Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

over heating

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:23 AM
vendetta083
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
over heating

hey guys,
im having a issue with my cooling system. my coolant is coming out the reservoir at exactly 97 degrees Celsius. tried everything to purge but i'm noticing i still have a lot of air in the system. this caused a bigger problem because me not knowing was confused as to why my coolant fan would not work at low speed. not knowing low speed kicks in at 105 degrees. sadly i changed everything i cud down to the ecu/dme . now we realize im overheating at 97 degrees. anyone had this problem? or have any ideas? car has new head gasket new water pump thermostat coolant sensor. i believe it has a new oil cooler heat exchange as well. out of ideas!!!!!
oh ye its a 2002 R53

Old 05-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Going to move this to the Gen1 Stock Problems/Issues folder.

Check out the below thread. Wondering if you have a blockage in your lines. Relative to bleeding, check out the second thread where I added something on how I drain and refill my coolant system. And remember there are two bleed screws (the second thread has info on the second screw).

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...acks-this.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...erheating.html

Old 05-08-2017, 05:07 PM
vendetta083
1st Gear
Thats good advice will check all the lines before I go any further . What has me stumped is 97 degrees each time the coolant explodes out the bottle. Why just that temp?

Old 05-10-2017, 10:55 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
I had to go back and real celcius. 97*C and F are terribly different. So, not quite boiling.

Somehow there's no flow. I'd start by pulling the thermostat and double checking operation - drop it in a pot of water and watch until it opens. Also, not sure if it's possible in an r53, but make sure the thermostat is installed properly in the housing. I installed a thermostat backwards in my e34 in college and it took me forever to figure out why it was overheating.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
I did some construction consultant work on an ERL (an x-ray type laser). Was dealing with 4 degrees Kelvin. A 1/2" coolant pipe was about 12" in diameter when you added all the layers and insulation.

4 degrees kelvin = minus 269 celsius or about minus 452 fahrenhiet

On a t-stat, the spring portion goes into the engine and the crown goes toward the radiator.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:23 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
I did some construction consultant work on an ERL (an x-ray type laser). Was dealing with 4 degrees Kelvin. A 1/2" coolant pipe was about 12" in diameter when you added all the layers and insulation.

4 degrees kelvin = minus 269 celsius or about minus 452 fahrenhiet

On a t-stat, the spring portion goes into the engine and the crown goes toward the radiator.
I haven't heard kelvin since I dropped out of engineering freshman year... Sounds like a fun project!

Old 05-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
I asked one of the physicist what type of tolerance they would need on the concrete floor. He says 5 angstroms that I write down like a dummy. I come to the next meeting a week later and have to tell him we cannot get that type of tolerance (an angstrom is like the size of an atom) on a concrete floor, lets plan on 1/8" in 10'. He looks at me, and in a disappointed look says "OK I will just have to shim the track." I had to sit there with a straight face as in my feeble mind all I could think of was a screw jack for an atom.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:21 AM
CSP
5th Gear
What was the verdict on this?

Old 05-15-2017, 06:42 PM
vendetta083
1st Gear
Verdict

Havent had the chance to get into it this weekend will try all suggestions. Check the coolant lines oil cooler heat exchange. What I did do was check the radiator. Pressure test and that's fine .