Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

xenon headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:31 PM
Conway
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xenon headlights

I am tired of having to replace my xenon headlight housings and having my local mechanic pin my headlights in place every time the plastic piece that attaches them to the auto leveling motor breaks. Currently both of my headlight housings have broken auto leveling systems and I need to replace them ASAP as my headlights currently are pointing at the ground about 10ft in front of my car. I found these online and they are supposed to be as close as you can get to aftermarket OEM headlight housings, without paying the premium price for the ones direct from MINI. It's debatable weather they have the auto leveling feature, but I would prefer they don't so I am not in this mess again. So, does anyone have inexperience with this problem or have purchased these headlights? Also if it helps these are for a 2005 R52 Mini Cooper S Cabrio.

Last edited by Conway; 12-24-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:19 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Moving this to the Stock Problems/Issues area. Should get more views.

The following users liked this post:
Conway (12-24-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 09:13 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Hella’s are the OEM supplier for the headlights so they should be identical to your current headlights. Also, auto leveling is required by the DOT for xenons so any DOT certified replacement would have them.

Does the ball and socket keep popping loose inside your headlights? Slamming the hood or hitting really bad bumps and pot holes usually is the cause for them to pop loose. After your mechanic fixes them, how long are they lasting before they point down again?

Last edited by RB-MINI; 12-22-2017 at 09:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RB-MINI:
Conway (12-24-2017), robj (01-02-2020)
Old 12-22-2017, 01:30 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
We have these options if you need stock: Hellas are OEM for the 7/2004+ xenon. They are the same just dont have the MINI logo on them.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eadlights.html

I have seen this happen from slamming the hood hard. I have seen them pop back in, but if they ball holder is broken on both them they will need replacing.

Another option: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...installed.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-24-2017, 02:50 PM
Conway
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
Hella’s are the OEM supplier for the headlights so they should be identical to your current headlights. Also, auto leveling is required by the DOT for xenons so any DOT certified replacement would have them.

Does the ball and socket keep popping loose inside your headlights? Slamming the hood or hitting really bad bumps and pot holes usually is the cause for them to pop loose. After your mechanic fixes them, how long are they lasting before they point down again?
The ball and sockets did that for a while and they would stay for a month or so, but now they are completely broken and won't stay long enough for me to get home from the mechanics. On top of that I am not going to college in Jacksonville and the expressways there are under constant construction, so I would rather get them replaced than keep making visits to the mechanic.

Also, on CARiD's website they are selling the Hella replacements for $474.05 each as opposed to the $800+ that most other sites, dealerships, and mechanics want for each housing. Do you know of any other sites that may have the housings for a similar price? Because CARiD is currently out of stock of the driver's side housings.

Side note; my MINI is an '05 made after July 2004, so pre 7/2004 housings are not something I'm looking for. And I'm not too concerned about staying perfectly stock, just as close as I can without spending a ridiculous amount of money.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:25 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
The driver side for hella is now NLA, Hella directly told us this and the passenger side will most likely go nla here soon. Think MINI bought up all the hella stock. The " AL " automotive lighting ( oe for certain BMW applications) and Magneti Marelli (aslo OE for some MINI) have coverage where Hella is not making them anymore. We have them linked above.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172