Urgent Help Needed! - North American Motoring

Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Urgent Help Needed!

Old 01-12-2018, 02:08 PM
2nd Gear

Urgent Help Needed!

I was driving back from a restaurant with my wife, when we suddenly heard what sounded like a bag or some trash caught under the car. A moment later the light on the dash said the battery wasn't charging.

I quickly realised the drive belt had self-destructed!

I stopped and pulled the remaining bits of belt out from under the car. I didn't want them doing more damage flying around. Here I found the emergency jack was not the correct Mini one, but from a VW! It doesn't fit the jack support. Damn you previous owner! Got the job done though.

Luckily for us, we were very nearly home and got there just as the engine overheat light came up. Water pump is belt driven!

I need a new drive belt, but I am not sure which size?

I have an N14 engine. Cooper S 2007. The shop here have two belts listed for my car:

Contitech 6PK894
Contitech 6PK906

Which do I need to get my hands on?

I can't check the old belt, it is ribbons now.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear

You need the Contitech 6PK906.
The Following User Says Thank You to seandallen For This Useful Post:
wandrur (01-14-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 06:18 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2018, 11:13 PM

Nice save.

Check realoem.com for the MINI part number, then one of our forum vendors for ordering the part. There's a DIY in the How To forum, and it really helps if you have the tool for releasing the belt tension pulley. (co-incidentally, I happen to have one for sale in the classifieds. )
Old 01-13-2018, 10:45 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum View Post
Nice save.

Check realoem.com for the MINI part number, then one of our forum vendors for ordering the part. There's a DIY in the How To forum, and it really helps if you have the tool for releasing the belt tension pulley. (co-incidentally, I happen to have one for sale in the classifieds. )

What he said.... not too difficult to do.... but you absolutely need the special mini tool to release the tensioner. Don't buy the one from mini.... overpriced just like everything else... get a generic brand online for 1/2 the price. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 PM
2nd Gear

I got the job done today. The tensioner is way too strong to push from underneather as I had thought.

However my helpful neighbour slipped the belt around the top pulley (Alternator) as I levered the tensioner using a tyre lever from above just a few millimetres. Then we put it around the main crank pulley and again I levered the tensioner as he worked the belt over the AC pulley. It was a pain but it went okay.