Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

URGENT help needed from Wilwood brake users

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 12:01 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
URGENT help needed from Wilwood brake users

I was trying to put in my wilwood 12.16 street kit for my 03 Cooper S, however, when we tried to fit the new stainless hose into the factory bracket, the thread was made for a SAE, while the hose tap was for a metric!

am i doing something wrong? i do know the elbow joint that came with my stainless lines is suppose to go into the caliper, im talking about the other end of the stainless brake line, we tried to tighten the other end into the brake line from the master cylinder

Old 09-24-2005, 01:38 PM
brobinson333
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re urgent help

The only problem I had with the line was that the hole in the bracket on the inner panel was a little too small. I had to use a drill to make it bigger. The threads from the factory steel line threaded into the stainless line with no problem. Maybe they sent you the wrong lines?

Old 09-24-2005, 02:56 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not sure who you got the kit from (you might have called them first before posting this) but some of the kits shipped from me, for me, and for Webb contained some incorrectly fitted hose ends.

This was a mistake on the part of Goodridge really but never less I'm here to help correct it for you. This hose kit was one using no adapter fittings and has a center support boss for the strut housing.

If you purchased this from another Wilwood dealer you'll need to contact that dealer for a proper WW hose kit.

If you find yourself in a real bad way currently you might find a local speed shop who can cut and replace the current end with what you need. Or at least fit a -3AN Female to it and get you the correct M10-1.0 bubble flare adapter fitting. Not at all difficult for a local race shop either.

Please email me if you have any additional questions. toddandchris1@***.net

Old 09-24-2005, 08:52 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
i believe this is not an equipment issue, but rather i think its an install issue, as the seller told me personally all the other kits that went out with the gb fitted perfectly with no issues

to put it simply, the oem hose at the 'u bracket' in between the 'line that goes from the brake reservoir' to the 'line that goes to the caliper' is very tight, and that the 'line that goes to the caliper' is unable to spin on its own axis

however, the new line is able to spin on its own axis, and that the 'u bracket' is loose no matter how tight we tighten the two sides...

i hope this is making sense

Old 09-25-2005, 05:26 AM
vader
4th Gear
If this is the area you are speaking of:

I also was unable to get this as tight as the factory line. The fitting between the two lines is tight but the mounting to the bracket is where the problem was. At frst attempt, the upper u-bracket just spun around. There were some clips in my kit but they didn't seem to go here.

Old 09-25-2005, 06:57 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
yeah that's the one! we didnt test if there was any leaks, but is it possible to just wrap the line with some high temp silicone?

how'd you manage to solve the issue?

Old 09-25-2005, 07:49 AM
vader
4th Gear
I fabricated a clip that fit around the new line fitting and bent the top clip some. As I said, it's snug, not tight. I can twist it with my hand but it's not going anywhere. The fitting between two two lines is as tight as it shoud be. I would think that you could secure the line to the bracked in many ways. I stayed away from tape because it doesn't last.

Since I have my wheels off at least every 3k miles, I've added this to my inspection list to make sure that my fabricated soultion is holding. So far, so good.