Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Fan, battery issues, not like others I've read about. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:13 AM
mbeasom@yahoo.com
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan, battery issues, not like others I've read about. Help!

I bought an 03 S just a few months ago, and I absolutely love it! I've had several problems arise the past few weeks, though, and need some help. So, the first issue was that my battery died if it say for more than about 3 days without being driven. This happens pretty frequently since I am a homeschool mom and work from home. Supposedly the small dealership where we bought it had just replaced the battery, so I was very surprised when it died the first time. Had it charged, tested good, put it back in. Same thing in about another week. Dead. Assuming that it was a problem with the battery itself, I bought a new one, an Optima. Seemed good for a couple, maybe 3 weeks, then dead again. Something draining it, perhaps?

Then I got stuck in traffic one day and the temperature rose enough to turn on the red light on the gauge. Boo! I quickly got it cooled down, appeared to be ok. Must be a fan problem. I've​ been reading posts about fan issues for several weeks trying to figure it out, but none seen to match my problem exactly. The fan does not come on at all. Never! Fuses all check out, relay on the fan replaced because I didn't get the reading I thought I should have gotten when testing it. Resistor on fan looks brand new. Wiring at the resistor and relay looks strange. 2 plugs, split into one with the large wires, one with the small ones. These go to the resistor and relay, but it looks like someone has replaced this because there are butt connectors everywhere, and I'm wondering if they got something won't and it is causing a drain on the battery and preventing the fan from functioning properly. Maybe need a new fan assembly altogether?

​​​​​​In checking things out, I discovered it was low on oil. No warning light or anything, dipstick just read low. Found a couple oil leaks. Oil pan gasket, oil filter housing gasket, crank sensor oring. No problem there. It's obvious what needs to be done.

Here's the big question, I guess. Could the battery and fan issues be related? Does someone have a photo of what the fan wiring inside the little housing containing the relay and resistor should look like? Maybe I can redo it if I know where everything should go. I'm not an expert, can't really read wiring diagrams, but I can figure out a picture.

Any and all photos, theories or suggestions are appreciated.
Just a lady who loves Minis

Old 05-03-2017, 08:57 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
cooling and battery have a common part, the belt and crank pulley

Old 05-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM. There is an immense amount of information on your generation of car here between the threads, the members and the vendors. Have you checked out the below thread on the fan/relay/ac? There are pictures and wiring of the different plugs (there were changes in 05) and the relay at the fan.

Have you jumped the fan motors to make sure they are working? To me this is step 1. Once you are sure you have power, then test the relays, plugs etc. The low speed fan should come on whenever the AC is turned on (and as long as the AC compressor has pressure). The high speed works off the temperature.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-solution.html

Old 05-03-2017, 01:07 PM
mbeasom@yahoo.com
Neutral
Jumped the fan and it came on, so I know it works, but isn't being kicked on properly for whatever reason.
if the belt and crank pulley were an issue, would the car still run perfectly? Absolutely purrs until it overheats. Neither stage fan ever comes on as far as I can tell

Old 05-03-2017, 03:29 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
The fan is electrical so the belt and pulley has no impact other than possibly not charging the battery. If the battery is low than you will get some crazy codes and the car will not start. I would start with the harness at the plugs that you noted.

Did you find any info in the thread I gave you?

Old 05-03-2017, 03:42 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
yeah I was not referring the he fan

the alternator and water pump are driven off the belt, if the crank pulley is slipping like mine did when it went out, the waterpump and alternator wont be spinning fast

if the belt or pulley are completely failed and not spinning you will also lose power steering

Old 05-04-2017, 06:13 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mega72
yeah I was not referring the he fan

the alternator and water pump are driven off the belt, if the crank pulley is slipping like mine did when it went out, the waterpump and alternator wont be spinning fast

if the belt or pulley are completely failed and not spinning you will also lose power steering
Yes, but if the fan isn't turning on at all, that wouldn't have to do w/ the belt. Are there separate temp sensors and sending units on our cars? I ask thinking that the sensor responsible for triggering the fan could have gone, but that wouldn't be the case if it's one unit, since the temp gauge and warning lights seem to work.

Anyway, testing for charging issues should be as minor as taking a trip to your local automotive box store.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:34 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
testing the lowspeed is easy, turn on the ac.

Testing the High speed is not, the only time I can get mine to turn on is if I'm autocrossing or doing a trackday.

if my car started overheating and the battery was going dead there is one common part, the belt. I actually had this happen to my car.

it could be two unrelated problems, the fans resistors are crappy, just replace the whole fan assembly the are 70 $ from rockauto

as for going dead over time, there could be a module not shutting off it's a pain in the behind to find which one, and I only hear about this on bmw's.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:49 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Completely unrelated to your issues, I'd strongly suggest getting your screen name changed unless you enjoy receiving tons of spam every time you open your email.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:18 AM
mbeasom@yahoo.com
Neutral
Thanks for the help so far...

