought used.) Take that P0015!

The pessimist in me thinks it may just be the warmer weather ... lol ... knocking on wood ...

Old 07-28-2018, 12:12 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Ugh, I had to have both of mine replaced within a month of buying my R60, and it was not cheap. At the time I was still nervous about working on it myself so I paid someone to do it. Wish I just done it myself and saved about $800, lol. I know what you mean, for a while there it seemed like I was going into limp mode every day at least once. I swear you could look at the car sideways and it would trigger limp mode! Lol.
After some work (new turbo for one thing) I can finally drive with confidence that it won’t do it anymore (until something else breaks) but for now, it’s glorious to not hear that Damn alert sound!