Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 01:28 AM
monica117
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission leak

I recently took my 2003 mini cooper (basic, 5 speed) to my mechanic to diagnose an oil leak. He is a regular mechanic who is able to work on my mini and I just have to supply the parts. He told me I needed an engine oil pan gasket, which was something several of you told me could possibly be the problem, so thank you.

While he was under the car he told me I may also have a transmission fluid leak. He said he cleaned up the underside of the car and I should drive around and come back the following week so he could observe where the leaking was accumulating.

Today was the day to stop in again and have him take a look. I was expecting him to tell me what part I would need to order, but instead he said it was the seal on the transmission itself, and it was not work he could do. He referred me to a transmission shop.

So I drove there next and told the guys there what my mechanic told me and they put it up on a lift and confirmed it. They said it was a labor intensive job (about 10 hours total - 5 to take it out and 5 to put it back in). They remove it and then a guy from MD comes and picks it up (I am in PA) and reseals it and brings it back about 3 or 4 days later. The guy at the transmission shop said it would probably be a good idea to replace the clutch at the same time. It is the original clutch from what he could tell and I have 145,000 miles on the car.

I got the car second hand in 2012 when it was 9 years old and had 117,000 miles on it. The Car Facts report told me I was the 8th owner, so I have no idea what work has been done to this car. The car was purchased quickly for me because I was having repeated stalling problems with my 17 year old Geo Metro.

Anyway.....I was just wondering if anyone else had a transmission leak like this. My bill to get everything done is $1,900. I'm not in a position to get a new car, or another used car for that matter. I had plans to replace the water pump, drive belt, tensioner thermostat and housing due to the age and mileage on the car, but thiiiiis changes all of that for now.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:26 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Going to move you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

Sounds like the rear main seal, was it oil or transmission fluid/gear oil? If it was the engine main seal, there is a stop leak product you can buy at an autoparts store. It may work and it may not but if it even slows the leak up it may be worth it. With those miles it is tough to put $2,000 into the car.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
How bad a leak is it? I don't normally recommend snake oil treatments however this is the one product I used that actually worked -

ATP AT-205 Re-Seal Stops Leaks, 8 Ounce Bottle

If fluid is pouring out probably wont help but otherwise it is worth the money to give it a try.

It sealed up all my weeping seals on the engine in a 98 BMW 540i.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:10 PM
monica117
2nd Gear
Hi r53coop, thanks for your reply.

You asked "was it oil or transmission fluid/gear oil?"

When my mechanic initially looked under the car to investigate the oil leak he discovered oil mixed with transmission fluid. That's when he told me that I needed the engine pan gasket.

When he looked under the car again yesterday he only mentioned transmission fluid.

I called the transmission place back again this morning to ask your question if it was a rear main seal leak or an engine main seal leak. He said it is the transmission case housing. He said I could not monitor the level of transmission fluid on my own (like with oil and coolant) and would have to pay to have someone put it on a lift each time....and that if I ran out of fluid completely that would be bad, and would be a lot more expensive.

I appreciate your honesty, and understand your comment about spending $1900 on a car that is 14 years old with high mileage.

Thanks for your reply, too, Minnie.the.Moocher. I don't think the leak is bad, and wondered if this would work when it is the transmission case housing?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
No guarantee ! Your regular mechanic should be able to add it for you. I was surprised it worked, never expected it to.

• Professional strength fast acting resealer, stops leaks fast
  • Rejuvenates all rubber seals & gaskets in engines, transmissions, power steering, differentials and hydraulic systems
  • Compatible with conventional and synthetic oils, ATF, gear oil, power steering fluids and hydraulic oil
  • Does not contain petroleum distillates, will not over-swell or breakdown seals
  • 8oz bottle will treat a 6 quart capacity, adjust accordingly

Old 08-11-2017, 01:40 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
My son's car had a slow leak in the transfer case. Bought another drain plug, drilled it, threaded it and put a brass plumbing fitting you can but at any Home Depot type store. Then bought a length of hose and a dip stick. Used a hose clamp to put the hose onto the brass fitting. Put the new plug/fitting in the higher hole. Can check the level and fill from the same tube. Do not need to jack the car up to check or fill it anymore. Had maybe $30 in parts.

The area around his toyota was allot tighter than a MINI so it would be pretty easy to do the same thing. I am thinking the 5 speed drain and check holes are in the same relative place (facing the passenger side)

Old 08-11-2017, 09:36 PM
monica117
2nd Gear
Wow r53coop. I wish I could say I understood everything you said (or even some of it!!) but I would be lying. I think it's great that you found such a creative work-around for your son's car. It sounds like something macgyver would do! You have made me pause to think about what I should do. I really don't honestly know. I appreciate your replies.

Originally Posted by r53coop
My son's car had a slow leak in the transfer case. Bought another drain plug, drilled it, threaded it and put a brass plumbing fitting you can but at any Home Depot type store. Then bought a length of hose and a dip stick. Used a hose clamp to put the hose onto the brass fitting. Put the new plug/fitting in the higher hole. Can check the level and fill from the same tube. Do not need to jack the car up to check or fill it anymore. Had maybe $30 in parts.

The area around his toyota was allot tighter than a MINI so it would be pretty easy to do the same thing. I am thinking the 5 speed drain and check holes are in the same relative place (facing the passenger side)

Old 08-21-2017, 02:53 PM
monica117
2nd Gear
Update...
In the end, and it was not an easy decision, I have decided not to get the repairs done. The clutch was one huge expense (because of the flywheel) in addition to the transmission leak. I was also hoping to soon replace the tensioner, drive belt, thermostat and housing, and water pump. It's just too much expense for me.

Incidentally, I found out that my transmission leak would not have benefited from one of those bottled leak fix products. The transmission guy said that works for leaks where the rubber seals are involved. Unfortunately, my leak is in the case housing, and he said it on the seam, where the two halves of the transmission fit together.

Anyway, I have enjoyed the 5 years with my mini very much. Thanks to all who have replied and helped me on this site for the various parts I have needed during that time.