Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Rattle noise only when turning wheel or sometimes in motion, need help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 04:01 PM
minibennorway
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle noise only when turning wheel or sometimes in motion, need help ASAP!

Hello!

I had my MINI for a month, last week I decided to replace my timing chain tenisor to a new one. So I did, to ensure that the I will never face a problem with the timing chain. As it was swapped in 2012 by BMW because timing chain failure. Now the engine runs more smooth. BUT now I have noticed a rattle sound when Im turning the wheel around 1500-3k revs. And it's sound really loud and bad, like metal against plastic. The strange thing is when the car is stasionary and Im revving it, I can't hear the rattle.. no rattle at all... only when turning or the car in motion.
I also got a to messages about low oil pressure, when corning right, but it goes away after to seconds.. checked the oil, and it is where it should be at the pin..

Picture is from the old chain tenisor and the new chain tenisor orginal part from MINI, it was tighten to 65nm/48ibs as MINI say's.

What can it be?
Oil pump/vacuum pump?
Need help ASAP.

Greetings from Norway!

Attached Thumbnails Rattle noise only when turning wheel or sometimes in motion, need help ASAP!-ny-starmmer-og-gammel.jpg  
Old 06-25-2017, 01:16 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You'll need to localize the sound a bit more. If it only makes it during turn is it either direction or just one. Is it an acceleration and turn or just turn. Is the turn on an incline? Does it do it accelerating straight? Can you record the sound? That low oil pressure error is your main clue. I'd investigate any signs of oil leaks too. Where in the engine bay is it coming from?

Old 07-05-2017, 11:35 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I have heard of this and its low oil 99% of the time. My guess is to check the oil again. The oil stick is hard to read and with the early MINIs burning so much oil through the PCV system, I would check that out.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-dipstick.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172