I do not believe there is any problem with the belt. Power steering works fine. My husband has decided to send the car to The Shop, a specialty Land Rover and BMW Mini shop. This is going to be a car I keep for as long as possible, so I want it fixed correctly. These folks have been very good to us in the past, when we had a Land Rover Discovery. We trust them to do it right, and give us the best possible price. I'll be sure to send more info when I find out what the problems are. I'm really thinking there's about a 90% chance the fan is bad, or the wiring has been screwed up by others.
Oh, and I'll get that screen name changed. Thanks

Old 05-12-2017, 04:19 AM
mbeasom@yahoo.com
Neutral
Update

Ok, I don't know if anyone cares, or could use this information, but I'm going to pass along anyway, just in case

problem #1- oil leaks: MINI of Kennesaw told me I needed an oil pan gasket, oil filter housing gasket, and crank sensor o-ring. Their price: $1400+-
THE SHOP price $600

problem #2- overheating in traffic: more than one issue here. First of all, the fan motor was shot, apparently. Fan replaced.

problem #3- battery drains after just a couple days sitting: see fan issue above. I believe I mentioned that the wiring on the fan looked tampered with. Even with all the applicable fuses, relays, etc. removed, the fan was still HOT. I didn't hear the final word yet, but the initial thought was that someone had hard wired it to the power steering pump, which is apparently always powered. This, or course, killed my battery, and burned up the fan. I don't think it has worked at all the whole time I've owned it. Only when I finally got caught in traffic, something I rarely have to deal with, did it become an issue.

THE SHOP charged $1900 for everything. I'll update again once everything is final. Should be able to pick it up today. To anyone in the ATL area, they are awesome!

Old 05-12-2017, 04:54 AM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 165 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by mbeasom@yahoo.com
Ok, I don't know if anyone cares, or could use this information, but I'm going to pass along anyway, just in case

problem #1- oil leaks: MINI of Kennesaw told me I needed an oil pan gasket, oil filter housing gasket, and crank sensor o-ring. Their price: $1400+-
THE SHOP price $600
To do this they needed to drop the front subframe. Next time keep us more up to date....The labor is more than the parts. At that time it gave them instant access to replace front control arm bushings ( Powerflex purple bushings they last forever ) and Front Sway bar bushings ( Powerflex version, either black or purple - huge handling upgrade ) In an 03' at time of the oil pan gasket repair, they should have asked if you wanted these replaced. Just to go back in to replace the bushings now is another $600.00 labor charge....

problem #2- overheating in traffic: more than one issue here. First of all, the fan motor was shot, apparently. Fan replaced.
TYC sell the identical cooling fan assy for under $100.00, a $300.00 savings in parts.

problem #3- battery drains after just a couple days sitting: see fan issue above. I believe I mentioned that the wiring on the fan looked tampered with. Even with all the applicable fuses, relays, etc. removed, the fan was still HOT. I didn't hear the final word yet, but the initial thought was that someone had hard wired it to the power steering pump, which is apparently always powered. This, or course, killed my battery, and burned up the fan. I don't think it has worked at all the whole time I've owned it. Only when I finally got caught in traffic, something I rarely have to deal with, did it become an issue.
the cable to the pump has been known to be compromised and melt and even cause fires...there is a recall for the harness and the PS Pumps.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:41 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by mbeasom@yahoo.com
...problem #1- oil leaks: MINI of Kennesaw told me I needed an oil pan gasket, oil filter housing gasket, and crank sensor o-ring. Their price: $1400+- THE SHOP price $600
Originally Posted by Eurothrasher
To do this they needed to drop the front subframe. Next time keep us more up to date....The labor is more than the parts. At that time it gave them instant access to replace front control arm bushings ( Powerflex purple bushings they last forever ) and Front Sway bar bushings ( Powerflex version, either black or purple - huge handling upgrade ) In an 03' at time of the oil pan gasket repair, they should have asked if you wanted these replaced. Just to go back in to replace the bushings now is another $600.00 labor charge...
@mbeasom:

IMO, both prices are too high for the work involved here; about $35 in gaskets and a leisurely day in the garage... Unfortunately, some folks are either not mechanically inclined, or do not have the facility to perform these tasks, so you're at the mercy of the shop. If there's a possibility that you or your husband can find the time and place to work on your MINI, you will save loads of cash doing so. Most jobs that need to be done on these cars are not overly difficult, with tutorials well documented both on this forum and on YouTube.

@Eurothrasher:

Not sure who's doing the work on your MINI, but you most certainly DO NOT have to drop the subframe to replace an oil pan gasket, oil filter housing gasket or crank sensor o-ring.

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 05-12-2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Clarification