Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

FOB rusted. Not able to release hatch back

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:23 PM
miniMooji
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOB rusted. Not able to release hatch back

Hello, Can anyone out there know how to manually close and open the trunk (hatch back of Super S Mini Cooper 2007)without using the remote? Just found out it would cost at least $483 to get the FOB replaced and reprogrammed!!! What the heck?! The trunk can remain unlocked. I have no problem with that. Just need to open and close.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:24 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
If you use the unlock toggle switch on the dash, the hatch still won't open? If that's the case, the problem is either the switch in the hatch handle or the lock solenoid. Why do you think it's a fob problem?

Old 10-19-2017, 05:33 PM
miniMooji
2nd Gear
RKW,
OMG!! Didn't know about this switch. Thank you and it works! So relieved. I was going to have to live with it but for you. THANK YOU!

Old 10-20-2017, 09:10 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
If you click unlock twice on the keyfob, everything (both doors and hatch) will unlock. Also, there is a setting to make the car unlock everything on the first click.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:05 AM
miniMooji
2nd Gear
RKW, Oh, so sorry I didn't mention it! The keyfob is trashed: dropped it in water and it got rusted. Anyway, this message gives me another chance to express my gratitude. Thank you!

Old 10-21-2017, 09:56 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
So does it have any remote functions? A water logged keyfob is tricky business but I might be able to fix it. You should really have a spare fob anyway. You'll really be torked off if this key stops allowing the car to start, which is a common problem with these keys. Not saying that dropping it in water will make that happen (it happens randomly) but it sure won't help the situation.
Keys and all MINI parts are cheaper at MINI of Peabody so try them when you are ready to get a second key. For this model the keys should arrive ready to use (without your car needing to be programmed; cars are programmed/coded, not keys.)

Val

Old 10-21-2017, 01:50 PM
miniMooji
2nd Gear
Thank you Val,
Fob is slightly rusted. You indeed maybe able to fix. Need to have a back up before I send this to you. So the fob would not need programming? How much do you think it would cost to get same from Peabody? The fob does not work at all. Tried all manner of clicking buttons: no results.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:21 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
For a spare key, you can purchase one from the dealer that doesn't have remote electronics. It is much cheaper than the full feature fob.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:14 PM
miniMooji
2nd Gear
Rkw, Excuse my abysmal ignorance 1. Does it have to be gotten from a dealer? 2. if the fob has no remote access can I still insert it and get the car to start? I'm assuming I read you right. Then why the heck did the dealer not mention that? And mentioned a $350 price tag at the first dealership and a $483 price tag at the second dealership?

Last edited by miniMooji; 10-21-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:26 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by miniMooji
1. Does it have to be gotten from a dealer? 2. if the fob has no remote access can I still insert it and get the car to start? I'm assuming I read you right. Then why the heck did the dealer not mention that?
Yes, the key must be purchased from a dealer. The dealer must order a key from BMW that has a smartchip encoded for your VIN, which allows it to start the car. I don't know what you discussed with the dealer, but they must have assumed that you wanted a full working replacement for your current keyfob. Ask specifically for a spare key without remote functions.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:16 AM
miniMooji
2nd Gear
RKW, Most appreciated! Thank you. It would be easy to assume that I wanted a full working fob. No fault to the dealer.
This wouldn't have come up except that Val suggested he may be able to fix my current slightly rusted fob and I would need a back up so I could mail the old one to him to fix.

Last edited by miniMooji; 10-22-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:12 PM
miniMooji
2nd Gear
Val, RKW,
Having spent an hour today back and forth between Mini of Ontario (California) and Mini of Peabody back East, the long and short is to get an fob for my mini, it will cost $263. My Mini Cooper Super S 2007 has what the Peabody parts person called a "comfort.?." (Didn't catch the last word) so it didn't qualify for the cheaper version @ $46. Well, this will have to wait till next year...