Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

FOB/key/hood latch

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 05:17 PM
Melly Fresh
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOB/key/hood latch

I have a 2009 Clubman. I cannot get into it or start it. The FOB doesn't work and the manual key won't open the door. Its been a week. We have had extreme cold weather the last week so thought maybe that was the problem. Warmed up the key hole. Nothing. Our other car wouldn't start so we bought a portable car battery charger. Hoping that will work for the mini. But we need to get in it first lol. Is there a way to open the hood of the car without having to pull the release latch inside the car? Or any other suggestions??

Old 01-04-2018, 03:15 PM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Melly Fresh
I have a 2009 Clubman. I cannot get into it or start it. The FOB doesn't work and the manual key won't open the door. Its been a week. We have had extreme cold weather the last week so thought maybe that was the problem. Warmed up the key hole. Nothing. Our other car wouldn't start so we bought a portable car battery charger. Hoping that will work for the mini. But we need to get in it first lol. Is there a way to open the hood of the car without having to pull the release latch inside the car? Or any other suggestions??
You should be able to unlock the door, even with a dead battery. The key lock should not be disabled because of the dead battery. When you turn the key, does the little door lock thing pop up inside the window?

You need to figure out what is not working, is it the lock, or the door mechanism.

More info, please.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Melly Fresh
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No

Originally Posted by leftfield6
You should be able to unlock the door, even with a dead battery. The key lock should not be disabled because of the dead battery. When you turn the key, does the little door lock thing pop up inside the window?

You need to figure out what is not working, is it the lock, or the door mechanism.

More info, please.
Nothing works. The key doesn't turn. Nothing pops up. The car is a literal paper weight.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:46 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
if the battery is dead and you tried wiggling the key while trying to open it and it didnt work, try this method:

jack up the car, using the battery charger, place the positive alligator clip into the starter bolt (the bolt that holds a thick red wire) and the negative alligator clip into the chassis.

as soon as you connect it, have someone open the door either via remote or manually with key.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:33 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
http://www.psmini.org/forum/locked-o...topic5789.html same problem here - one of the posts was very interesting, saying you might have to turn the key further than you would think to get the lock to mechanically actuate. I did notice this too when my battery was dying last year, when I tried opening the car with the key the lock would actuate really sluggishly.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:48 PM
ohiojcw
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You can get the hood popped from the underside of the car, requires jacking it up... I had my hood cable seperate at the underhood junction... made a diagram of how I did it here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...roke-help.html

Hope that helps.